• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2013
    I have an EAA Witness 45/22 and the finish is starting to wear after only owning this gun for a short period of time... Granted I do go shoot alot...

I am considering Duracoating or Ceracoating this gun...

My question is how expensive or difficult is it to do this yourself? And, Which is better??? and Why???

indyk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Alpha site
    I had this same question today, i typed it into the search and found all my answers. I found a diverse amount of posts help me make up my mind which product was better for me.
    :draw:

us_agent

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2010
    Both can cost about the same for materials depending on what you want to do. If you don't have a compressor or spray gun you might want to farm it out. I would lean towards cerakote because I think it's tougher, but that's just me. I have duracoated before and maybe due to my prep it has shown a few marks but its very easy to apply so you can redo it if your results are below your expectations with ease. Cerakote also requires an oven or a smoker. Some people use their own oven that they cook food in. We used an old smoker for some knives. Cerakotes web site shows comparison tests for wear and it bests durakote by far. Look there for more info. They get my vote.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    INGOer Sumphead just finished the slide on my PF-9. It should be at home when I get there in the morning. Drop him a message and see what he can do for you.

indyk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Alpha site
    I wanna play,

Im going with the RAL 8000, Ive been driving around the Franklin National Guard and out in thier lot are some utility trucks, etc that have the RAL 8000 paint on em, Its not Desert sand or dark earth, its more like African Panzer brown with olive and mustard tones:bowdown: Im realllly diggn this color.
    trex_RAL8000.jpg

RAL 8000 in bright light
    IWA_2012_HK_02.jpg

400_Pz_III_DAK.jpg

RAL 8000 in low light
    xgifxy.jpg

Im going with the Cerakote, Ive watched a few hundred videos and testimonials on the product to feel that this is the material I want to use.
    Its super durable and if it does wear from severe scratches, etc it will only make it look more bad ass.:rockwoot:

I like the FDE Glock but the Dark earth didnt have enough mustard tone in it for me.

Im only going to have the polymer coated not any of the metal.

Next Im going to check out past posts to see who the bad boy is that can do it for me:ingo:

Last edited:

xdmdude

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 22, 2010
    southport
    I have always thought this would be a cool way to personalize your whatever. Whats the rough cost to have it done? I don‘t imagine it's cheap. Actually i'd be willing to try either duracoat or cerakote on a knife if anyone knows someone or someplace around indy to get it done for a fair price.

Last edited:

grand champ

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2013
    I have always thought this would be a cool way to personalize your whatever. Whats the rough cost to have it done? I don‘t imagine it's cheap. Actually i'd be willing to try either duracoat or cerakote on a knife if anyone knows someone or someplace around indy to get it done for a fair price.

My buddys getting his g19 cerakoted,was quoted $150. Once I see finished results of his I mite do mine.

Top Bottom