indiana
    My childhood was basically the 70's and 80's

War games with guns made from sticks
    Stealth games at night
    Survival camping
    Stuff that involved cannon fuse and black powder
    Improvised munitions (still have scars)
    BB gun wars
    Paint gun wars (before it got popular. Used the old Splatmasters and Nelspots)
    Using topo maps to go explore places deep in the woods we hadn't been before

We had a little group of guys we called The Woodland Elite. hehe. I devised training routines that instilled confidence, stealth, camouflage and all that fun stuff. We would go on combat runs through the woods for fitness and agility in rough terrain. Lot's of climbing. I would lay in a boat in the middle of my friends smallish lake while each guy would attempt to touch the boat without me hearing their splash or breathing. If I did, I'd raise my hand and they'd have to go back and try again. Lot's of weird stuff like that.

My favorite wargame munition was the trip mine. Two shotgun shells put together with a small dab of black powder inside along with one of those pull string firecrackers. The strings came out each primer hole with one side attached to a small tree and held in place with the used primer. The other string was attached to trip wire that went across a path. Had to stop using them because guys were getting hurt. They'd be running down the path, hit the trip wire and the empty shotgun shell would travel along the trip wire after the explosion and hit them on their ankles dropping them in pain. I wanted to instill a little more fear in the guys to stop them from running around like idiots and to use more stealth and observation of their surroundings. Things like this worked great.

Sgtusmc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    indiana
    Use to be able to buy Calcium Carbide (used for miners lamps) from the hardware store. Milk jug bombs were awesome. Use to be able to buy oxygen pellets from the store too for torchs. That with sugar makes some pretty powerful stuff. At one point in my teen years the sheriff was called by a neighbor complaining that it sounded like WW3 around there.

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    JARTS FTW, I remember that game. I wish I had kept the set my parents had until they moved. I'll bet that game is a good collectors item like my original set of Clackers.

How about the lighter fluid canon made from soda cans (the old ones that you could use a can opener on both ends) and duct taped together.

Hydrogen ballons (or wayyyyy more dangerous - oxy/acetaline ballons).

Wow, googled for vintage JARTS and they all ask for $100-200 bucks. I think they were $12.95 at Ayr-Way back in the day.

Mark-DuCo

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Ferdinand
    Use to be able to buy Calcium Carbide (used for miners lamps) from the hardware store. Milk jug bombs were awesome. Use to be able to buy oxygen pellets from the store too for torchs. That with sugar makes some pretty powerful stuff. At one point in my teen years the sheriff was called by a neighbor complaining that it sounded like WW3 around there.

We still get calcium carbide at the local hardware store and have some fun.

I still want to try this one of these days...
    [video=youtube;7gCHS5zGVQw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gCHS5zGVQw[/video]

wtfd661

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    North East Indiana
    Pop can/tennis ball cannons. Had a great time shooting them until we decided to start lighting the tennis ball on fire as we shot them out, now this was in a neighborhood with lots of houses and garages. Great fun until we bounced off the top of a neighbor's corvette, he was just a tad bit mad, luckily didn't start his vette on fire.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Still have a set of Jarts I cobbled together cheap from garage sale finds. That's what I taught my son with :cool: Perhaps of interest, the reaction of calcium carbide with water generates acetylene, so that's what you were playing with :)

hoosierdaddy1976

I Can't Believe it's not Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 17, 2011
    newton county
    JARTS FTW, I remember that game. I wish I had kept the set my parents had until they moved. I'll bet that game is a good collectors item like my original set of Clackers.

How about the lighter fluid canon made from soda cans (the old ones that you could use a can opener on both ends) and duct taped together.

Hydrogen ballons (or wayyyyy more dangerous - oxy/acetaline ballons).

Wow, googled for vintage JARTS and they all ask for $100-200 bucks. I think they were $12.95 at Ayr-Way back in the day.
    the summer after i graduated high school, i worked at a place that used cnc torch beds to cut parts out of plate steel. there was a burn pit in back. one day we put a can of spray paint in a garbage bag to weigh it down (and for some extra color in the fire) then filled the bag with gas. even though we were out in the middle of nowhere, i'm surprised the authorities didn't show up.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    BB and pellet gun wars at the gravel pit. Fun days. and no one lost an eye.

