• ...and so much more!
  • sumphead

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Avon, IN
    Long time lurker, first time poster.....:D

So, I've been looking around the forum seeing what I can contribute. Well, I am have been airbrushing for about 20 years now. I've shot everything from t-shirts to cars. So I thought WTH, lets try and shoot some Duracoat. Maybe we can share some experiences and I can learn a little as well as teach a few others a bit. Even if you aren't shooting duracoat, the same principles apply.

So my first go at duracoat was to shoot the lower on my G21. The process couldn't have been any easier. I mixed small about using a graduated syringe (plastic, so one time use) 6CCs of WWII OD Green, and .5CC of resin. This was plenty for a light flash coat and second. I did the lettering with some HOK I had around.

278f31c0.jpg

21388666.jpg

NEXT up I wanted to try something a little tougher. A buddy of mine said I could play with his GSG-5. So last night after stripping and cleaning I hit it hard. Now this is where I depart from duracoat tradition. I used low-tack frisket and an exacto for my stencils. This worked very well with clean lines, but I wish the frisket was a little more flexible. What do ya'll use?

Anyway....Vietnam Tiger Stripe, with custom black/OD mixed base.

46f21366.jpg

It came out very well. I still have to shoot the clear to even the tones a bit.

For those curious, I am shooting with an Iwata HP-C plus at about 18-20 psi. It's a bit small for these jobs but allows great coverage in nooks and crannies.

Questions? Tips? Thoughts?

sumphead

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Avon, IN
    Naw, Mr. Vet. There's a trick to it. No steady hands needed. Perhaps I should make another thread with a "how to." You see people use fingernail polish from time to time. I don't recommend that at all. But with the right enamel, it looks good, won't fade, and is as permanent as you want it to be.

gvsugod

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   1
    Mar 19, 2012
    SW Indianapolis
    Nice! Rifle is a little flashy for my taste but it still looks cool. I want to do that to my WASR when I am finished. I want the stock and accessories to be OD. I would have just bought them, but I couldnt find all the peices I wanted in that color.

Fergy35

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    NE Corner of our gre
    Good looking work there, thanks for sharing. I have toyed around with my air brush a little, but haven't worked up the nerve to try it on a gun yet.

If you have the time, please do show us how you did the lettering.

sumphead

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Avon, IN
    Just playing with a few spare mags....not as easy as auto air or HOK, but I'll play 'til I master it....

Last edited:
    Top Bottom