• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gopher

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 13, 2013
    Zionsville, IN
    When I changed over to the DSLR I found that the bodies lived up to the old standards, but the lenses are junk. I have a D70 and D3200 as my current go to cameras, but the Nikon lenses that I got for them didn't last, with one zoom-Nikkor lasting just a couple of months before the tubes no longer stayed tight. I took the lens to Roberts when they had a Nikon rep there, and he said as long as it focused, the fact that it was like a slinky toy would not qualify for warrantee replacement. The standard lens that came with the D70 fell apart just over a year after purchase, and only the standard zoom that came with the D3200 still is tight. I bought a 70-300 Zoom-Nikkor and after about 2 years the insides locked up. So that makes 3 out of 4 of my Nikon lenses that turned to junk.

I can recommend the Nikon body, but go with a lens from someone else.

Nikon lenses are still FANTASTIC lenses with some exceptions. The exceptions are typically the "kit" and low-priced lenses that are mostly made of plastic and manufactured outside of Japan. The "professional" Nikon lenses are still mostly metal, made in Japan. Unfortunately, they are also more money (>$1,000). However, the lenses will last you through several bodies. Invest in top quality lenses and skimp on the body if you have to.

For honest camera gear reviews, I like to read Ken Rockwell's website.

Top Bottom