No gravel pit for us but it was almost daily BB gun wars. Nobody lost an eye but there is a whiskey tango out there with a BB in his forehead and one in his ear. We also convinced him to make a small gas bomb (he used kerosene and spilled some on himself). Burnt his shirt (his older brother's Dukes of Hazard shirt, a family favorite) and put some holes in his dad's burn barrel when it went boom. He lost his eyebrows and got beat pretty good. That kid was a moron but those days were a good time.

Manatee

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Indiana
    No gravel pit for us but it was almost daily BB gun wars. Nobody lost an eye but there is a whiskey tango out there with a BB in his forehead and one in his ear. We also convinced him to make a small gas bomb (he used kerosene and spilled some on himself). Burnt his shirt (his older brother's Dukes of Hazard shirt, a family favorite) and put some holes in his dad's burn barrel when it went boom. He lost his eyebrows and got beat pretty good. That kid was a moron but those days were a good time.

Probably a state senator now…...

ultra...good

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2012
    A few years ago, when my niece was a little lady (3-4), I (Santa) gave her a tricycle for Christmas. The tricycle had a small trunk on it, right behind the seat.

A few days after Christmas, I was watching television and she came into the room on the tricycle, got off of it, opened the trunk and took something out. She looked up and saw me sitting there and without missing a beat said: "Uncle Joe, I got junk in my trunk" and walked away. One of the funniest and cutest things I have ever seen. If only it was recorded, she would have had a heck of a retirement fund.

And now back to the self destructive stuff-------

Redtbird

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Apr 18, 2012
    Monroe County
    A few years ago, when my niece was a little lady (3-4), I (Santa) gave her a tricycle for Christmas. The tricycle had a small trunk on it, right behind the seat.

A few days after Christmas, I was watching television and she came into the room on the tricycle, got off of it, opened the trunk and took something out. She looked up and saw me sitting there and without missing a beat said: "Uncle Joe, I got junk in my trunk" and walked away. One of the funniest and cutest things I have ever seen. If only it was recorded, she would have had a heck of a retirement fund.

And now back to the self destructive stuff-------

Out of the mouths of babes...

My kids said some really funny stuff when they were little. Younger son, 5th grade: "What has a thousand teeth and holds back a monster?"
    Me: "I don't know..." Son: "My zipper!"

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    If you watch the movie "American Graffiti" you will see a blue print of my high school years well into my mid 20's.
    Street racing/music/girls/working on the farm when I could/etc. and having a job.
    Throw in a good fist fight every week or so and that was it pretty much.

Grade school was racing go Karts/building mini-bikes/girls/working on the farm when school was out/a good fist fight every week or so and that pretty much covers it.

Yeah, we pulled some stunts and got in way more than our share of trouble.

schafe

Master
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Monroe Co.
    We launched walnuts at least 1 1/2 city blocks using an old bike inner tube stretched between bars of a tall swingset frame. Sometimes it took 3 of us to stretch this super-slingshot as far as we wanted. We did this with impunity for weeks, launching and running into the house, giggling, knowing that the walnuts were going so far, no one would figure out where they were coming from. (wrong!!!)
    Got caught and punished. The miscalculation was that we failed to notice we were the only house for miles with a walnut tree !!........ OOOOOPS!!:ugh:

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    We launched walnuts at least 1 1/2 city blocks using an old bike inner tube stretched between bars of a tall swingset frame. Sometimes it took 3 of us to stretch this super-slingshot as far as we wanted. We did this with impunity for weeks, launching and running into the house, giggling, knowing that the walnuts were going so far, no one would figure out where they were coming from. (wrong!!!)
    Got caught and punished. The miscalculation was that we failed to notice we were the only house for miles with a walnut tree !!........ OOOOOPS!!:ugh:

Should have used buckeyes.

Top Bottom