• ...and so much more!
  • BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis

Well this has flown under the radar..

"Permits a person to use an unmanned aerial vehicle with infrared abilities to locate and recover a legally taken animal."

Passed the Senate and its in the house and passed the house committee.

Last edited:

tcecil88

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 18, 2013
    @ the corner of IN, KY & OH.
    The DNR deer survey I took had alot of questions about drones and cell cameras. I feel that if the drone and cell cameras are on private land, then I don't care. On public land drones should not be allowed unless it is used by a company that does recovery services, not an individual.
    I will add that I'm in my treestand and a drone starts buzzing and filming me, it's gonna get shot down, just sayin'.

TAB30-06

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2023
    Otterbein
    I had assumed with the drones questions on the end of season survey this was something that was coming in a year or so. Not in a few weeks :lmfao:. My gut tells me to be opposed to the idea. We’ve got too draw a line somewhere when it comes to technology and hunting.

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    The DNR deer survey I took had alot of questions about drones and cell cameras. I feel that if the drone and cell cameras are on private land, then I don't care. On public land drones should not be allowed unless it is used by a company that does recovery services, not an individual.
    I will add that I'm in my treestand and a drone starts buzzing and filming me, it's gonna get shot down, just sayin'.
    You might want to check the law on that. It is my understanding that molesting a drone is viewed as attacking an aircraft and can have severe penalties.
    Yes, that defies common sense, but the law often does.

JTKelly

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I had assumed with the drones questions on the end of season survey this was something that was coming in a year or so. Not in a few weeks :lmfao:. My gut tells me to be opposed to the idea. We’ve got too draw a line somewhere when it comes to technology and hunting.
    We've drawn a LOT of lines. We drew lines at compound bows, crossbows, shotguns, pistol cartridge rifles... blah blah blah. It is poaching for one generation then "Why not this..." for the next.

Every generation gets lazier than the last until it is gone like a never ending Indiana natural gas field.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    It’s all fun and games until someone gets their drone shot down.
    I saw a show last year about a company in England that charges people to let them shoot down drones.
    They use shotguns with rubber shot and the drones are made to pop apart when hit, then pop back together for the next flight.
    The shooters stood at a station and someone would fly the drones by.

Looked like a tremendous amount of fun.
    I would love to try it.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    My only hesitation with this is that like most other laws on the books covering fishing/hunting, there will be near zero efforts (beyond the COs) to prosecute those violating the law and the few who actually get convicted might lose their drone and maybe pay a what, $30 fine?

If it passes I don't expect too much issue for a few years yet anyway. The barrier of entry on the level of drones which could be used for this effectively is still pretty high but as we all know with tech, that's temporary.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I'm thinking this is a pretty expensive toy for deer recovery. I'll admit to knowing little about their capabilities, but wounded deer are usually in thick cover and how long does it take to get to ground temperature when they die? I would imagine also that bedded deer look a lot like what you are tracking from the air.

Personally I've recovered everything I've shot rather quickly, but there's a reason for this.;)

127mm.jpg

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I'm thinking this is a pretty expensive toy for deer recovery. I'll admit to knowing little about their capabilities, but wounded deer are usually in thick cover and how long does it take to get to ground temperature when they die? I would imagine also that bedded deer look a lot like what you are tracking from the air.

Personally I've recovered everything I've shot rather quickly, but there's a reason for this.;)
    If a wounded deer is still alive it could be extremely difficult to tell a difference. The quality ($10k+) thermal drones are pretty darned impressive. Bright sunlight is a big hinderance for them but colder air temps are better for locating heat sources. If air temps are cold enough you might be able to detect an actively bleeding wound on a bedded deer.

Depending on the daytime camera you can easily locate a deer in the woods, hover over them then switch to the daytime camera and at least tell if you're looking at a mature buck if not identify a specific buck without alerting the deer. The potential for these to be misused by the types that will do anything for a kill is definitely out there but I like the idea of otherwise lost animals being recovered and/or wounded animals having their suffering ended sooner. No perfect answer from my seat.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    I had west highland terrier (rip little man) which I trained to blood track. He recovered many a deer which would have gone to the coyotes as food or the fishes (yes he found a couple while they were completely covered in water).

the major hinderance was me because to use such a dog legally he had to be on a lead no more than 30 feet long in the field. So all the laws have good and bad parts. the little guy was a beast finding down (or wounded deer)

Mij

Permaplinker (thanks to Expat)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    Interesting thread, good info. I was unaware. I’ll have to check this out.

I know if a drone were to fly over my property while I was deer killing, I would definitely shoot it out of the sky given the opportunity. We can then meet in front of a judge and hash it out.

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    Interesting thread, good info. I was unaware. I’ll have to check this out.

I know if a drone were to fly over my property while I was deer killing, I would definitely shoot it out of the sky given the opportunity. We can then meet in front of a judge and hash it out.
    Show up with a bunch of $$. Those drones are not cheap. We are talking $12k plus court costs.

Top Bottom