Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Yes

Yes do it. Not going to hurt a thing and snap caps are not necessary. I spent an hour doing it today.

Cemetery-man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Bremen
    I hear time after time that it's OK to do it, and I'm 99% sure it is but that 1% still prevents me from dry firing any of my guns. :)

Captain Bligh

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    Dry firing is how my owners' manuals tell you to lower the hammer after emptying the gun. Hurts nothing.

The no-no's are letting the slide slam home on an empty chamber and loading a round by dropping it in the chamber as opposed to loading from a magazine.

trigger643

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2011
    Dry firing is how my owners' manuals tell you to lower the hammer after emptying the gun. Hurts nothing.

The no-no's are letting the slide slam home on an empty chamber and loading a round by dropping it in the chamber as opposed to loading from a magazine.

For some guns dry firing is an issue, but not 1911s. releasing the slide on an empty chamber is tough, not only on 1911s, but on many guns.

DMarines007

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Are there really any guns that are 'damaged' through dry firing. I have heard of this being the case, but have not actually seen anything like this. Seems that would be a 'brittle' gun that I would be reluctant owning in the first place.

LEGENw84itDARY

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2011
    Fort Wayne

this is what my manual on my browning says, and it says not to lock slide back, place clip in to chamber a round

trigger643

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2011
    Are there really any guns that are 'damaged' through dry firing. I have heard of this being the case, but have not actually seen anything like this. Seems that would be a 'brittle' gun that I would be reluctant owning in the first place.

Yes. I've seen several S&W 41 pistols and other semi-auto .22s with damaged firing pins and chamber areas due to excessive dry firing, galled and/or broken firing pins/breach faces on Lugers, Winchester Model 21 and Beretta 682, damaged hammers and deformed pins on Colt's SAA and New Service revolvers and crushed nipples and deformed hammers on black powder cap & ball guns.

Steel on Steel contact can be pretty tough on guns that were designed only for the pins to strike softer metals, absorbing some of the energy of the blow.

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    If anyone shoots IDPA you will hear "Hammer down on an empty weapon" (pull the trigger to show its clear and safe) after every stage of fire. I don't see it hurting any well designed firearm. Even Ruger 10/22s seem to have a unique firing pin that prevents damage since they don't have a bolt lockback.

Top Bottom