Drivers License + Passport NOT proof of residency?!?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gund

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 28, 2009
    They are trying to meet the requirements of the Real ID act.

It's basically to prevent illegal immigrants from getting licenses. I thought some of you guys were really into this...

If you don't get a Real ID-type ID, you won't be able to enter federal buildings or fly on a plane in the future.

You can get a normal ID instead though. Works fine for driving and other stuff. Until companies refuse to accept the normal ID as identification.

**** the Indiana government for not having the balls to refuse implementation of this.

Though residency can't be that hard to prove can it?

Complain about other parts of the requirements, not the residency one.

The full list of documents proving your Indiana residency includes:

• Computer-generated bill issued by a utility company, credit card company, doctor, or hospital showing your name and address of residence. Bill must be dated within 60 days of the date of application. [Come on everybody has something like this]
    • Bank statement or bank transaction receipt showing your name and address of residence, and the bank’s name and mailing address. Statement or receipt must be dated within 60 days of the date of application. [Or this]
    • Pre-printed pay stub showing your name and address of residence, and your employer’s name and address. Pay stub must be dated within 60 days of the application date. [Or this]
    • W-2 form, property or excise tax bill, or Social Security Administration or other pension or retirement annual benefits summary statement showing your name and address of residence. The form, bill, or statement must be dated within the current or immediately prior year. [Or this]
    • Medicaid or Medicare benefit statement showing your name and address of residence. Statement must be dated within 60 days of the application date.
    • Current valid homeowner’s, renter’s, or motor vehicle insurance policy showing your name and address of residence. Policy must be dated within one year of the application date. [You'll need insurance to drive... come on]
    • Current motor vehicle loan payment book for a motor vehicle registered in your name, and showing your name and address of residence.
    • Residential mortgage or similar loan contract, lease, or rental contract showing your name, address of residence, and signatures from all parties needed to execute the agreement. The agreement must be dated within 12 months of the date of application.
    • Child support check stub issued by the Indiana Department of Child Services showing your name and address of residence. Check stub must be dated within 60 days of the application date.
    • First-class mail from federal or state court or agency showing your name and address of residence. Mail must be dated within 60 days of the application date.
    • Indiana voter registration card.
    • Change-of-address confirmation from the United States Postal Service showing your prior and current address (Form CNL107).
    • Survey of your Indiana property issued by a licensed surveyor and showing your name and address of residence.
    • Valid Indiana handgun permit showing your name, signature, address of residence, and date of birth.
    The previous guy who posted the requirements left out the easy ones. This list is straight from the indiana bmv website, where did he get his?

Last edited:

fst aslp

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2009
    Zionsville, IN
    I just went through this. I had tried two times before, but it was so frustrating I gave up. Then when I went after the first of the year, the rules had changed and I wasn't prepared again. Finally I got through the process only to get some cheesy piece of paper. Let's see how that goes trying to get into the Cincinnati bars this weekend.

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    The previous guy who posted the requirements left out the easy ones. This list is straight from the indiana bmv website, where did he get his?

From their website at this link. And, again, a carry license will do it, I think the OP said elsewhere in prior threads he has one.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    They are trying to meet the requirements of the Real ID act.

It's basically to prevent illegal immigrants from getting licenses. I thought some of you guys were really into this...

If you don't get a Real ID-type ID, you won't be able to enter federal buildings or fly on a plane in the future.

Confused on this. Right now if I went to reapply for my DL (not expired yet) do I have the option of getting the "SecureID" by providing the proper forms or just getting a "basic" non-secure DL?

The full list of documents proving your Indiana residency includes:

• Computer-generated bill issued by a utility company, credit card company, doctor, or hospital showing your name and address of residence. Bill must be dated within 60 days of the date of application. [Come on everybody has something like this]
    Not true for a 16 or 17 year old. 16-17 years old live @ home so mom/dad pays the bills. Does not own a credit card under their own name & can't until 18. Medical bills would go to the person who pays the insurance (mom/dad) with 16-17 year old name inside as PATIENT.
    • Bank statement or bank transaction receipt showing your name and address of residence, and the bank’s name and mailing address. Statement or receipt must be dated within 60 days of the date of application. [Or this]
    Not true for a 16 or 17 year old. 16-17 years old live @ home so mom/dad pays the bills.
    • Pre-printed pay stub showing your name and address of residence, and your employer’s name and address. Pay stub must be dated within 60 days of the application date. [Or this]
    Not true for a 16 or 17 year old. 16-17 years old live @ home so mom/dad pays the bills. My sister did not get her first job until age 22 AFTER done with college!
    • W-2 form, property or excise tax bill, or Social Security Administration or other pension or retirement annual benefits summary statement showing your name and address of residence. The form, bill, or statement must be dated within the current or immediately prior year. [Or this]
    Not true for a 16 or 17 year old. 16-17 years old live @ home so mom/dad pays the bills. My sister did not get her first job until age 22 AFTER done with college! Also unless kid is disabled or getting children benefits SSA won't be sending them anything! A replacement SS card must be done at the field office so again no mail.
    • Medicaid or Medicare benefit statement showing your name and address of residence. Statement must be dated within 60 days of the application date.
    Not true for a 16 or 17 year old.
    • Current valid homeowner’s, renter’s, or motor vehicle insurance policy showing your name and address of residence. Policy must be dated within one year of the application date. [You'll need insurance to drive... come on]
    Not true for a 16 or 17 year old. 16-17 year old will be placed on policy of mom/dad so the mail will still be labelled under mom/dad's name! Now perhaps on the update policy papers it may show her name but not sure.

