DUI Checkpoint advice.........Possibility for general police stops in Indiana?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    [h=2]Possibility for general police stops in Indiana?[/h]

Silly marketing gimmick.

Could you just as easily attach you Diver's license, Insurance, registration, etc. and NOT roll down your window?

Got to ask, why? Was this in Boston T. Party book or something?

If you don't roll down your window, don't ya think the cops will just have you step out of your little turtle shell?:D

[h=2]DUI Checkpoint advice[/h]

Advice? Ok, it's even free:

1. Don't drink and drive. Call a cab. Cabs are a lot less money than lawyers.

2. Don't pull through roadblocks. By Indiana Supreme Court decision roadblocks must have a turn around. So, turnaround and don't play cop games.

3. If they tell you to stop, stop.

4. Don't talk. Don't say anything. Shut your baconhole. Don't play 20 questions or any cop game. All their games involve you talking, don't.

5. You have to get out of the car if they tell you to. These bs, cutesy-pie marketing tricks are feckless (for you).

Learn the traffic code, obey the traffic code (remember, it's not about you, we all chipped in), keep your vehicle clean inside and outside, don't dress like the criminal class, stop when the cops tell you to, and, above all, be quiet.

Dosproduction

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Porter County
    Im not saying its illegal im saying that if I was a cop and saw someone turn around I would pull them over. And I can take a educated guess and say that is what happens almost all the time.

cook4army

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 30, 2013
    Greenfield, IN
    Ok, so saying that keeping quiet is a key thing, how do I get on with my life, without opening my bacon hole, and keeping myself out of the pokey? Is there a recommended way to accomplish the be quiet, and go home theory without playing said cop games?

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Uh, I'm guessing you hand them things like license and registration when asked and don't say anything or answer any questions.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Im not saying its illegal im saying that if I was a cop and saw someone turn around I would pull them over. And I can take a educated guess and say that is what happens almost all the time.

You can't be pulled over for just avoiding a checkpoint. However you can if you fail to signal when you do. There are chase cars around the checkpoint looking for such things.

I can't find it, but I think it was a court decision that said avoiding a checkpoint is not grounds for PC.
    But, like Denny said, you can get pulled over for other stuff... speeding, taillights, failure to signal, etc.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Uh, I'm guessing you hand them things like license and registration when asked and don't say anything or answer any questions.

Been through exactly 1 check point in my life. We saw all the flashing lights ahead, and my wife and I both being very naïve to this sort of thing, slowed down and approached the lights, thinking maybe there was a bad wreck ahead and perhaps the traffic was being routed through a detour. That was sort of true...there was a detour and we got selected to go through it.

As luck would have it, it was 1 am and we were returning from a wedding reception in KY, so had been on the road a few hours. Sober as can be, but road weary from the drive. I now realize it is a sobriety check, not the scene of a UFO crash, so after pulling to a stop with my 3/4 truck in a marked off area with 87 orange cones that was too small for a Prius, I retrieve my license and registration, with my Larry also ready to present if asked since I did have a gun in the truck. I have a shirt and tie on, and wife has a dress on. What seemed like a small nuclear explosion then flashed in my window, and I, being temporarily blinded, fumbled around a bit as I tried to find the power window button. Still blinded, a friendly female officer asks what I'm doing on the road at this hour, while officer #2 detonates a second nuclear device outside of the passenger window. I calmly reply that my wife and I are returning home.

Friendly officer #1 responds "Ok, be safe, you are free to go." I carefully navigate the orange cone maze, which would be tough to do if I was on a power wheels vehicle, and make my way back out to the main road and head home.

Moral of the story matches Kirk's advice. If you do find your way into a road block, don't freak out, and just do what you are told. Your vision will eventually improve enough to drive safely. :)

AA&E

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 4, 2014
    Southern Indiana
    a friendly female officer asks what I'm doing on the road at this hour

This is the part that pisses me off. You are an adult doing nothing wrong. That is all they need to know. What you are doing out at 'this hour' is none of their damn business. Perhaps the better question is "why are they out here harassing citizens at this hour?"

TheSpark

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2013
    You break a traffic law pretty much every single mile you drive. An officer would only have to follow you for a short while if you turned around to have cause to stop you.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    You break a traffic law pretty much every single mile you drive. An officer would only have to follow you for a short while if you turned around to have cause to stop you.
    Not true...I've followed cars that made zero traffic violations. Now there are drivers that do violate the traffic law every mile...they are called BAD DRIVERS. I see it every day. It is quite possible to drive without violating traffic laws.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Silly marketing gimmick.

Got to ask, why? Was this in Boston T. Party book or something?

If you don't roll down your window, don't ya think the cops will just have you step out of your little turtle shell?:D

Advice? Ok, it's even free:

1. Don't drink and drive. Call a cab. Cabs are a lot less money than lawyers.

2. Don't pull through roadblocks. By Indiana Supreme Court decision roadblocks must have a turn around. So, turnaround and don't play cop games.

3. If they tell you to stop, stop.

4. Don't talk. Don't say anything. Shut your baconhole. Don't play 20 questions or any cop game. All their games involve you talking, don't.

5. You have to get out of the car if they tell you to. These bs, cutesy-pie marketing tricks are feckless (for you).

Learn the traffic code, obey the traffic code (remember, it's not about you, we all chipped in), keep your vehicle clean inside and outside, don't dress like the criminal class, stop when the cops tell you to, and, above all, be quiet.

#1 for sure.

Top Bottom