• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Burnsy

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2012
    NW Indiana
    So I was OC my Glock 21 a few days ago and was loading things into my truck when it started raining, I didn't really think about it at the time as I am starting to get used to carrying and didn't really think about gun + wet = ?.

Now I know the pistol getting wet is not really a big deal, not going to stop it from functioning or anything but, should I do anything with it? IE should I clean it and lubricate as a result of it being exposed to some rain?

Userdenied

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 29, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I'm not an expert by any means, but I don't see any reason cleaning it after exposure to rain or excessive moisture would be a problem. Everything I've been told is that you can't really clean your pistol too often.

pute62

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Lawrence
    Don't think a little bit of rain would be any worse than the high humidity we've been having. I do always like to coat my guns with oil though.

Userdenied

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 29, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Don't think a little bit of rain would be any worse than the high humidity we've been having. I do always like to coat my guns with oil though.

On this note I have a questions. How much oil do you use? When I go to lube my SR9c back up I probably end up using 8-10 drops of oil all together. Is this too much, not enough? I make sure to hit the slide, ramp, recoil spring, outside of the barrel very lightly, and all other contact points. I've just read so much about over oiling and I've never seen much of an answer as to how much is just right.

I get the feeling that since I'm cleaning my firearm after each outing it isn't going to matter if I over oil a little since dirt isn't getting a chance to build up correct?

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    So I was OC my Glock 21 a few days ago and was loading things into my truck when it started raining, I didn't really think about it at the time as I am starting to get used to carrying and didn't really think about gun + wet = ?.

Now I know the pistol getting wet is not really a big deal, not going to stop it from functioning or anything but, should I do anything with it? IE should I clean it and lubricate as a result of it being exposed to some rain?

Did the gun get soaked? Field strip it and wipe it down with a bit of oil if it makes you feel better. Always good to take care of that which takes care of you... Glocks can handle some pretty severe abuse, but there's no reason to purposely not take care of a gun.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    I've snorkeled with my Glock 17L for years, both Fresh and Salt water. Rinse and dry and it's good to go. She looks just as ****ing ugly now as when I bought her new and just as dependable.
    Which is more than I can say for my X-wife. :)

DadOfFour

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I clean my carry guns weekly, not full on break down to the smallest piece cleaning, but just a field strip clean. It's probably overkill, but you'd be surprised the amount of lint and dirt that gets into a gun when you carry it around with you.

85t5mcss

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Zionsville-NW Indy
    You're fine.
    This. No real reason to do anything. But, if it makes you feel more comfortable then field strip it for your own piece of mind.

BTW, I probably use half as much oil as you do after a cleaning and field strip. Plastic frame, slide and stainless parts in the frame are fine with moisture. If it racks easy and feels good, then it will be fine.

Flyguy

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2011
    Rural Franklin
    When I was in LEO training I had an instructor from the State Police that got permission to carry his Glock for an a long time without cleaning. He shot it at the range and carried it daily with no cleaning. The goal was to see just how reliable they were. He never had a problem with it. That's why I still carry a Glock today.

Go ahead and trash them all you want. I still carry my G27 and don't worry about it. (Although I do clean it once in a while :))

By the way... this was many years ago. I doubt they would allow this now.

Top Bottom