• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gunsrfun

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 1, 2011
    I bought my son a compound bow and he dry fired it on accident. The string came off the cams and being new to bows I'm looking for info on what to do and where to get it fixed around the north side of Indy.

bdybdall

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2012
    There is a bow shop in downtown Anderson that can help you, you'll have to look it up because I can't remember the name.

Yeah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Dillingham, AK
    Girts Archery is the shop pointed to above. Best bow shop for many many miles in any direction.

You likely won't get them to bless it as safe but they can tell you if the cams/wheels have any damage, get the string replaced, etc. Dry firing simply deals damage to limbs that can't always be seen with even aided eye.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Dry fire can bend axles, damage pivots and collapse cams (as well as tear up strings and cables).
    In general, the more hot rod your bow, the more apt something is to be damaged in a dry fire.

That said, some bows can blow up once or twice and live long.

Some look good and go a while and then let go, but they often give clues right before the BOOM.
    With today's short axle to axle rigs, with large cams..............it's very easy to torque a bow at full draw and roll the string out of the groove (usually when trying to tweak an arrow back onto an arrow rest, after it came off- for whatever reason, or when folks try out new bows of higher # in a shop and draw them without a test release and torque upon start of letdown). Do that and it's gonna jump ahead and make for a decent pop sound........but that might be masked by the pop sound in your britches.

Mathews Monsters, of older shallow cam groove were fun for "know it alls" to blow up.

Cam roll offs are what we call "half dry fires". Usually the string and or cable is damaged (but not always) and the cams get torn up (not always). The limbs fare pretty well on these since it's just a really really fast let down, and not a pop from full draw ;)

gunsrfun

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 1, 2011
    Hookeye sounds like we might have minimal damage since he slipped on the letdown.

Top Bottom