• ...and so much more!
  • sugarcreekbrass

Expert
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 29, 2015
    West central
    I’ve always wondered why the CO’s are granted this much power. No search warrant required - even when going on privately owned land. Is it because we are hunting the King’s deer ? That is, the State of Indiana’s deer ?

I once had a discussion with a CO about what was required to satisfy the written permission requirement re: hunting on someone else’s land. I asked if I had a written and signed statement from the landowner if the signature need to be notarized ? What proof did I need that the person signing the permission slip was the actual owner of the mane ? The reply I got was that a notary of the signature wasn’t a requirement but would be better. Re: proof of who actually owned the land, the CO stated he could push it as far as he chose to - up to and including requiring a copy of a recorded deed from the county recorder’s office. Seemed a little over the top to me.

If someone is asking for that much proof, they either hate you, or need to be knocked off their high horse! A hand written, signed note from a landowner is all that is needed. Some people type up a more formal letter including a hold harmless release. That is more so the landowner feels comfortable allowing someone to hunt their land.

DFacres

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 14, 2015
    This sphere
    If someone is asking for that much proof, they either hate you, or need to be knocked off their high horse! A hand written, signed note from a landowner is all that is needed. Some people type up a more formal letter including a hold harmless release. That is more so the landowner feels comfortable allowing someone to hunt their land.

IC already specifies that the landowners are held harmless if granting permission. It is usually listed in the DNR regulation booklets that you can get just about anywhere

justacog

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2018
    Brownstown

So, does having permission includes being able to show that permission in writing to the CO? I know some folks who hunt on friend/coworker/acquaintance land with just verbal permission and they've previously invited me to join them. Having read this, I did a search and found the following DNR form:
    https://www.in.gov/dnr/fishwild/files/fw-Private_Land_Permission_Form.pdf
    I can't seem to find anything that says showing written/signed authorization is required by law if interrogated in the field. Does each hunter in the group require individual written permission, or is it this form and other written/signed notes just voluntary CYA for the hunter?

sugarcreekbrass

Expert
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 29, 2015
    West central
    Written permission is required when coyote hunting outside the actual hunting season. Written permission is not needed when hunting anything in season. That form you found is just one way to have actual proof of the agreement between you and the landowner. If you are close with the landowner, the form probably isn't needed. If you just asked someone to hunt, this eases uncertainty with the landowner. With just verbal agreement, the landowner could deny giving permission then call you in for trespassing. Some landowners will give you permission, but do not want you to bring others along, except for maybe your family. As long as you and the landowner is in agreement on the conditions/stipulations of your permission, written or verbal, you are good to go.

Last edited:

yetti462

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 18, 2016
    Unglaciated heaven
    Written permission is required when coyote hunting outside the actual hunting season. Written permission is not needed when hunting anything in season. That form you found is just one way to have actual proof of the agreement between you and the landowner. If you are close with the landowner, the form probably isn't needed. If you just asked someone to hunt, this eases uncertainty with the landowner. With just verbal agreement, the landowner could deny giving permission then call you in for trespassing. Some landowners will give you permission, but do not want you to bring others along, except for maybe your family. As long as you and the landowner is in agreement on the conditions/stipulations of your permission, written or verbal, you are good to go.

I had a buddy of mine get busted shooting a coon out of season, he had my permission to kill all coons regardless of season, only problem was I didn't give written permission. It was presented in court that written permission is needed for coyote when out of season. He still got the hammer over a dang ole coon.

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    Does anyone know of a boilerplate kind of firm that is written in the needed legal form that would allow a person to hunt.

I __ grant permission to ___ for the purpose of hunting on my land at ____ blah blah blah

Top Bottom