• ...and so much more!
  • 88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Do you have to skin/peel them?

All the directions say to core (well, duh) and peel. But all the pictures show the apples curly-qued up with red edges. Clearly not peeled. I assume the pears would be the same.

What about peaches, plums, and the like?

For those that dry citrus: do you peel first? What do you use them for? Can you eat them as a snack or are they better used as ingredients in recipes?

JayPea

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Youngsville
    I'm subscribing to this thread because I'm curious also. I got a dehydrator for Xmas and looking to learn the craft. Drying fruits are on the agenda for sure!

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    68   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    We peel most of ours, but not all. Firmer, drier fruits like apples and pears can go either way. Some of the moister fruits like citrus you may find take forever to dry and might still get moldy. We usually can those.

THard6

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   1
    Apr 1, 2010
    Greenwood
    I thought all people even the fruits dried off with a towel! :D

i'd say things like oranges, bananas, need pealed. but fruits with harder skins can dry along with the fruit, from what I can see. :dunno:
    never done it, but will be interested in seeing what other have to say about it!

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 17, 2010
    Freedom , yes really Freedom
    we dehydrate a ton at my house ..... fruit/jerky etc

peaches/plums/apples/pears/etc ........ core but leave peel
    - love the extra "bite" of the peel
    banana ...... peel and dice into "chips" or slivers
    -might add sugar if you are used to commercial (i don't)
    mango......peel and core
    -great lightweight snack
    citrus - don't , never worked well for us like "spencer rifle" said canning

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    we dehydrate a ton at my house ..... fruit/jerky etc

peaches/plums/apples/pears/etc ........ core but leave peel
    - love the extra "bite" of the peel
    banana ...... peel and dice into "chips" or slivers
    -might add sugar if you are used to commercial (i don't)
    mango......peel and core
    -great lightweight snack
    citrus - don't , never worked well for us like "spencer rifle" said canning

This is consistent with what I've found to work well too.

To avoid fruit from browning while the dehydration process takes place, we dip them in a 1:5 solution of lemon juice to water

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2012
    Avon
    This is consistent with what I've found to work well too.

To avoid fruit from browning while the dehydration process takes place, we dip them in a 1:5 solution of lemon juice to water

The thinner you cut your fruit the faster they dry...just make sure they are good and dry...something like pineapples and mango will be chewy...apples and bananas will be harder.
    We make alot of fruit leathers...even made some squash leathers...

recon19d

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    Sierra Bravo November
    I picked up about 5 cans of Pineapple one day when they were on sale. It pulled them out, they had been cut into rings, So i stacked them a few high and cut them like a pizza and made a bunch of wedges. Threw them on my dehydrator. They totally flattened out and were like thin chips but tasted great. For sure plan on doing it again. Make sure you rotate the levels too so everything is equally dried!

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    The thinner you cut your fruit the faster they dry...just make sure they are good and dry...something like pineapples and mango will be chewy...apples and bananas will be harder.

I do apples thin for oatmeal. I like them a little thicker if I'm munching on them by themselves.

As far as leathers, we also do that with spaghetti sauce. I'll have to try the squash. That sounds good. I made sauce for beef stroganoff and then dehydrated that. I also dehydrated some of the egg noodles. Added in some dehydrated hamburger and it was easily my favorite backpacking meal.

Last edited:
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2012
    Avon
    I do apples thin for oatmeal. I like them a little thicker if I'm munching on them by themselves.

As far as leathers, we also do that with spaghetti sauce. I'll have to try the squash. That sounds good. I made sauce for beef stroganoff and then dehydrated that. I also dehydrated some of the egg noodles. Added in some dehydrated hamburger and it was easily my favorite backpacking meal.

MMM spaghetti sauce leather...do you reconstitute it or just but the stuff in it like a taco
    and eat it?

Molly Belle

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Southern Indiana
    I peel apples when I dehydrate them. I also like to sprinkle them with a little cinnamon. MMMM.... Yummy. You can't eat just one. Another easy thing to do with a dehydrator is to buy a bag of frozen, chopped veggies and just spread them on the trays. They are nice in soup. Of course, it's better when it is your own veggies, but for a wintertime project, it is fun. :)

Rikkrack

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Montgomery Co
    Agree with all that is said on canning citrus, and dehydrating others.

We have stocked up on frozen veggies when a really good sale and dehydrate straight out of the freezer.

Also fresh herbs from garden during growing season.

If doing onions dehydrate in garage or somewhere not in kitchen. and cut thicker as they shrink down to nothing and will stick to the trays.

You can also dehydrate shrimp and eggs.

We also dehydrate potatoes when a good sale. You will need to dip in lemon juice, citric acid, or can dissolve vitamin C tables in water or they turn brown.

Dehydrated zucchini and yellow squash with dill is good. Add salt AFTER you dehydrate or they never dry right and are never crisp.

Sweet potato chips are good too

irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head

I am going to try pineapple here soon. I actually like to eat apples and bananas as they are dehydrated instead of soaking them again.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    I like to slice strawberries, dip them in apple juice, and then shake in a baggie full of hot chocolate mix. Take them out of the baggie once they are covered and dry them on your dehydrator....GREAT addition to trail mix, snack bags, etc.

Top Bottom