• Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    Dry practice on the line is fine.
    Multiple people in a classroom handling guns is difficult to pull off without someone getting swept.

I have decided I will not handle guns in the classroom so that I am modeling what I expect of the students.

I know of other instructors that handle guns in the room. Their decision. But students doing it has too many issues to do it safely.

I have very poor posting talent so I want to try to clear up what I am saying. As an instructor I do not use a toy gun to make any points. I use a real gun and do not break any rules in front of the class. I know of many instructors that do. I witnessed and have seen videos of so called instructors sweep the class and themselves many times with both an unloaded gun and a blue gun. I do not do this. Ever. I do not teach in what not to do, but in what and how to do it. I allow all students to carry holstered or bagged into the classroom but they must got though a checkpoint if I am running a cold range. As far as a classroom setting I do not allow any handling of any types of firearms or toys by the class while they are sitting in the classroom. If it is in an indoor classroom (I do most everything outside for the last 10 years or so) the class is brought to the line as a safe table against a wall (no more than 4 per Range Officer at a time) to practice total presentations and dry fires, reholstering and mag changes and such. Any unattended students (I limit the number in my classes these days) are watched by another RO and/or sergeant of arms while I am busy. For larger groups, I pay my Range Officers out of my proceeds and they continue to help on the line as well. These are only RO's that I trust with my life.This has worked well for me for many years and I will stay with this format. My help is well trained in watching and interacting with the student so that I can have eyes behind my back so to speak. When I run a cold range, any student that leaves the room ( to pee or get something out of the car) has to go through my SOA before getting back in the class. When I run a hot range a student is dismissed if he handles his firearm at the wrong time including lifting half out his holster to manipulate a mag check, barney or mag change at the belt level. No exceptions. I try to maintain a relationship with all my students and invite them back for follow up sessions without charge to monitor their improvement. Many times as an invite we will set up a COF and have fun as well as continue learning through out the year. I am not saying what everybody else does is wrong but this is what I do and I can only speak for me.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Blue guns are limited in the types of gun (not cheap if purchasing multiple blue guns, plus blue guns are mostly glock, which has a different grip angle than most handguns). If the student has a firearm that is not made in blue gun, might be hard to adjust on gripping when switching to their own (firearm grip size and hand size varies). Dry firing to the actual gun the student owns has better learning carry over in being proficient to that firearm IMO.

Like everyone said above, implementing the safety has to be really strict if actual firearms are to be used (the barrel plugs are a guarantee).
    id reverse that, Blue Guns are mostly everything BUT Glock. It’s actually kind of difficult to get Glock Blue guns, and I have an account with Rings.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    I have very poor posting talent so I want to try to clear up what I am saying. As an instructor I do not use a toy gun to make any points. I use a real gun and do not break any rules in front of the class. I know of many instructors that do. I witnessed and have seen videos of so called instructors sweep the class and themselves many times with both an unloaded gun and a blue gun. I do not do this. Ever. I do not teach in what not to do, but in what and how to do it. I allow all students to carry holstered or bagged into the classroom but they must got though a checkpoint if I am running a cold range. As far as a classroom setting I do not allow any handling of any types of firearms or toys by the class while they are sitting in the classroom. If it is in an indoor classroom (I do most everything outside for the last 10 years or so) the class is brought to the line as a safe table against a wall (no more than 4 per Range Officer at a time) to practice total presentations and dry fires, reholstering and mag changes and such. Any unattended students (I limit the number in my classes these days) are watched by another RO and/or sergeant of arms while I am busy. For larger groups, I pay my Range Officers out of my proceeds and they continue to help on the line as well. These are only RO's that I trust with my life.This has worked well for me for many years and I will stay with this format. My help is well trained in watching and interacting with the student so that I can have eyes behind my back so to speak. When I run a cold range, any student that leaves the room ( to pee or get something out of the car) has to go through my SOA before getting back in the class. When I run a hot range a student is dismissed if he handles his firearm at the wrong time including lifting half out his holster to manipulate a mag check, barney or mag change at the belt level. No exceptions. I try to maintain a relationship with all my students and invite them back for follow up sessions without charge to monitor their improvement. Many times as an invite we will set up a COF and have fun as well as continue learning through out the year. I am not saying what everybody else does is wrong but this is what I do and I can only speak for me.
    I am curious if you’ve ever been outside the house in the real world, perhaps a combat zone, maybe, a Force on Force class, or I don’t know, LIFE? No one, I repeat, NO ONE can ever handle a firearm everyday in real life, and NOT muzzle something that shouldn’t be destroyed? You may say it, but it’s a lie.

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    I am curious if you’ve ever been outside the house in the real world, perhaps a combat zone, maybe, a Force on Force class, or I don’t know, LIFE? No one, I repeat, NO ONE can ever handle a firearm everyday in real life, and NOT muzzle something that shouldn’t be destroyed? You may say it, but it’s a lie.

so you sweep students when your training?

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I was watching this the other day. Guy from Japan who is some sort of airsoft king, and never fired a real gun, is put through his paces. How quickly he is able to adapt is sick. The other guys watching are giggling like little girls.

[video=youtube;qQDfwyUgtjg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQDfwyUgtjg[/video]

JollyMon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2012
    Westfield, IN
    Whose talking about sweeping...

we’re talking about 5-15 students in a classroom...

is it just the instructor or the students... doing the “dry fire” or “dry practice”... neither is safe in classroom. At a range yes. A classroom no.

remember the video of “this is a 40 cal”

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    Whose talking about sweeping...

weÂ’re talking about 5-15 students in a classroom...

is it just the instructor or the students... doing the “dry fire” or “dry practice”... neither is safe in classroom. At a range yes. A classroom no.

remember the video of Âthis is a 40 cal”

It is always good when one knows his limitations...
    Instructors or students.

Wouldn't it be nice to know half of what most of the youngsters today think they know today?

stupid is as stupid does....anywhere

speed of the captain..….

kids...don't try this at home

again...guns may not be prudent for the weak minded

one usually doesn't know what he doesn't know until he knows it

big difference between video games and guns

and finally

sweepers, finger perps, malcontents, unenlightened and those with learning disorders with guns need to get help elsewhere. I have no time, patience or desire to try to fix ignorant to those that do not want change. Instructors or students. I try to stay away from these peeps. They are dangerous to themselves and others.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom