• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ELMO

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    Kokomo, Indiana
    This isn't my first time dealing with neighbors using my woods or property as a back stop. A few years ago I had to belly crawl about 50 yards when I was walking through my woods one day, because a teenage neighbor kid was blasting away with a .22 semi-auto rifle. I called that neighbor on the phone and got a hold the Dad and he said there was a back stop being used, then I asked how come small limbs and leaves were falling down on my property while the shooting was going on. I told him after he got done laughing about it, that I'd call the law if any bullets they shoot come over to my place. Well that kind of stopped that, except now the neighbor likes to throw trash over the fence..:rolleyes: . Yesterday was so nice and another neighbor was out shooting and they shot for something like 8 hours. Me and the wife only have this 10 acre woods that 8 neighbors border it, and walk trails on it almost everyday. So about 6pm we started to walk and I went and put on a hunter orange hat so I could be seen and as we got closer to the shooting we stopped and the wife was yelling hey, hey, real loud, but the shooting continued. So I went stomping right towards the people shooting, making loud noises that they could hear and I got their attention, and asked if they had a back stop and this old guy and a 30ish fella doing the shooting said they had a back stop. It was right against the fence and it was a bale of straw. I told them as long as the bullets they shoot stay on their property I have no problem with it. The old guy responded by saying "you made your point go back to your house"... he said this twice to me and I told him I didn't like having to wear hunter orange to walk my own property and that I don't like all my trees that I have, being shot up. No foul words were said, and I went back to the wife and we finished our walk... The only thing is, the guy had an attitude and now I feel like I did something wrong. They didn't shoot anymore that evening... Maybe I should have said that I'm going to do some shooting behind their place and on my property and put a bale up and start firing away:ar15:... I wouldn't do that .... Just had to vent a little

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    This isn't my first time dealing with neighbors using my woods or property as a back stop. A few years ago I had to belly crawl about 50 yards when I was walking through my woods one day, because a teenage neighbor kid was blasting away with a .22 semi-auto rifle. I called that neighbor on the phone and got a hold the Dad and he said there was a back stop being used, then I asked how come small limbs and leaves were falling down on my property while the shooting was going on. I told him after he got done laughing about it, that I'd call the law if any bullets they shoot come over to my place. Well that kind of stopped that, except now the neighbor likes to throw trash over the fence..:rolleyes: . Yesterday was so nice and another neighbor was out shooting and they shot for something like 8 hours. Me and the wife only have this 10 acre woods that 8 neighbors border it, and walk trails on it almost everyday. So about 6pm we started to walk and I went and put on a hunter orange hat so I could be seen and as we got closer to the shooting we stopped and the wife was yelling hey, hey, real loud, but the shooting continued. So I went stomping right towards the people shooting, making loud noises that they could hear and I got their attention, and asked if they had a back stop and this old guy and a 30ish fella doing the shooting said they had a back stop. It was right against the fence and it was a bale of straw. I told them as long as the bullets they shoot stay on their property I have no problem with it. The old guy responded by saying "you made your point go back to your house"... he said this twice to me and I told him I didn't like having to wear hunter orange to walk my own property and that I don't like all my trees that I have, being shot up. No foul words were said, and I went back to the wife and we finished our walk... The only thing is, the guy had an attitude and now I feel like I did something wrong. They didn't shoot anymore that evening... Maybe I should have said that I'm going to do some shooting behind their place and on my property and put a bale up and start firing away:ar15:... I wouldn't do that .... Just had to vent a little

You have three options (1) CALL the POLICE (2) Don't leave your house (3) SHOOT BACK I like option 3:D

spec4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    NWI
    One possible solution, is there a place in your woods where you could set up a range? If so, you could have your neighbors help build it with the understanding that they could use it. Just a thought.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Elmo,

These are not "dumb" neighbors. These are rude, obnoxious, disrespectful, reckless, irresponsible, jackass neighbors!:xmad:

Good luck in training them to be respectful.

Regards,

Doug

grimor

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2010
    Elkhart
    Don't you know all woods are public property, if you didn't want people using them you would of cut them all down and built a house there....

ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    I believe the law would be on your side if you had evidence for the officers to gather. Bullet holes in trees might be enought to at least get an investigation started and scare them enough to be more careful about where they shoot. Potentially the destruction of property ie your trees" could also be a civil suit and damages reclaimed. Not sure what the burden of evidence would be. Might be worth a free consultation with a lawyer.

One possible solution, is there a place in your woods where you could set up a range? If so, you could have your neighbors help build it with the understanding that they could use it. Just a thought.

This sounds like appeasement. Appeasement only leads to further disrespect and makes you seem weak to the bullies. For example, you could spend millions renovating mosques, but the terrorists attending those mosques would still hate you.

Hope this helps. Would seriously avoid option 3 above. --Yes I know it is a joke :)

Last edited:

Claddagh

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2008
    Just wondering what kind of a clueless moron considers a bale of straw to be an adequate backstop for bullets?

Also wondering whether the suggestions about "shooting back" were just feeble attempts at humor, or what?

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    I believe the law would be on your side if you had evidence for the officers to gather. Bullet holes in trees might be enought to at least get an investigation started and scare them enough to be more careful about where they shoot. Potentially the destruction of property ie your trees" could also be a civil suit and damages reclaimed. Not sure what the burden of evidence would be. Might be worth a free consultation with a lawyer.

Damage to trees can be worth triple damages depending on how much damage there is and what the tree is valued as (timber, ornamental, agricultural, etc).

And to the OP: by all means, if there is bullet damage to your property and the neighbors aren't taking it seriously, call the sheriff, those people are putting you in danger and it's no small matter. If the sheriff won't take it seriously, talk to the DA and see about filing it yourself. These people need to understand that their actions have consequences BEFORE we're reading about you being hurt in the paper and it giving yet more fuel to the anti-gun crowd.

Last edited:

Westside

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Monitor World
    My suggestion and the is not true legal advice.

Would be the next time they are shooting and using your property as the backstop photograph what they are doing. then confront them and record the conversation. Then if it happens again don't even talk to them just call the police and say you were being shot at while you were walking through your woods. then when they arrive give them the photos and the recording and let them confront them about it.

Hkindiana

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 19, 2010
    Southern Hills
    Invite one or two friends over who have legal full autos. Let them do some shooting on your property, and the neighbors might think twice about shooting their .22's in your direction.

BlueEagle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    Something seriously needs to be done; don't just let them keep going.

They've done this multiple times already; and it only takes one bullet for this annoying and dangerous recklessness to become a tragedy.

Don't wait on that one bullet.

treeman22

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Nov 10, 2010
    Indy North
    If they are going to be jerks about it, then take legal action. If bullets were hitting trees in my woods, I would be furious. Sawmills won't buy logs with metal in them. Next time they are shooting, call the sherriff, and show him as many bullet holes in the trees as you can find. If you find alot of bullet holes, I would also consider consulting a lawyer if you plan on harvesting timber from those woods.

History has proven many times that it only takes 1 ricochet to kill someone. This is a very serious matter, and you need to teach them that.

Suprtek

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    Wanamaker
    Any time I have ever heard about law enforcement investigating target shooting, a proper backstop was always one of the first things they look for. This alone has been enough reason to prohibit shooting on more than one occasion. If they can't be reasoned with, they must be dealt with. :twocents:

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    One of the very best lessons I was ever taught growing up was how I was responsible for EVERYTHING a round I've fired off does. It is one of the things I am teaching my children now. When a lesson like that sinks in, shooting into someone else's property, towards their home, etc becomes obvious as a thing not to do- despite the mighty "Backtop Bail."

If it was me, I would do one of two things. 1) Install a berm on the property where the lines meet if it continues. Or 2) If that's not feasible, call Law Enforcement the next time rounds start cracking off.

hickuleas

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Oct 5, 2009
    deep in the woods
    I can understand your frustration. I have several rural properties and it is always something. Legally i would do as others have suggested and call the law. Try to approach the problem through the law if that doesn't help an attorney could help. Some people think if they move to the country they can do anything. Good Luck

Top Bottom