DuraCoat, CeraKote, Parkerized- too many choices- help!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • moischmoe

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Noble County, IN
    I have a Keltec PF9 with just a little surface rust on the slide. I tried to remove the rust with a q-tip and "The Works" toilet bowl cleaner. It dissolves rust, and apparently, bluing too. Gee, who knew. :dunno: It didn't say "Don't not use on guns" on the label. Now a have a small, q-tip sized spot on my slide that is bare.

So now, I need to get the slide refinished. There are so many options, I'm getting overhelmed. I am interested in Parkerization, DuraCoat, and CeraKote. What are your experiences?

jmiller676

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    18 feet up
    Step 1.- Invest in Hoppes

Personally I like parkerized things. And I think you can get a DIY kit. For a Kel-Tec it would be a good gun to practice on. ;)

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I'd contact Keltec and see what they would charge to refinish it for you. Very well may be the most affordable option.

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    From the experience I've had with a Slide that has been dura-coated I would not every have anything but the original Park or whatever the factory put on it, it took 2000 rounds to where in the coating did not interfere with operation and now every once in a while it gets a new chip or scratch

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    Free duracoatI

I'm Duracoating some stuff this w/e. If you want to mail the slide to me I'll degrease and coat it for free if you want. please dis-assemble it since I don't know anything about that particular gun and any pins, screws, or sight dovetails will bleed oil under the finish. I have some matte black or Flat Dark Earth as well as some WWII O/D green. I have 2 or maybe 3 other colors in the fridge but I'm not home 'til Saturday to check on the actual names on the bottles. If you wanna come down and shoot and hang out I've got a 100 yd range with no shade. Bring beer for the shoot the bull session.:)::D Early morning is good if you don't want to fry. I really ought to buy an easy up shade awning for the bench.

I live near Beanblossom. PM me

I just checked your location. You're 3 hours or better away. If you want to mail it down just give me a pm and we'll talk about it.

Last edited:

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    duracoat isn't perfect

From the experience I've had with a Slide that has been dura-coated I would not every have anything but the original Park or whatever the factory put on it, it took 2000 rounds to where in the coating did not interfere with operation and now every once in a while it gets a new chip or scratch

The duracoat is tough and gets harder with age. I don't think I'd duracoat the rails heavily unless the action was sloppy to begin with. I duracoated my Frankenruger bolt and fired it the first day(LCW recommends that you wait about three weeks for it to cure or bake it on wear items, I did neither) I works as well or better than it did uncoated. You can see the wear on the bolt body so next time I'll sand blast the bolt and bake it b4 I run it.
    DSCN1069.jpg

DSCN1068-1.jpg

pute62

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Lawrence
    I would first take photos of the "Q-tip sized spot" and contact the makers of "The Works" demanding compansation for not haveing a warning not to use on guns. (it's the American way) The blueing on the PF9'S ain't the greatest from the factory to begin with so the best bet is to take patience0830 up on his offer. A few beers,free duracoating and a chance to do some shooting sounds like a good deal. Plus if he screws up the duracoat job you can add him in on the lawsuit. Either way you win. lol

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I just dropped off a rifle bolt and a field knife to a Bell Armor place in Fort Wayne. I'm really interested in trying out the duracoat finishes and seeing how they stand up. I plan on making a report on it when I get it back, but it's not going to be for another week or two.

bamthetrashman

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jan 27, 2010
    Southern Indiana
    I have PF-9 blued model that is fairly new and the finish is still looking good. However, I have my doubts that the finish will hold if I ever start CC'ing the pistol because the bluing looks very light, at least not as deep as my Marlin 1894c.

Anyways, I have done some research about getting the PF-9 refinished and I came across a website called "goldenloki.com". It has a weird name, but it seems like its some guy's website that specializes in duracoating Kel-Tecs and Ruger LCPs. He will duracoat the slide for $30, but I think you have to pay for S&H. I am thinking about sending my PF-9 slide to him whenever the blueing starts to wear. He has pics up on the website and everything looks pretty good.

Top Bottom