Duck Hunting (newbie looking for advice)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    I've always wanted to go duck hunting and I finally have a chance to go on Monday morning when the temps drop. Like I said, I have never been so i'm looking for some quick advice before we go out.

I'm going with a friend that is pretty experienced but i'm still curious on what equipment I need.

From what I understand we will be setting up a spread and standing in the water with waders (i'm borrowing some waders from another friend that cannot go along). That's as much information I know about where/how we'll hunt them.

I plan to take my 870 Remington Supermag.
    What choke should I use?
    What steel shot should I use?

My friend has all the calls and is experienced in calling them so i'm looking to purchase a bunch of calls that I wont even be able to master in a day.

Any other helpful information would be appreciated from those who have been before!

Also from what I understand, the Indiana license(s) I need are:
    -Federal duck stamp (picked one up this morning)
    -HIP number
    -General hunting license

Last edited:

nkhrfh

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Feb 21, 2012
    Indiana migratory waterfowl stamp. It is online and not a real stamp like federal.
    Everything will get wet, gloves especially.
    For 12ga I like 3" #2 or #3. Make sure it is steel shot. Nothing tighter than mod choke. Without patterning I would start with mod choke.
    Spare clothes in vehicle in case you fall in!
    I started with a moderate priced call and practiced in the car.
    Hope that helps. I have only been duck hunting for 2 years so still a newbie.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Late season ducks over decoys, I would agree on the #2-3 steel shot and modified choke. Early season I usually use 3 or 4 with IC choke.
    Dress warm and in layers. You will likely sweat setting out decoys if there are many of them. Camo everything you can. I wear neoprene camo gloves. Keep your face down as they come in and just peak. Don't be moving around, including your gun barrel. I wouldn't try calling until you are proficient at home. They may be pretty call shy this late in the season anyway.
    In case some geese may be around, I would bring some BB shot and stick in a pocket.

FishnHunt

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 18, 2013
    Churubusco
    All good advice so far. X2 on the extra clothes, I went for a swim this year and it ain't fun at all! Layering is important, I almost never put my coat on till I'm done setting decoys. More layers with rubber waders, less if neoprene. If it's your first time wading, i'd recommend going slow and finding a stick/branch to use as a wading staff. The extra stability makes a huge difference. If your buddy calls, don't even worry bout that yet, let him do the work (that's what my friends say :): ). If he's calling usually he says when to shoot, but make sure you and him are on the same page about when/where to shoot. Keep your head down if ducks are coming in and don't move, but if it's slow always be on the lookout for em. I can't tell you how many flocks surprised me and my buddies this year after really long lulls.

Most of all - Good luck and hope you whack em!

seawolfxix

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2009
    Kansas City
    To reiterate posts above,
    Chokes: IC, LM, or Mod.
    Shot: 3" Steel #2 in late season (Keep a few BB shells in your pocket in case you see geese).
    Additional Gear: Face mask and/or paint; Brimmed hat (if chance of rain); Extra gloves; Head lamp (for setting up before dawn); WD-40 (in case you drop your gun in the water).

Personal preference, but I like the shot caller to say "cut 'em." Easy to hear.

Cynical

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 21, 2013
    peru
    All advice is great. I can testify to the extra clothes packed in a waterproof bag that hopefully will fit you or your buddy. I fell in over my waders once without an extra set of clothes and vowed I would never be without again. Don't forget to plug your gun and if you are going with a seasoned waterfowler, listen not only to him but how the birds react to his calls. Depending on how much room you have I would suggest a stove, pan, eggs and bacon. Its sounds dumb but I remember one hunt on silver lake and you could smell that bacon for miles it seemed. There were heads sticking out of blinds all around the lake. If you don't see any birds you will eat well. Good luck!

illini40

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2010
    I agree with all of the great advice above. I, too, am a newbie waterfowler and am fortunate enough to hunt with expierenced guys.

Some thoughts that come to mind:

This time of the year, I would be shooting 3" number 2s. I would also have some 3" BBs with you in case some honkers give you a look. I shoot with a modified choke in my 1187.

Do you have a shell belt or some way of holding/carrying plenty of shells? My favorite is to load up the cheap neoprene shell belts (usually $10 or so) and haul in my bag or strapped on me.

If you are standing in water and not hunting from a boat or blind, I would suggest a sling for your gun.

Keep your head down and stay still if you have birds working. They will bolt as soon as something strikes their eyes and they think something does not look right.

Don't worry about calling. Let your buddy handle that. Plus, this late in the season, ducks have been called at a ton and a little calling goes a long ways.

Definitely dress in layers as it is easy to get warm setting up and getting into your spot. Then, you will cool off waiting for day break. So, dress in layers and pack extra gloves, extra hat, etc. Wear good wool socks! Cold feet suck.

Toss in some Hot Hands with your gear. Cheap, light weight, and can warm up your hands nicely. You can also keep some in the pocket of your waders as a way to help stay warm.

A head lamp is very handy.

I am a fan of face paint, but a mask of some sort works well too. Also, burning the end of a wine cork is an easy alternative too.

Discuss with your buddy who is calling the shots and when they will be called so there is no confusion on when birds should be shot at. I always let the other guys call the shots since I'm usually the newbie. Typically, in my group, the guy who is calling/working the group calls the shot.

Toss in some snacks and breakfast. Besides beautiful sunrises and being outdoors, the food is one if the best highlights of waterfowling.

Bottom line - have fun! Take lots of shells and hope that birds are moving. It is highly likely that you will become addicted...

Let us know how it goes.

nkhrfh

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Feb 21, 2012
    As far as calling, first learn the quack. I then added quacks to my buddy, experienced duck hunter, other calling.
    i also learned the cluck for goose hunting. Buy a CD and practice in your car going to work.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    I'm all packed up and ready to go. I couldn't find any 3" shells at rural king today so I went with Remington Sportsman Hi-Speed Steel 12 Ga. 3.5" #2's. Even if I can get 1 duck i'll call it a success, but either way, my first experience will always be remembered. I'll keep you guys posted. Thanks for all the info!

illini40

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2010
    Good luck today! Keep us posted on how it goes.

Hopefully we can continue this thread discussing the massive undertaking you will want to take on as you will become addicted...

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    worst text I could have woken up to at 4:30 in the morning... "sorry guys but I woke up all night puking and believe I caught the flu". We had to cancel this morning. I'm hoping to get out there this week once he's all better. I feel like a kid on Christmas that can see his presents but isn't allowed to open any... I'm going to spend my day hunting rabbits, then yotes, instead.

illini40

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2010
    worst text I could have woken up to at 4:30 in the morning... "sorry guys but I woke up all night puking and believe I caught the flu". We had to cancel this morning. I'm hoping to get out there this week once he's all better. I feel like a kid on Christmas that can see his presents but isn't allowed to open any... I'm going to spend my day hunting rabbits, then yotes, instead.

Bummer! At least you can still spend the day out hunting something.

Top Bottom