• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AuntieBellum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    Rensselaer
    So it's time to upgrade to a DSLR. I like to take pictures, but I find my little point and clicks lacking in the quality output I need. So here are my questions...

1. Canon or Nikon? Why?

2. Specific lens recommendations? I don't want to buy something that's only ok when I could've bought a better lens for $100 or $200 more. I will be using this on the range to get both good up close pictures (think flying brass), as well as general group shots. Pretty sure I need to cover a range of 18-200mm. That can be two separate lenses if needed.

3. Total price needs to stay under $1000. Obviously this is not gonna get me awesome, but it gets me started. I can upgrade lenses later, but like I said earlier, I don't wanna get junk now either.

4. I'm looking at the Nikon D3200. It's a new model. It comes in red. :) Pros and cons?

Thanks for your help!

$mooth

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 27, 2010
    Texas
    This is as controversial as CC vs OC. My in-laws all have the Nikon (3200) and I have a Canon T2i. They're both fantastic. Try em out in stores, hold them, play with the interface and go with what is more comfortable for you.

I went with the Canon because it was comfortable and intuitive for me, and Amazon had a great package price for the body, a 18-55 lens and a 55-250 lens. If you pay attention to them, they'll usually have a good bundled price every few months.It was about $400 off for me.

ETA: If you can get multiple lenses bundled now, go for it. The lenses by themselves are incredibly expensive. The Canon and Nikon ones that come bundled are usually decent. They're not amazing, but for a casual photographer like me they're great. The real Pros just get the body, and buy lenses separately (of course, they're in an entirely different price range).

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    I have Canon 60d, my first DSLR was a Rebel XT, so I already had the extra lenses when it came time for upgrade.

I think Canon might have a bigger lens selection because it takes lenses originally designed for Canon 35mm SLRs

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    I have been using Nikons for over 40 years, both as a freelance photographer and for pleasure.

I have to say that the new D3200 looks like the best bang for the buck among the current crop of affordable DSLRS. I have been looking to get one to replace my old D70. Since my D70 has the standard zoom lens of 18-70mm, I will most likely get the D3200 with something that goes up to 300mm equivalent and keep the old D70 for close work.

Everything I have read about the D3200 says that it is a great camera. After checking one out and finding how easy it would be for me to go from my old Nikons to the new one, it is hard to look at something else.

That said, Canon makes great cameras, so what I would recommend is going to a camera store that you trust, and having them show you the two cameras side by side. Then you decide based on what fits your hand, and which seems easiest to use and figure out.

Good luck, I don't believe you could go wrong with either Nikon or Canon.

ZbornacSVT

Owner at Bobcat Armament
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 15, 2009
    Shelbyville
    We have a Canon 60D as well.
    I have been told that Canon has better lenses....but nothing specific to back it up.

You are better off spending your money on lenses as they can still be used as you upgrade your body. I would suggest picking up one of the kits normally sold with the 18-55 or so lens, unless you know exactly what you want (by the body and lens al la cart then). We started with the kit added a 70-300 lens shortly after as well. Next will probably be a 50mm. Most kits are probably going to start around $700 and go up depending on the body used.

Good luck!!

85t5mcss

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Zionsville-NW Indy
    When we did our research we had found out that Canon does not make their own lenses, but Nikon does. I didn't much care for the feel of the Canon lenses (mid quality just felt cheap compared to similar Nikon) but the camera body seemed on par with the Nikon. It took me a considerable amount of time to finally decide on what brand and model for what my uses would be. In the end I went Nikon. Most older lenses will work on the newer bodies as does Canon. Both have lots of lenses and different quality lenses. Robert's camera in Indy sells used ones in great condition if something like that strikes your interest. I'm thinking of buying a used one for a second camera.

So, which is better? Umm, that's like asking "Glock or XD?"

Some info I received:
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/break_room/228445-dslr_users.html

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    I have a Canon Rebel XTi and ran into the same problem years ago... which one and why. I don't think either route you go you will be disappointed. It came down to who had the best deal here locally that won me over.

AuntieBellum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    Rensselaer
    Sounds like I need to go play with some cameras tonight.

If I get the 55-200 lens, am I gonna kick myself and wish I had gotten the 55-300? (This is in addition to the 18-55)

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy

If I get the 55-200 lens, am I gonna kick myself and wish I had gotten the 55-300? (This is in addition to the 18-55)
    If it is a decent quality 300mm lens then yes...

Just like with guns, the better glass you buy, the better you will shot will be.:)

CitiusFortius

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    NWI
    If it is a decent quality 300mm lens then yes...

Just like with guns, the better glass you buy, the better you will shot will be.:)

Yup, don't skimp on the lens if at all possible. That's where you get that beautiful depth of field. Easy for me to say since it's not my money!!!!

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    Here's my Nikon Push

D90 or higher,

Reasons
    Nikon built in remote flash system
    Vibration reduction built into lens not Camera (supposed to be better, who knows)
    Battery life

Opinion

I think the nikon vibrant color settings ad a little more vibrancy to pictures

PGRChaplain

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Waynedale (FT Wayne)
    Before I bought my first SLR I asked the PhoTog for the local news paper. He said to go Canon. I did and have had 30+ trouble free years. I find a lot more used Cannon than Nikon acessories, and have got some killer deals on it. Just my $.02

nipprdog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    Tippecanoe county

No, you'll kick yourself because you spend some more and get the AF-S VR Zoom-Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G IF-ED. Yes, it costs more, but it is worth it. :D The sharpness of this lens is excellent for the price, and way better than the 55-300. ;)

As for the 18-55, it's not bad. But consider looking for a used 18-70 Dx lens. I bought a used for $170. That's what I use at Winimac. ;)

It's all about the glass. Bodies come and go, but good glass lasts. ;)

And I love good glass;

glass.jpg

:D

Last edited:

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    I've been to a ton of air shows and sporting events, when you start and look down the line of photographers you'll quickly notice that Canon has the dominant presence.

I just recently purchased the Canon T3i and it is a awesome camera. I'm still trying to learn it's full potential.

AuntieBellum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    Rensselaer
    OH, my. So hard to choose. The Nikon seems to make sense in my hand, but my entire family is a Canon family - dad and sister both have Canon DSLRs and love them. But I love the features on the Nikon D3200. Hubby is gonna go shopping with me tomorrow and take a look to help me out. I think I'll get just the basic 18-55mm now, and then I'll decide later how big I wanna go. I'll miss out on the package deals, but I might have a better idea of what I need. Thank you all for the input. VERY helpful. :rockwoot::ingo:

aclark

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    The 219
    Go to costco and get the Nikon package. Its exactly what you want to start out with. Best buy has one similar too, but you get a few extras with the costco one, plus the costco warranty.

ZbornacSVT

Owner at Bobcat Armament
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 15, 2009
    Shelbyville
    OH, my. So hard to choose. The Nikon seems to make sense in my hand, but my entire family is a Canon family - dad and sister both have Canon DSLRs and love them. But I love the features on the Nikon D3200. Hubby is gonna go shopping with me tomorrow and take a look to help me out. I think I'll get just the basic 18-55mm now, and then I'll decide later how big I wanna go. I'll miss out on the package deals, but I might have a better idea of what I need. Thank you all for the input. VERY helpful. :rockwoot::ingo:

If your family all rocks Canon....then that is your answer, if for no other reason than you can borrow lenses.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I have older models. I have the Canon Powershot S2 IS. My wife has the Nikon Coolpix. The Nikon is easier to use because of the viewer. Both cameras have enough magnification to take great outdoor shots. If I had to choose between the two, I'd have to pick the Nikon.

Top Bottom