• Do you dry-fire your guns?

• Total voters

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I hear lots of different thing on the subject and I would like to know what you guys think.

Some gun manufacturer will tell you that its fine to dry-fire their guns and that you even NEED to do it to field srtrip them.(like Glock)

Some other will tell you that you should NEVER dry-fire their guns.

What do you guys do?

Dogman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Hamilton County
    I hear lots of different thing on the subject and I would like to know what you guys think.

Some gun manufacturer will tell you that its fine to dry-fire their guns and that you even NEED to do it to field srtrip them.(like Glock)

Some other will tell you that you should NEVER dry-fire their guns.

What do you guys do?

I think it's a good idea to follow the manufacturers instructions.

Brett244

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    Plainfield
    I also wondered the same thing about XD pistols.. If you pull the slide to check for live round, its cocked, leave it cocked or dry fire? It also requires dry fire for breakdown. Whats the best to do?

Dogman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Hamilton County
    I also wondered the same thing about XD pistols.. If you pull the slide to check for live round, its cocked, leave it cocked or dry fire? It also requires dry fire for breakdown. Whats the best to do?

1. before dry firing make sure the gun is unloaded.

2. before dry firing make sure the gun is unloaded.

3. if unsure .... see 1 and 2.

christman

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 27, 2010
    Terra Haute
    So I guess dry firing to make sure the gun is unloaded is frowned upon around here? Jeezzz....How else am I supposed to quickly check?

Brett244

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    Plainfield
    1. before dry firing make sure the gun is unloaded.

2. before dry firing make sure the gun is unloaded.

3. if unsure .... see 1 and 2.

Yes, understood. I am trying to explain when I pick up a gun, I always drop the magazine, and next pull the slide to make sure its not loaded..... THEN the gun is cocked. Springfield XD's have no hammer, no way to release the pin without dry firing.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Maybe it's just me, but I hate to pull the trigger just to practice trigger pull, not for the fear of damaging the gun, but I just don't want to get into the practice of doing it and someday have a ND. I know that sounds foolish, but that's just me.

Dogman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Hamilton County
    Yes, understood. I am trying to explain when I pick up a gun, I always drop the magazine, and next pull the slide to make sure its not loaded..... THEN the gun is cocked. Springfield XD's have no hammer, no way to release the pin without dry firing.

Keeping it cocked instead of dry firing it won't hurt the gun if thats what your asking. It stays cocked when its loaded.

Last edited:

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Maybe it's just me, but I hate to pull the trigger just to practice trigger pull, not for the fear of damaging the gun, but I just don't want to get into the practice of doing it and someday have a ND. I know that sounds foolish, but that's just me.

I find the absolute reverse to be the case. Before I dry-fire I triple-check both visually and by feel and my ritual is to be sure I have a proper backstop and the like. Because it's a ritual to put in that much safety, I find I am MUCH more aware of where the gun is pointed and what my hands are doing when I am handling it, IE the body memory is more oriented towards safety.

Dogman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Hamilton County

Triple check that the gun is unloaded and trust yourself, if your still not sure check again. Dry firing is a cheap way to practice.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    Triple check that the gun is unloaded and trust yourself, if your still not sure check again. Dry firing is a cheap way to practice.

This. Dry firing is a great way to practice technique (assuming your gun is okay for it). It is very economical and is also great when the weather is poor. I've taken classes with multiple trainers that recommend it.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy

I always do that when I pick up a gun and then I dry-fire it (pointed in a safe direction after I checked three times the chamber was empty).
    Even with my Kel-Tec who says not to dry fire it, I just dont dry fire it all day long like I would do with a Glock but I do it once after I checked.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    ...be sure I have a proper backstop and the like.

+1. There is no reason to violate any of the safety rules in order to dry fire.

...I just don't want to get into the practice of doing it and someday have a ND. I know that sounds foolish, but that's just me.

A negligent discharge into a backstop you were aiming at is not a big safety deal, just an unwelcome surprise.

Get a large bucket of sand or something.

MedicMike

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 22, 2009
    Henryville, IN
    I bought a 92fs at a really good price needing a trigger spring. Come to find out it also needed a firing pin. After talking with the last owner he dried fired all the time to " not lose the feel of the trigger." Need less to say after a spring kit and firing pin I still got a really good deal.

Top Bottom