• Current motor vehicle loan payment book for a motor vehicle registered in your name, and showing your name and address of residence.
    Not true for a 16 or 17 year old. 16-17 years old live @ home so mom/dad pays the bills. Suspect most 16-17 don't have a car payment either!
    • Residential mortgage or similar loan contract, lease, or rental contract showing your name, address of residence, and signatures from all parties needed to execute the agreement. The agreement must be dated within 12 months of the date of application.
    Not true for a 16 or 17 year old. 16-17 years old live @ home so mom/dad pays the bills.
    • Child support check stub issued by the Indiana Department of Child Services showing your name and address of residence. Check stub must be dated within 60 days of the application date.
    Not true for a 16 or 17 year old would not really apply.
    • First-class mail from federal or state court or agency showing your name and address of residence. Mail must be dated within 60 days of the application date.
    Not true for a 16 or 17 year old would not really apply unless 16-17 is a bad person and dealing with the courts.
    • Indiana voter registration card.
    Not true for a 16 or 17 year old not old enouigh to vote!
    • Change-of-address confirmation from the United States Postal Service showing your prior and current address (Form CNL107).
    • Survey of your Indiana property issued by a licensed surveyor and showing your name and address of residence.
    • Valid Indiana handgun permit showing your name, signature, address of residence, and date of birth.
    Well I guess you could do this one. :rolleyes:
    ----
    The law was not written with the 16/17 year old in mind from the looks of it. :faint:

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    Confused on this. Right now if I went to reapply for my DL (not expired yet) do I have the option of getting the "SecureID" by providing the proper forms or just getting a "basic" non-secure DL?

----
    The law was not written with the 16/17 year old in mind from the looks of it. :faint:

For kids, or others who don't have the documents, you have to do this:

If you cannot provide two documents proving your Indiana residency you may submit an Indiana Residency Affidavit if you meet the following qualifications:

• You cannot submit the required documents. An Indiana Residency Affidavit for you must be signed at a license branch by a person who resides with you. The person signing the affidavit must submit their valid Indiana driver's license or identification card, one document proving their identity, and two documents proving their Indiana residency.
    • You are incapacitated. An Indiana Residency Affidavit for you must be signed at a license branch by another person who is your legal guardian or caregiver, is at least 18 years old, and who resides with you. The legal guardian or caregiver must submit their valid Indiana driver's license or identification card, one document proving their identity, two documents proving their Indiana residency, and applicable guardianship documents.
    • Homeless applicants without a residence address. An Indiana Residency Affidavit for you must be signed by a legal representative of the government entity or not-for-profit organization where they receive services and can receive mail. You must also provide a letter from the government entity or not-for-profit organization on its letterhead showing its name, address, and telephone number, and showing the legal representative’s name, signature, and signature date. The legal representative must state in the letter that the entity or organization provides services to the applicant and will accept delivery of mail for the applicant.
    • You reside in a motor vehicle, including but not limited to a mobile home or motor home. An Indiana Residency Affidavit for you must be signed at a license branch by another Indiana resident who attests that you may use his or her address of residence for record purposes. The person signing the affidavit must submit two documents proving their Indiana residency. You must provide proof of paying Indiana income taxes for the current year or immediately prior year, and have current motor vehicle title and registration records with the BMV.
    • You have a rural route mail delivery address. You must provide a properly certified government-issued document showing your name and a description of the residence’s location.
    If you are enrolled in a truck driving training school located in Indiana, you must show proof of enrollment and present your out-of-state driver’s license.

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    My own Indiana BMV story:

I took the written test, and got one incorrect. The question asked for the factor that MOST contributed to carbon monoxide poisoning. I chose the most contributing factor. One of the choices was "All of the Above."

