• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Eric70

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 20, 2011
    Covington
    I live about ten miles from the IL state line, it's about a twenty minute drive to Danville,IL. They have a dunhams sports and I had heard that they would not sell long guns or ammo to Indiana residents, even though it's legal. So me being curious I had to find out, sure enough back at the gun counter there was a sign that said "No gun or ammo sales to Indiana residents". I asked why this was and the lady told me it was company policy because IL laws are so wacky. She said they had made corporate aware that they were missing out on a lot of would be customers from Indiana, since they were so close to the state line, and that hopefully they would be changing it soon. She also told me she heard a rumor that they were going to open one in Lafayette, which is about an hour drive for me.

acersbull

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 21, 2009
    Osceola
    Dunham's is a pain in the butt with their "corporate" policies...at least in my neck of the woods. They lost my business several years ago.

totenkopf

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    Acersbull,

My wife's family live in Kanakee County, IL and I think I might be able to offer an explanation on that specific Dunham's policy. When we were driving up to visit her relatives, I happened to come across a small shop (not a Dunhams), located not far into IL. We had some spare time, so I went in just to look. Guy has a 1903 in beautiful condition sitting on the shelf for $650. Upon asking I learned that it was a CMP piece whose late owner was forced to sell it. I tried to buy it. Shopkeeper looked at my driver's license and informed me that due to Illinois law requiring all prospective purchasers to have an FOID (firearms owner i.d. card), he couldn't sell it to me directly in person, but was willing to send it to my local f.f.l. to oversee the transfer.

Long story short, I got my 1903, but it sucked being unable to buy a long gun in IL, even though I thought federal law said I could. Perhaps as an IN resident, the lack of a repressive FOID system is why they won't (or perhaps) can't sell to IN residents.

wagyu52

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    South of cob corner
    Don't worry Dunhams won't be in Dville long, just like every other "new" store in that mall. I can understand the firearms, but the ammo? Just keep going to Wally mart or bigens "R". I hate Illinois and there stupid gun laws :xmad:

Eric70

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 20, 2011
    Covington
    I hate going there also, in the last two months I have been trying to go to crawfordsville as much as I can. It is 15 miles farther but I try to remind myself that the money I spend is staying in Indiana.

BrentTheBoat

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Oct 21, 2011
    Columbus
    This is while I would never live in Illinois. I was at a Illinois and they had a good deal on a muzzleloader. Showed my idea to be able to touch it, was getting ready to fill out paperwork and the clerk said "oh theres a 24 hr waiting period". Well being there for work for only 1 night I couldn't wait around, so no sale. Oh and theres a 72 hour wait for handguns. What a state.:(

Eric70

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 20, 2011
    Covington
    I know what you mean, I don't understand why the people of Illinois put up with it. But I think that state is so corrupt that it will never change.

wagyu52

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    South of cob corner
    Eric70, I live just to close to Dville [2Mi from the state line] my wife works there also, and I like the time difference. We seem to go to Laff. more in the summer when the days are longer, but it's about 45 Mi, so it's usually a day trip. Do you pack a gun in Ill? I know a LTCH is no good there, but I have read on here that if it's unloaded, in a case, in the trunk,glovebox,console it is legal. Thats what I have been doing, at least I am not unarmed when we get home.

iam1096

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2008
    Ohio
    If you live near Danville, drive to Cayuga. Darrell's gun shop was always great. Moved from Danville Il. 6 years ago and don't miss Il. Laws!

Eric70

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 20, 2011
    Covington
    Wagyu52, I don't have my LTCH yet I am planning on applying for it in the next week or two. But I believe you are right about locking the gun away when going to IL.

walker

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2010
    Terre Haute
    Have you tried Big R on route1 just south of I-74. They had guns and some fishing stuff in there. I think it is part of an outlet for Bass-Pro. It's been a good year since I was in there last.

wagyu52

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    South of cob corner
    Big"R" is a good sorce for ammo, lots of variety, they won't let you handle a gun without a FOID. I heard in Ill. it is against the law to even posess ammo without a FOID.

IndyMedic

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Indianapolis
    My wife is from auburn, so whenever we visit her family I always try to run into Dunhams. They seem to have an alright selection with reasonable prices.

Luckily I have no reason to ever go to IL so I don't have to worry about the anti gun laws.

jason765

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 25, 2011
    Henry County
    It's because of the FOID card and Illinois has real d****bag policies when it comes to non-resident, I guess they just have d****bag gun policies in general, but thats what it is. Any store in the state that sold ammo to an Indiana resident would be violating Illinois state law.

Eric70

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 20, 2011
    Covington
    I buy ammo at wal-mart in IL all the time with no problems, same at Big R. And I am definately getting the life time, my wife is also getting hers.

JoshuaRWhite

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 15, 2011
    South Bend, Indiana
    I work at the Mishawaka Dunham's, Dunham's like to go way overboard on policy to protect itself. We got the license plate number from a guy who stole thousands of dollars from us and they were afraid to press charges because of lawsuits.

Eric70

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 20, 2011
    Covington
    I work at the Mishawaka Dunham's, Dunham's like to go way overboard on policy to protect itself. We got the license plate number from a guy who stole thousands of dollars from us and they were afraid to press charges because of lawsuits.

That's crazy!!

Top Bottom