• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GlockPaperScissors

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 8, 2012
    South Bend, IN
    After years of doing computer service work I got lazy and bought a machine rather than build due to lack of time. So I got an Alienware (AKA High end Dell). Worst decision of my life. Luckily the motherboard fried before the one year warranty was over. After replacing the board and cpu twice the computer was functional again. Now several months later I just got done ripping this POS apart again. The power switch is fubar. :xmad:
    I know these wear out over time, but I only use it once or twice a month. I always put the computer in sleep mode and "wake" it with a keyboard press. So until I rifle through the garage and find a switch I have to hot wire my computer to start and shut down!
    Dell still sucks.

Yeah that's definitely understandable. I've never had the money to build a desktop, but I want to eventually. I've always heard bad things about buying retail machines although hearing about an Alienware failing this bad is a bit of a shock. I've been under the impression that was a great machine..... This changes my perception of them quite a bit.

If you haven't heard of it I'd be surprised, but you might wanna check out newegg.com. They've got a ton of amazing deals on there.

Mike.B

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2012
    Grant County
    Also, OP...I had a power switch go bad and just swapped the reset and power buttons on the motherboard.

I have the Aurora model, no reset switch. Newegg is where I buy 80% of my parts at now. Sad thing is they are as cheap if not cheaper than my old distributors.
    I have a few more firearms to buy then I will build a new machine. :ar15:

Bonehead

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 18, 2008
    Vincennes
    I feel you on the junk retail computers, after having 2 box computers I said screw it and built my own this time ;)

P1010136.jpg

Sorry for the crappy picture:rolleyes: ...... Newegg was really happy with me when I made this order LOL

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I've loved my last 2 Aliens. Pretty rock-solid boxes. Current one is pre-Dell, and still going strong. Might even drop Windows 8 on it this week, just to feel like I'm current!

Dell has certainly slid downhill in the last few years, especially on the general consumer stuff. We ran their Optiplex series at the University for years, and I'm working on my Latitude laptop right now. They are still better built than the cheap stuff, but slightly less cutting edge.

I'm looking at tablets now (waiting on the Surface Pro, or maybe a Toshiba), and my wife is wanting to get a Mac again. I just want a computer that works without me spending a few hours a month on maintenance (and a lot of cussing).

phrozen5100

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 1, 2009
    IN
    Did somebody say...Alienware?

IMAG0674.jpg

I just have the M18x now, and it's a beast...but the M14x is really a fantastic little thing.

Top Bottom