• ...and so much more!
  • T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    263   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    Picked up this fullsize Witness .45 with the wonder finish recently from a good Ingo friend and decided to convert it to single action only. All that is needed is a SAO trigger and removal of the disconnector. I decided to reshape the factory curved trigger and install pre-travel and over-travel screws. A new trigger is $80 on up with several variations available. I wanted to be different, but also figured if I screwed it up, I'd just order a trigger.

Step one, remove factory disconnector. Drive out the roll pin holding the hammer in the frame and then drive out the roll pin holding the disco to the hammer. I took an after pic, but you get the idea.

20221227_190011.jpg

20221227_190118.jpg

Step two, install pre-travel set screw into factory trigger and then verify correct SAO operation before continuing. I actually verified operation before this step as well, but there's about 2 miles of pre-travel with no adjustment screw.

20221227_164141.jpg

20221227_164109.jpg

Step three. Now the fun begins. Heat and reshape the trigger shoe. Propane torch, vise and small ball peen hammer. Then trim off the end a little bit so it fits back inside the trigger guard.

20221227_180825.jpg

Step four, install over-travel screw. This screw is pretty damn long, but functional.

20221227_194820.jpg

Step five. Clean up the trigger assy to hide the marks from the 5lb sledge (joking). Prep for and apply cold bluing (I used the Brownells stuff, Oxpho Blue).

20221227_212554.jpg

Reinstalled after bluing. Applied red loctite to the screws and adjusted them.

20221227_233640.jpg

Function checked and got the trigger pull gauge out. 5 pull average was 3.5oz lower than before, could be contributed to some very light polishing I did or just the way the gauge was on the trigger versus before. Feels like a new gun and ready for a range trip!

20221227_233455.jpg

20221227_234210.jpg

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Amazing job on this TD. I’d never have guessed that the curved trigger could be reshaped like that.

I’ve done this conversion to CZs in the past, but with purchased parts. The SAO conversion makes for a much better trigger when the pre and over travel screws are adjusted. It’s not quite 1911 good, but as good or better than any of my Sig SAO Legion factory triggers.

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    263   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    O.k. I'm curious.
    What's the reason for converting to SAO?
    Serious question.
    For me personally, a few reasons.

1) I heavily prefer a flatter shaped trigger, but I could see that cause problems for me with a DA/SA gun. I might not be able to reach the trigger in DA. I suspect that's one reason you mostly see DA/SA guns have curved triggers. And another perceived "issue" is the trigger angling back at the end of the trigger pull, causing your finger to slide down the trigger shoe. CZ has some handguns with an Omega Convertible trigger setup (can swap between decocker and manual thumb safety) and I have noticed my finger sliding down the trigger shoe on those guns and did not enjoy the gun for that reason, it felt strange to me.

2) This is a range only gun and my only DA/SA semi auto, so I didn't see the point in having the DA (which was 11bs 5oz by the way) and the curved trigger. I loved everything else about the gun.

3) It cost me nothing and I love projects.

4) I am bored and can't leave anything stock.

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    263   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    Amazing job on this TD. I’d never have guessed that the curved trigger could be reshaped like that.

I’ve done this conversion to CZs in the past, but with purchased parts. The SAO conversion makes for a much better trigger when the pre and over travel screws are adjusted. It’s not quite 1911 good, but as good or better than any of my Sig SAO Legion factory triggers.
    Thanks! I wasn't 100% sure it could be reshaped either, but I guess I got lucky. This could use a hammer with shorter hooks to make it nicer, the factory hammer hooks are pretty long on this one.

llh1956

CZ Wizard
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Jul 31, 2010
    Lawrence, IN.
    Good work TD! Here is a thought for you. I have a set of CZ stock hammer & Sear that I stoned the hammer hooks down to .010 to make it like a CGW part. It worked just fine but it was a long process, and it is much easier and faster to buy the CGW parts because the stock parts are hardened,

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    263   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    30 rounds fired for a function test this past Saturday. The SAO conversion, trigger reshape and getting the pre/post travel adjusted made for a very enjoyable shooting experience.

7-8 yards / standing / unsupported. Last group on right was using a 6:00 hold. I really like this gun. I plan to upgrade the hammer/sear combo and add some reduced power springs to get the travel of the trigger reduced along with a lighter pull weight.

20221231_142030.jpg

Top Bottom