• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Grizhicks

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    New Palestine
    Good Morning to All -- New to reloading and tumbled my first bunch of brass this weekend. Everything can out nice & clean, but there seems to be bit of media dust inside the shells. Does that need to be cleaned out? If so, how? Thanks, in advance, for your help. -- Greg

henktermaat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    I find that some sticks to the inside of the shells due to static attraction or moisture (It's been VERY humid lately.) I usually take a pencil eraser and wipe that stuff out right before I load it.

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    I have loaded for 30 years and if it is just a light dust that you can swab out with a qtip or something don't worry about it , if its a build up in the bottom of the case then you need to clean it out

take your air hose and blow them out if it bothers you. I have had a guy do me a favor and tumble some for me and he used a bunch of Flitz metal polish in his media and the media dust was a solid mass in the bottom of the case that caused me all sorts of trouble.

to answer question

Dust that does not build up, don't worry about it,

caked up gunk clean out

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    I have loaded for 30 years and if it is just a light dust that you can swab out with a qtip or something don't worry about it , if its a build up in the bottom of the case then you need to clean it out

take your air hose and blow them out if it bothers you. I have had a guy do me a favor and tumble some for me and he used a bunch of Flitz metal polish in his media and the media dust was a solid mass in the bottom of the case that caused me all sorts of trouble.

to answer question

Dust that does not build up, don't worry about it,

caked up gunk clean out

Whenever you use an additive like that, you have to run it through the media for a few minutes to spread out and soak into the media before adding brass. Don't ask how I know;)

As far as dust: throwing a dryer sheet in the media helps control dust. Adding some Flitz or other non-ammonia based brass polish helps too.

If you're using walnut, you'll probably still have a bit of dust. Its generally not a problem, but a blast of air will clean it up quickly and easily.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I have never been concerned about dust from the tumbler (or the black dust from old powder residue) If it is dust and not chunks of actual media, it will cause no harm. Until the 1980's, most people made almost no attempt at cleaning the insides or the outsides.

midget

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 2, 2010
    Leo
    I have never been concerned about dust from the tumbler (or the black dust from old powder residue) If it is dust and not chunks of actual media, it will cause no harm. Until the 1980's, most people made almost no attempt at cleaning the insides or the outsides.

Right, my Grandpa mocks me every time he sees my loaded ammo... He thinks it should just be kept dirty lol...

Top Bottom