• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Westside

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Monitor World
    the "City" keeps saying it makes so much money for businesses but literally every business owner I now and almost every person I know, regardless of race, says the whole event should be canceled.

Martin Draco

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 24, 2010
    A lot of the restaurants have trouble staffing during Expo. Many waiters, waitresses, bar tenders etc. call in sick or even quit during expo. People who's livelihoods depend on tips and generosity of patrons historically work there butts off and have to put up with a lot of crap for nothing during this event. I don't believe it's a racial issue, it's more of the fact that this event draws people from all over and a few bad apples (which when you think of a crowd of this size is a considerable number of apples) have ruined the bunch. If you combine that with the fact that a lot of regular downtown visitors stay away during this event people can't even count on the generosity of their regular patrons.

tedbower

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2009
    mooresville
    That's wierd. You can't make money on a $39 ribeye or a $38 filet?
    Think about this for just a minute , IF it was profitable to stay open why in the world would a smart business person close ? The people attracted to this event are not ordering 39.00 steaks and if they are they are probably not going to pay for it without complaining and not tipping.

Ogre

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Think about this for just a minute , IF it was profitable to stay open why in the world would a smart business person close ? The people attracted to this event are not ordering 39.00 steaks and if they are they are probably not going to pay for it without complaining and not tipping.
    This, unfortunately, was my experience with the event when I worked in the hospitality industry downtown in the mid to late nineties. My bad experiences with the event go beyond this but I digress.:cool:

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2011

Exactly. I have to imagine that small businesses in particular would love a large influx of cash and would stay open if the expo was a money-maker. Of course, that may not be an option owing to the employees basically fleeing the area during the celebration...

Top Bottom