"Due to the government shutdown, we are unable to answer inquiries at this time"

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JoshuaW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    South Bend, IN
    "Due to the government shutdown, we are unable to answer inquiries at this time"

This is the response I get when calling to check on the status of a transfer. The person that answered identified herself as "Marry", sounded very similar to someone who has answered when I called in previously, and doesnt seem to be an examiner. Never mind the fact that she answered on the first ring, so she clearly isnt busy.

Im frustrated that this is the default answer for things that could otherwise be done. There is no reason for websites to be down, for them to be answering calls, but not performing queries, etc.

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    They can answer the phone, but not hit a few keystrokes into a computer?

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight.

Kinda like putting barricades up along PUBLIC ROADS so people can't pull off and enjoy PUBLIC lands or open-air monuments.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    They also can't have people at the gates of federal monuments/parks/etc. to let you in, BUT they can have people patrolling/keeping you out.

Perfectly logical, eh? Logic, and capacity have nothing to do with it. It's all about being vindictive.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Just part of the game. They're assuming if they hit enough buttons, folks will contact their congress critter and demand they do what it takes to end this "shut down".

JoshuaW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    South Bend, IN
    Im writing some letters to the tune of:

Hold firm with your possition, dont back down. Start asking questions about why "essential" employees are doing "non essiantial" tasks like answering phones and blocking streets.

This is absurd. Im thrilled the NFA is still working, at least in a limited capacity, but dont waste people answering phones unless they are actually going to do their job. Put an automated message on there saying "We are sorry, due to the shutdown we can not answer requests regarding application status".

Ultimately it doesnt matter, we are going to end up paying backpay for the people not working. If someone is working, actually let them do their job!

Sling10mm

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2012
    Yeah, read a story today that said during this shut down 500,000 federal employees are furloughed... 15% of the total gov't workforce, but to hear some describe it, it is total economic Armageddon.

To the OP, sorry you couldn't get your info; the wait is bad enough, and like someone else said, they should just have a recording stating that they cannot handle inquiries, or go ahead and let the lady answer the question. I have heard stories that it is a relatively low-tech operation.

The stupidity and inefficiency of our government, let alone concerns over personal liberty, are why it should be limited. What a monstrosity.

SaintsNSinners

Shooter
    Rating - 94.1%
    16   1   0
    Mar 3, 2012
    At Work in Indy
    No wait a minute.... If .gov is shut down and affecting lawful gun ownership and transfers.... In theory since our constitution states the right to keep and bear shall not be infringed wouldnt that mean no NFA?

So in theory now is the time to buy NFA items tax free?

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    No wait a minute.... If .gov is shut down and affecting lawful gun ownership and transfers.... In theory since our constitution states the right to keep and bear shall not be infringed wouldnt that mean no NFA?

So in theory now is the time to buy NFA items tax free?

Yes! Yes it is. If I were you, I'd be buying everything I could get my hands on under cover of this theory.

:cool:

:popcorn:

Bluedragon

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Muncie
    My understanding the NFA branch is still processing paperwork that was already submitted before the shut down. I just received my paperwork back today 10/09/13. My forms show it was approved on Sept 25. I had purchased my suppressor on 01/14/29, so my wait was just 5 days shy of 9 months and 2 days from being 7 months from when my forms went on the first pending date.

JoshuaW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    South Bend, IN
    My understanding the NFA branch is still processing paperwork that was already submitted before the shut down. I just received my paperwork back today 10/09/13. My forms show it was approved on Sept 25. I had purchased my suppressor on 01/14/29, so my wait was just 5 days shy of 9 months and 2 days from being 7 months from when my forms went on the first pending date.

I called in a couple days ago, and asked whether the examiners were working. She (different lady than the other day, go figure) said that they are not currently processing applications and that no new paperwork would be approved.

Your form was approved pre-shutdown, so it may be that they are still mailing out already approved paperwork, or it was mailed before the shutdown and your dealer didnt receive it/didnt notify you until yesterday.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Looks like the crab fishing fleets in Alaska are going to be furloughed, too. They feds aren't issuing the necessary licenses for the season so the crab fleet is sitting still and not fishing.

10ring

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Classified
    I just called the ATF about my Form 4 that was mailed last December - and went "second pending" September 3rd - and was told "our current time frames are under review by the branch chief" whatever that means, and she could not tell me when I might get my stamp. Last time I called I was told 90 days AFTER the "second pending" date, now they can't even tell me that.

This is ridiculous.

Last edited:

JoshuaW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    South Bend, IN
    Second pending in September after mailing in December? That is rough! I mailed mine February 14, with second pending August 1. When I called on Friday, she gave me the regular "90 Day" line. 90 Days would be 10/30/13, but with the shutdown, Im skeptical.

Top Bottom