• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ziggy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 1, 2013
    Fort Wayne area
    A gun shop owner I spoke with recommended against dry firing. From time to time he gets guns in for repair that have been damaged by dry firing. As he said, no one has ever said it to good for a gun to be dry fired. That makes sense to me. Occasionally, probably will not hurt the gun but if it is done hundreds of times, that may be a different story.
    USGI guns dry fired millions of times? - but then the gov is not known for being careful or frugal with its property. Its objectives may be different than that of a typical private gun owner.
    Thanks to all who posted. I appreciate getting different people's POV.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    Generally on modern guns it is OK to dry fire center fire weapons, but not OK dry fire rim fire guns.

Psssst, it's 2013. Many modern rimfires have firing pin stops built into them.

Think about how many billions of times 10/22s have been dry fired on the 11th round. ;)

Its best to simply learn about your rimfire, and see if its OK to dry fire or not.

That is why I said in "general" the rule of thumb is not to dry fire a rimfire.

:ingo: Where even if your right, your wrong.

MorePowerWes

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2013
    Palmyra, In
    If in doubt, read the owner's manual for the firearm in question. Yes, the Glock manual states you have to dry fire to field strip. And this is correct. But I have also seen instances of breech face failure in Glocks due to EXCESSIVE dry firing. One can only imagine how many times it took to do it, but it still happened. And yes, dry firing a rimfire is GENERALLY a bad idea, even many modern ones. Once again, refer to the owner's manual. And if there is still any doubt get some snap caps.

445supermag

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2012
    Rising Sun, IN
    I pick up a henery 22 mag last janurday some one must had dry fire a lot. I tyr to chamber a round I had a hard time trying to load a round. I had to take the gun down to see whats the trouble. I looks like it was dry fire a lot. I had to file the chamber to get a round to go down in the chamber. Some guns you can dry fire som you can not.

rhkirk1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 15, 2008
    I did have an issue with a taurus 85 that I dry fired quite a bit. The firing pin spring got "stuck" and the firing pin wouldn't retract. It may have happened with regular firing too, but since then I've always been a little leary of dry firing.

Top Bottom