• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Ive seen a couple eagle's nest somewhat local to me. They're pretty well known and lots of people stop to observe them. I have a nice woods that I live in. While it would be cool to have an eage's nest in my back yard, I don't think I'd want one for a couple of reasons. I'd have a lot of people wanting to come see it and I'd have to worry about what DNR would do. Could they effectively shut down my use of my property? I know there are laws that prevent landowners from scaring off raptors. I'm in the beginning stages of getting the woods cleaned up. Would I be allowed to run my gator and tractor around my property or will the tree huggers prevent me from doing so?

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Gate your "community" and hire a watchman ;)

But on the serious side... unless you or prev owner put it into some gov. program I don't think they can mess with you.

If some raptors show up, leave 'em be. If normal activity is too much for them they'll leave.

Nothing to worry about IMHO, unless you have a small dog you're fond of that runs all around. But then it's probably more
    apt to be coyote food.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I don't like disturbing the wildlife any more than I absolutely have to. I felt bad yesterday because I was doing yardwork around the barn and disturbed a bunny nest. I haven't seen bunnies around here in so long. I imagine most of the yotes have taken care of them. I've got plenty of squirrels. They can get away from the yotes.

If I had an eage's nest here, I wouldn't do anything to try to run it off. I just wouldn't want the attention that it brings. Are they more apt to nest near water? I'm a half mile from the nearest creek.

GlockRock

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    We have an eagles nest on the farm. It's well known and we get a lot of people stopping on the roadway and watching them. We farm 360 degrees around the tree less than 5 feet from the base of it. A few years ago some lady tried to get the DNR to make us quit farming the land because of the eagles. The DNR told her that they couldnt do anything. The eagles chose the location of their nest. It's about 200 yards from the river out in the open.

hountzmj

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    SE Indiana
    I have a hawk of some sort that nests either on or right near my place. The property line is sort of ambiguous in that area, thus the confusion.

From my understanding, as long as you aren't doing things to maliciously affect the eagles ( or other raptors) you're ok. The birds chose that spot when you were using the property in your normal ways. They will stay through that.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I'd have a lot of people wanting to come see it and I'd have to worry about what DNR would do.

When you say DNR do you also mean the feds as well? Is this a "what if" or "what can they do" question?

You probably already know, but remember not to pick up the feathers and do not disturb the nest (so no knocking on the nest to borrow a cup of fish or rabbit).

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    As far as the implicated federal statutes, I would Google up:

The Bald Eagle Protection Act

The Migratory Bird Treat Act

and the National Bald Eagle Management Guidelines

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    When you say DNR do you also mean the feds as well? Is this a "what if" or "what can they do" question?

You probably already know, but remember not to pick up the feathers and do not disturb the nest (so no knocking on the nest to borrow a cup of fish or rabbit).

Any manner of person who would try to tell me what I could and couldn't do with my property. I could probably qualify for wetlands exemptions on my property taxes but I'm not going to abdicate my property rights any more than they already are.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    You won't have a problem if you have an Eagles nest on your land.

If you do, trees can often die unexpectedly. Do you know how to properly girdle a tree below ground so no one knows you did it?

Top Bottom