• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    OK, I booked my tickets at the Santikos Palladium IMAX - 70mm theater in San Antonio for Sunday. Looking forward to a decent movie for once.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    I hope it's a well done show, look forward (with some trepidation) to seeing it. I hope they get the guns right (and aircraft) and that the flying is real, not X-Wing vs Tie fighter CGI like Red Tails was.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    I hope it's a well done show, look forward (with some trepidation) to seeing it. I hope they get the guns right (and aircraft) and that the flying is real, not X-Wing vs Tie fighter CGI like Red Tails was.

One of the reviews/comments/whatever I read about it says that Nolan had a IMAX camera mounted in the cockpit and on the wing of a Spitfire to get some of the action shots, and also that he decided to go with real ships for the destroyers instead of CGI. So we can keep our hopes up.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    One of the reviews/comments/whatever I read about it says that Nolan had a IMAX camera mounted in the cockpit and on the wing of a Spitfire to get some of the action shots, and also that he decided to go with real ships for the destroyers instead of CGI. So we can keep our hopes up.

[video=youtube;BmlnltVzksg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BmlnltVzksg[/video]

MadMan66

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 7, 2012
    Hogshitt's Paradise
    I have my ticket for the 9:30pm Friday showing at the State Museum IMAX in 70mm! I have been wanting to see it since I saw the trailer in 70mm at this theater when I saw Rogue One. The dog fight scenes looked awesome and the gun fire shook my jeans :ar15:

Phase2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    The best scene is when John Belushi rallies the troops (language warning):

[video=youtube_share;V8lT1o0sDwI]http://youtu.be/V8lT1o0sDwI[/video]

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    I saw it today at the IMAX. It is a beautiful film in many ways. I especially enjoyed Tom Hardy in his Spitfire. The sound system at the IMAX was overly loud and therefore the Hans Zimmer score was piercing at times. It was provident that there was little dialogue in the movie as that which was included was almost unintelligible with the overly loud sound system.

On the downside, I don't think the film benefitted from the IMAX format over a traditional wide-angle film. IMAX is immersive and the people I was with felt too close to the screen, having difficulty focusing, even though we sat in the back 25% of the theatre.

I also wondered: Where are all the men? Where are the ships? Where are all the civilian craft of Little Dunkirk? At most, a couple of thousand men were on screen, a few military craft and perhaps 2 dozen civilian craft. 3 Spitfires, a Junker (bomber) and some (3?) Messerschmidts. It seems to me you either have a blockbuster with 200,000 and a fleet of ships and aircraft....or you have a small, intimate movie. We got the latter on a big screen. It didn't really work for me.

But I enjoyed it. The aircraft scenes especially. Tom Hardy made the movie for me, even though he said less than 100 words.

rkwhyte2

aka: Vinny
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Sep 26, 2012
    Sheridan
    Saw it last night at the Flix Brewhouse in Carmel. I thought it was very well done. I will say the sound in the theater was really loud when it needed to be. Overall I give it a thumbs up. On a side note the food was great and the beer even better.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Don't judge! He may just feel the need to be outraged.

#OUTRAGED LIVES MATTER
    Some days it is hard to keep up a proper level of outrage... I think I am just getting old. I am grateful to wake up, get out of bed, enjoy a good breakfast, etc.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Just got back from seeing it, I give it a solid meh. Sorry but if I wouldn't pay to see it again or buy it on dvd even at garage sale prices "meh" is the best it can get.

Top Bottom