• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • coaltrain444

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2010
    Ok tried search no result. New guy question. Any reason with proper ltch i couldnt carry two firearms at once. Not saying i would but just trying to learn what i can. Thanks.

StandingReady

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2010
    There's no restriction on the number of weapons, as long as they all meet the criteria of the statute. There is no part of the statute that says you may or may not carry over a certain number of handguns if you have your LTCH.

snowman46919

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 27, 2010
    Marion
    If you do carry a back up I make the recommendation of it being of the same caliber and if possible same magazine, my pocket gun (keltec p11) had interchangability with smith and wesson full size double stacks. I am actually looking for another sig as a BUG, and because I am addicted.

zebov

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Lafayette, IN
    No question, legal to go.

I would like others' opinion on whether it would be harmful to you after a self-defense situation should you have to go to court to defend yourself. I know a lot of folks will say better to be judged than carried and that's fine, but I haven't convinced myself the advantages of a second gun outweigh simply having a backup magazine when you bring in the fact it will be used to destroy your character in a trial. Thoughts?

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    I would like others' opinion on whether it would be harmful to you after a self-defense situation should you have to go to court to defend yourself.

...the fact it will be used to destroy your character in a trial. Thoughts?

I don't know how it could be harmful in court or how it could in any way be used against one's character. :dunno:

buckstopshere

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    Greenwood
    Remember the old saying, 2 is 1, 1 is none. Plan for the worst, hope for the best. On any given Sunday...blah, blah, blah.

I don't often carry 2 but once I decide on LCP or the new S&W bodyguard I will do an ankle holster.

zebov

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Lafayette, IN
    I don't know how it could be harmful in court or how it could in any way be used against one's character. :dunno:

If a prosecutor decided to prosecute for whatever reason, they would use the fact that you are carrying a second firearm as motivation for a "This person is unstable/paranoid/etc." or "was too itchy to shoot someone" or "was looking to get into an all-out war." I could easily see a prosecutor using language to (obviously incorrectly) compare you to some of the mass killers who carried lots of weapons so they could kill as many as possible. "This person was looking to kill." Whatever the case, they would certainly use it in some way to try to convince the jury that you didn't make a good shoot.

I believe Ayoob discusses in one of his books about a trial in which the simple fact that someone had extra magazines was used to desecrate him. (note: The guy ended up getting off, but also had Ayoob flown in as an expert witness :yesway::yesway:)

This is really unfortunate because I think I would dual carry if it weren't for these concerns. I guess I'm the only one that thinks this though, eh? :dunno:

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    These concerns do not exist in Indiana. The shoot is good or bad - intent of the defender does not come into play for a defensive shooting.

IC 35-41-3-2
    Use of force to protect person or property
    Sec. 2. (a) A person is justified in using reasonable force against another person to protect the person or a third person from what the person reasonably believes to be the imminent use of unlawful force. However, a person:
    (1) is justified in using deadly force; and
    (2) does not have a duty to retreat;
    if the person reasonably believes that that force is necessary to prevent serious bodily injury to the person or a third person or the commission of a forcible felony. No person in this state shall be placed in legal jeopardy of any kind whatsoever for protecting the person or a third person by reasonable means necessary.

Mike Elzinga

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    NWI
    I know several people, myself included, who often carry backup gun(s). I often carry a full size Glock, then J Frame backup, and it isnt uncommon to find a riot shotgun in my truck. If they are going to bring up why I or anyone else has a 2nd, or 3rd gun nearby, they may also ask why I have my super tactical 550 braceletes, 2 knives, 2 flashlights, and on.........

At the end of the day, if you feel you need a 2nd gun, then the potential aftermath shouldnt be a concern. Would you rather be dead because your first gun jammed? Or explain a 2nd gun to the jury?

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I just cannot see any possible reason why anyone would consider carrying more than one gun.

wait for it . . .

wait for it . . .

Not!

JoshuaW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    South Bend, IN
    If I have my Sub2k in a bag, I am carrying three. I normally am a solo kind of guy, but there are places and situations I got for two or three. Blackfriday I did three. Sub2k in the bag, two pistols on my hip, two reloads for each gun in the bag. Perfectly legal.

Indiana doesnt say which handguns, how many, what kind of ammo, what method of carry, or the level of concealment. That is all up to you.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    Absolutely "O.K."
    When I'm going to the range alone to practice with my carry gun, I always have a back up gun on me.
    That way, when I shoot to slide lock on my last loaded mag, I'm still never unarmed.

zebov

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Lafayette, IN
    These concerns do not exist in Indiana. The shoot is good or bad - intent of the defender does not come into play for a defensive shooting.

Yeah, I'm aware of this. My only concern is going to trial when it is "unclear" to a prosecutor that a shoot was good. Just trying to express why I don't usually feel comfortable carrying a second sidearm in most everyday scenarios. Again, nothing illegal about it, just my own personal concerns.

You and I need to go shooting sometime, ATM. We seem to disagree a lot on here but I like disagreeing with you because you disagree intelligently. I think we could have some really good discussions in real life.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GlockFrenzy
    Top Bottom