• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    Do they smell of booze? Are they able to pull their driver's license out of their wallet without getting distracted? Is their speech slow/slurred? Do they admit to drinking before driving? Will they register a BAC on a PBT? Are they driving like they are drunk? SFST's are great to have but these other factors will tell me if they are truly drunk or not. I've even called medics to a scene to rule out blood sugar.
    Yeah, I know there's more to it. Just that some people were giving the nystagmus test so much weight.
    my daughter couldn't pass that portion or the balance tests, and she never drives after drinking.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Yeah, I know there's more to it. Just that some people were giving the nystagmus test so much weight.
    my daughter couldn't pass that portion or the balance tests, and she never drives after drinking.
    Nystagmus alone is 70%ish, 9 step walk and turn is 71%ish, and the 1 leg stand is like 73%ish. All 3 together you have a 78% change that the person you are dealing with is intoxicated. Notice there is no 100% in there. I've done only HGN but there has to be a reason for me to even administer the SFST's.

lrahm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2011
    Newburgh
    Do they smell of booze? Are they able to pull their driver's license out of their wallet without getting distracted? Is their speech slow/slurred? Do they admit to drinking before driving? Will they register a BAC on a PBT? Are they driving like they are drunk? SFST's are great to have but these other factors will tell me if they are truly drunk or not. I've even called medics to a scene to rule out blood sugar.

That's just it. once the person is out of the car, you also are able to see the actions of that person (balance and smell). Also part of the SFST is if they can follow instructions. You explain that they have to follow your instructions. You tell them to stand with their hands to their side and place a foot in front of them while you explain the test. They stop and go back to a comfortable standing position. That is a point counting against them for that particular test.

Top Bottom