• ...and so much more!
  • ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Hey I'll be driving into Chicago Saturday for a concert (coming back Saturday night). If I keep my gun in my car, should I run into any problems? I've never driven out of state... Does anyone stop you and check your car? I know Illinois is pretty ***-backwards with gun laws... But since it's only a few hours, and I won't be carrying out of the car... Should I be ok?

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    YOU WILL BE VIOLATING THE LAW.

The only way to travel with a gun in the car in IL is with it unloaded and locked in the trunk. Ammo must also be in the trunk.

posted from my phone while sitting unarmed in Chicago Heights IL in a parking lot.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Hey I'll be driving into Chicago

If I keep my gun in my car, should I run into any problems?

If you get pulled over and the cop searches your car, you'd pretty well be hosed.

I've never driven out of state... Does anyone stop you and check your car?

Not as a matter of course, as if you were living in a 3rd world country or something, but if you get pulled over, the possibility does exist.

You're going to be in your car the entire time, except when you're at the show. Under what circumstances might you need your gun? Do you see those circumstances as more or less likely than getting pulled over? Assess the risks, make the choice.

Good luck.

clt46910

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Akron Indiana
    IIRC, unless you are traveling through the state going somewhere else and you do not have one of their cards. You are not allowed to have any firearm in your vehicle. They will be stopping out of state cars, I would not take the chance.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    LEAVE YOUR GUN AT HOME!
    When entering IL and/or CA it is best to see above.

IANAL
    If you "must" bring it with you.
    1) It must be in a locked storage device that is not accessible to you or anyone else in the car. AKA ina locked box in your turck.
    2) NO ammo can be "inside" the gun, in the magazine in the gun, in the magazine NOT in the gun but in the same locked storage container. AKA your ammo and mag must be in another SEPERATE loced storage container also in the trunck.

As such since you must do 1 and 2 to transport the gun in IL you are better off just taking a big stick and some rocks with you.

BTW if your final destination is within the City of Chicago you can NOT bring your gun period! Even if you follow the rules above becuase the City of Chicago does not allow guns period! If you were say going to Springfield, IL and had to pass thru Chicago you could follow the rules above and be OK since you are only traveling thru chicago but not stopping.

again
    LEAVE YOUR GUN AT HOME!

TripleL

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2009
    The Rockies
    Like everyone said, don't bring your gun! Considering you haven't even driven out of state, Chicago is going to be one BIG surprise. Depending on where the concert is in Chicago, you're going to need a lot of homework in finding your way around. Lots of toll gates, lots of freeways, lots of drivers who are in a hurry and who could easily tell if you're lost and couldn't care less.

You'll need plenty of time to get to where you're going but I wouldn't worry about being stopped and searched. Unless you make a wrong turn and end up in Gary, you won't need your gun. It'll be late when you head back from the concert so just multiply the challenges you had going there by a hundred! If you're taking I-65 South to get home, stay extra alert for the exit...it's easy to miss!

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Looks like a pretty resounding answer... Thanks everyone. Will leave it home and not take any risks in the situation. I appreciate it

gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART
    You are heading into the People's Republic of Illinois... This is how you can travel with some peace of mind.

Instructions:

• Leave your handgun at home.
    • Repeat the following: "Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me."

VN Vet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Their Toll Road Sytem is very confusing. Please pay very close attention to which lane you need to be in to pay your toll with cash. They do not give you much warning, and with the heavy traffice, you will likely be in the wrong lane and you will be forced to use their Auto Pay lane. You will be photo graphed. However, you will have about 10 Days to pay the toll before you are put on their wanted list.

This happened to me and I ran five toll booths. I paid mine on line. I think five tolls cost me six bucks.

Just be careful and plan your route. Use a GPS if you can.

Astrocreep

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2009
    Indy
    Locked in the trunk or not, it is illegal to possess a handgun in Chicago.
    *(unless, of course, you are a member of the ruling-class)

2nd best case scenario, and most likely:
    someone breaks in to your car and steals it while you're at the show.

God help you if the cops find it.

rodeoclown

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Didnt Chicago just pass a new law that if anybody gets caught with an un registered firearm in the city it is a madatory 5 days in jail, i read that or heard it on the news.I live in Glenview Il and when I heard it i thought to myself I have to figure away around Chicago.

rodeoclown

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Steve Miller Reporting
    CHICAGO (WBBM) -- A Chicago city council committee has voted to approve a mandatory five-day jail sentence for anybody caught with an illegal gun.

The five days in jail would be for the first offense: Caught with an unauthorized gun in the city of Chicago.

The proposal was approved by the city council police and fire committee at the insistence of some West Side aldermen, including committee chairman Alderman Isaac Carothers.

Carothers says Chicago talks tough on guns - but it's nothing compared to penalties imposed in other cities like New York.

"And we say we are hard on guns and drugs and gangs. And yet we don't have any laws in this state or in this city that says if you're caught with an illegal weapon, you're going to get some mandatory time. Even if it's one day."

A couple of aldermen objected - saying the ordinance would penalize shop owners who carry a gun for protection.

Representatives from the city law department were questioned about how effective the ordinance would be, since most gun cases end up as felonies - and that takes them out of the city's jurisdiction.

The proposal is expected before the full city council next week.

Handguns are prohibited in the city of Chicago.

Shotguns and rifles may be kept in Chicago if they are registered.

Contents of this site are Copyright 2009 by WBBM.

Jubbie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2008
    Northwest Indiana (slacker)
    Handguns are prohibited in the city of Chicago.

Shotguns and rifles may be kept in Chicago if they are registered.

The constitution should be left at city limits. If you try to bring it into the city of Chicago we'll shove it where the sun don't shine. Every noise you make in disagreement will carry a fine of $500.

Gotta read between the lines sometimes for what they are actually trying to tell you.

spartan933

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2008
    Porter County
    Hey I'll be driving into Chicago Saturday for a concert (coming back Saturday night). If I keep my gun in my car, should I run into any problems? I've never driven out of state... Does anyone stop you and check your car? I know Illinois is pretty ***-backwards with gun laws... But since it's only a few hours, and I won't be carrying out of the car... Should I be ok?

Just leave it home. It's not worth the risk. And, presuming that you are a young guy, if you are coming home late at night on a Saturday, there will be cops galore. Even if you haven't been drinking, you will hopefully have a girl in the car with you that you met at the concert that has been drinking, and the Police will want to pull you over because she is presumably hot. They would normally let you go with a warning, but because the drunk hot girl in the seat next to you can't shut up, she will mouth off and the police will ask you to step out. Or, even worse, they will think that she is hot, too drunk to make her own decisions, pull you out of the car, hit on her, find your gun, take you to jail, and get her number. Then, your happy ending to your night will be over, the cops will be hitting on your woman, and you will be getting hit on by the serial DUI freak that has been sitting in the County Jail for 6 months.

Don't let that happen to you. Leave the gun at home and take a folding knife.

What concert venue are you going to in Chicago? What band?

spartan933

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2008
    Porter County
    Looks like a pretty resounding answer... Thanks everyone. Will leave it home and not take any risks in the situation. I appreciate it

Poor guy has never driven out of state, let alone in a big city. He is about to get an education. Remember this, if you can drive in Chicago and not get in an accident, or a fight with a cab driver, you can drive anywhere. It's good training. Also, later on, when you take a girl into the city, and she sees how well you drive downtown, she will be impressed and ready to have your children.

Top Bottom