• ...and so much more!
  • Hotdoger

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Boone County, In.
    More zero tolerance idiocy!

On Wednesday night, the Lansingburgh Central School District board of education rejected Whalen's appeal of the punishment and decided not to expunge the blemish on the record of the Eagle Scout suspended for having a pocketknife in his car while the vehicle was on the grounds of Lansingburgh High School.
    Whalen received a 20-day suspension in September after he turned over to school administrators a 1 1/2-inch knife that he kept in his glove box as part of a car survival kit. He returned to school in October. Whalen has said he does not know how school officials learned he had a pocketknife in his car, but suspects another student may have tipped off administrators in an attempt to pull a prank on him.

Read more: http://www.timesunion.com/ASPStories/story.asp?StoryID=868106#ixzz0oWKWgZTg

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Whalen has said he does not know how school officials learned he had a pocketknife in his car, but suspects another student may have tipped off administrators in an attempt to pull a prank on him.

AHER AHER AHER! I TOWD ON WOU FER HAVIN A KANEEF IN UR CAR DOOOD! HA HA

*BAM*

The End.

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    Oh NOOEEES, an evil Scout with a knife, everybody RUN! :rolleyes:

I was a Scout, and I carried a small knife that was my dad's as a youngster, and a Swiss Army knife from 13 years old on.

The teachers knew it, and nobody thought twice about it.

Edit: A 1 1/2 INCH knife in a survival kit, is a WEAPON??? Lord help us.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    I carried a knife in my pocket every day of high school from 95-99 and I'm pretty sure I carried one the two years I was in junior high as well. This is an absolute joke.

You're right, it is. But because we have a bunch of whiny yuppies with kids now in school, PCness and fear has taken the place of common sense and personal responsibility.

We should lobby schools to require self defense martial arts, like Tae Kwon Do, as required curriculum in 5th, 8th, and 9th grades. IMHO of course.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I'm not surprised. Aren't these the same people who can't teach Johnny how to read and write, but spread the seeds of lies of the left-wing to our children?

Modhydro

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 14, 2009
    Changing times I guess

When I was in High School in Hobart in the mid 1980's my keyring was (and still is) a nice little Schrade knife my dad gave me for a birthday. Teachers knew I had it and a few times they even asked if they could borrow it for a minute in class! Things were a lot simpler then though, if you screwed up, there were consequences. We understood that we were responsible for our actions. The teachers and administrators were also allowed to make judgement calls based on circumstances and facts.

Boy do I miss those days......

Steve

EMC0853

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    What a joke. This is so typical of a society gone mad. The knife was in a glove compartment and for that "offense" he gets a month suspension? It's nuts. Hope the prankster had a real good laugh.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    You'd think, after the MANY ridiculous "zero tolerance" debacles of the past several years, policy writers would make a serious effort to create at least 1% tolerance rules. You know... afford themselves an out for things like this?

Why aren't they embarrassed by all these asinine affronts to reasonability?

:dunno: Unreal.

JBusch8899

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    You'd think, after the MANY ridiculous "zero tolerance" debacles of the past several years, policy writers would make a serious effort to create at least 1% tolerance rules. You know... afford themselves an out for things like this?

Why aren't they embarrassed by all these asinine affronts to reasonability?

:dunno: Unreal.

To expound upon this, why haven't those same policy deciders, ever created a "zero tolerance" rule that would apply to themselves?

Its hubris at it's very height.

Top Bottom