• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 30calmachinegunner

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Westfield
    Went to check out earls auction at today's preview, was looking at one of the Clark custom 10-22's , I cycled the action to check that it was clear and was wanting to test the trigger, when I squeezed the trigger the freaking thing went off and put a bullet through their wall 5 feet in front of me. I don't know whether to be more pissed at myself for missing it( I assume a round was stuck in a tight chamber) or at Earls for putting me in that situation. It just goes to show how things can happen, but I'm still not over it.

The he hole is on the west side side of the podium about a foot above the tables.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Since you brought it up, why no visual or tactile check before trigger press? Just because you cycle the action does not mean it is clear? Not that you shouldn't beat Earl's auction folks to a pulp for making you do a stupid thing, but...

OutdoorDad

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 19, 2015
    Indianapolis
    If I were you, I'd be pissed at them.

But if it were me standing near that wall, I'd be having a private conversation with you. 1:1

And it wouldn't be pleasant for either of us.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    A good reminder that cycling the action is only one step of a clearing procedure.

1: weapon oriented in safe direction, finger away from trigger

2: weapon on safe, if applicable

3: magazine removed, if applicable

4: action opened

5: visual inspection of the chamber and magazine well / internal magazine for ammunition or brass.

6: maintain steps 1 and 2 at all times

Sounds like you missed step 5, and possibly 3 as well. Glad everyone is ok. Thanks for the reminder.

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    What the hell is wrong with you that you are even dry firing an empty 22?

Rimfires being such that they are, the firing pin will strike the metal on the rim. Do you know how many 22s I have seen with a divet in the metal from dry firing?

Sounds like the extractor might have been broken.. still stick that finger in and feel. Most 22s can be a little small inside to actually see anything. Poke your finger in there with the bolt back.

Went to check out earls auction at today's preview, was looking at one of the Clark custom 10-22's , I cycled the action to check that it was clear and was wanting to test the trigger, when I squeezed the trigger the freaking thing went off and put a bullet through their wall 5 feet in front of me. I don't know whether to be more pissed at myself for missing it( I assume a round was stuck in a tight chamber) or at Earls for putting me in that situation. It just goes to show how things can happen, but I'm still not over it.

The he hole is on the west side side of the podium about a foot above the tables.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    I'm another visual inspection person. Being mad at Earl's is only half the story. Glad you didn't shoot anybody!

Uh, BigMoose. FYI, dry firing a 10/22 is not harmful like it is with most rim fires. Even says so right there on Page 12 of the owner's manual.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Kudos to you for admitting your failures. That takes guts. Thanks for reminding us to be vigilant.

At least you followed some of the 4 rules and made sure the muzzle was in a safe direction. Look at it this way, you could have saved a life; If you hadnt, the guy who DID manage to squeeze off a round could have done so with the weapon pointed at a person.

30calmachinegunner

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Westfield
    It's so easy for everyone to say what should be done AFTER the fact, armchair quarterbacks are the best. I like the part of sticking your finger in the action to check the chamber, just how small are your fingers anyway? I cycled the action and looked into it but I was trying to point out how easy it is to miss a round stuck in the chamber. I was trying to point out no matter how careful a person try's to be things can happen. If this had happened the day of the auction lots more people would have been around. How many times have you been to a gun show or auction and someone just picks up a gun and pulls the trigger without even attempting to check the action? As far as checking the trigger on a 22 if it's set up right the firing pin will not touch the chamber and this being a "custom" $1000 gun I am damn well going to check it out.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    Well, you did open the door. When you do that here, you have to expect people to come on in. That said, as previously mentioned, kudos for posting it and I don't blame you one bit for wanting to try the trigger. I would have too. I can't even guess how many times I've done that with the many 10/22s I've modified over the years. You're right about the finger thing, though. My fingers, even my pinky, won't fit very far into the receiver of a 10/22 and I wouldn't trust what I felt if they would. On the other hand, I can hold the bolt open and see whether or not there is a round in the chamber. I would have said that BEFORE the fact, too.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Again, cycling the action doesn't always clear a weapon. Way to Tuesday morning cry about Monday morning quarterbacks. If you can't get your sausages in for a tactile check, then a visual is MANDATORY. If you can't see the chamber of a 10/22 with the action open, then there are bigger problems...

j4jenk

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 27, 2012
    Madison County
    i wish that places like this would use chamber flags. That would 100% guarantee that there were no chambered rounds before the general public gets to rub their booger hooks all over the bang switches.

citizenkane

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    I can't help but think this is one of the reasons most places don't want people dry firing their stuff.

I assume that earls could have missed that one but I'd also consider that some a**hat could have put it in there as well.

Markus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 13, 2015
    Indianapolis
    The simple fact is that when "you" pick up a gun, "you" become the responsible party. The fact that you are posting this on a gun site only proves that it can happen to anyone. Notice I did not say "just about"? Safety has to be the first thing on our mind all the time.

ALWAYS keep the gun pointed in a safe direction.
    ALWAYS keep your finger off of the trigger until ready to shoot.
    ALWAYS keep the gun unloaded until ready to use.

Took some guts for the OP to put this thread up but I am glad he did.

walt o

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 10, 2008
    Hammond
    It is always someone else's fault. We are never responsible.Sounds like what we hear from our brothers in Chicago .
    Bet we all have made a mistakes, a good lesson learned

Fullmag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    It's good that you posted and serves as a reminder how quick and easy it's to make a mistake. Do also agree the person on the trigger is the responsible party.

I shot the firing pin out of old shotgun while cleaning it one winter day. You didn't mention if you were looking and pointing the gun before you pulled the trigger. The barrel should have been up or down not towards the wall. Once again we are all responsible for each other's safety and everybody needs to hear what you had to say so the chance of what happened will not happen.

Top Bottom