I pointed out that you can't have three things of differing effects be the "most,", only one could be the most. The nice lady didn't understand my argument, but she gave me a number to call to report bad questions. I decided to do my civic duty and report the question. I called the number and was transfered and transfered around, hung up on, spoken to rudely, and every place I was transfered was flummoxed as to why I had been transferred to them. I kept going because I found it amusing. Never did get to report the bad question.

gund

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 28, 2009

----

From what I understand, right now the default is secureID (since 01/01/10). You have to provide those documents. You'll get a temporary paper one, and after a week you get the official secureID one in the mail. They probably need to confirm everything like legal status manually with another department/database. Or stick your information into one nice database.

You can request to get a basic one though, if you can't provide those documents at this time.

It's a little scary to find that you need a specific ID to enter a federal building. Is an ID required now? The federal building in Lafayette doesn't require any ID to walk around. Haven't entered the federal courtroom in it though.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    From what I understand, right now the default is secureID (since 01/01/10). You have to provide those documents. You'll get a temporary paper one, and after a week you get the official secureID one in the mail. They probably need to confirm everything like legal status manually with another department/database. Or stick your information into one nice database.

You can request to get a basic one though, if you can't provide those documents at this time.

It's a little scary to find that you need a specific ID to enter a federal building. Is an ID required now? The federal building in Lafayette doesn't require any ID to walk around. Haven't entered the federal courtroom in it though.

Thanks gund! My license expires in 2013 & I have no desire to get a SecureID so hopefully I can still get a basic one. Not that I have to worry since the end of the world is 2012. :D

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    He wouldn't say, but I said "My Social Security number is NOT on my DL, so explain why there's a problem."

Unless it has been changed, you Social Security number is not supposed to be on your DL unless you hold a Commercial Drivers License (CDL), then it is required by law to be on there to prevent multiple state licenses.

Of course this might have changed since I got mine renewed 2 years ago, but the Social Security number was removed from regular DL's to prevent ID theft.

Also, never, and I mean NEVER if your are asked to provide your DL as ID to write or cash a check, do not let them write your Social Security number down, they may only use your drivers license #, they cannot use your SSN as as ID number.

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    Why did we rush into this:

Move to National ID Cards Delayed

The United States’ quest for a national identification database associated with driver’s licenses won’t be finished by year’s end.
    The deadline was Dec. 31 for the states to create what would be the largest identification database of its kind under the auspices of the Real ID program. The law also mandates uniform anti-counterfeiting standards for state driver’s licenses.
    None of the states are in full compliance with the law, first adopted in 2005, requiring state motor vehicle bureaus to obtain and internally scan and store personal information like Social Security cards and birth certificates for a national database, according to the American Civil Liberties Union. About half the states oppose the mandate, or have said they would never comply.
    Beginning Jan.1, the law was supposed to have blocked anybody from boarding a plane using their driver’s license as ID if their resident state did not comport with the Real ID program. But the Department of Homeland Security is set to extend, for at least a year, the deadline of the Real ID program that has raised the ire of privacy advocates.
    Homeland Security officials point to the 9/11 hijackers’ ability to get driver’s licenses in Virginia using false information as justification for the proposed $24 billion program.
    The American Civil Liberties Union and the Electronic Frontier Foundation suggest the plan is misguided, and might pave the way for requiring such IDs to vote or purchase prescription drugs.
    “Our biggest concern is that it is a national ID card. It changes the relationship between the citizen and the state,” Chris Calabrese, the ACLU’s legislative counsel, said in a telephone interview. “We see it as a potential mission creep, and an individual’s rights can be curtailed because of this.”
    Richard Esguerra, the EFF’s residence activist, said in a telephone interview Monday and in a recent blog post that the giant database, if it ever comes to fruition, “threatens citizens’ personal privacy without actually justifying its impact or improving security.”
    Map: ACLU
    See Also:

Read More http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2009/12/real_id/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+wired%2Fpolitics+(Wired%3A+Politics)#ixzz0dUoVtksV

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    Again, I can get into ANY Federal bldg., with My Retired Military I.D. When I go for my next D.L. I am going to request the UNSECURE one, show my I.D. and say I can get in ANY Fed. bldg... ha ha ha...

norman428

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Noblesville
    I went to the BMV to update my license when I moved, they said I needed to prove all the fun stuff like new address, ect. I brought 2 bills, old license, and my Birth Certificate. Everything but my old License says i have a middle name. They refused to re-issue it until I got angry, I left with my new license, but they wouldn't add my middle name.
    I assume I will have this problem every time I have to renew.
    Its hard to believe the amount of BS you have to do to prove your identity, but yet when its stolen they have no explanation?

Top Bottom