• ...and so much more!
  • 1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    I took a friend hunting this past weekend. He wanted to break in to the hunting world, and I suggested trying to get after squirrels is a good introduction. We got out to the deer creek area just as it was getting light. Walked about 1/2 mile to a spot of trees with several walnut shells (may have been from last year) on the ground and sat. Within a few minutes saw a tail scurry up a tree and jump out of sight pretty quickly. After a several minutes we moved and tried a few more different spots, but stayed in the same general area. He got the opportunity to see a few doe bedding down and then running out of a meadow, away from someone walking their dog. After the deer we didn't see anything but birds the rest of the morning.

Was bummed that the friend didn't get to see much, but I did warn him hunting is called hunting and not killing for a reason.

It was warm, but not overly hot. Anybody have some early squirrel season tips for next time? May have just been the time of year. I saw the hunting card from a few guys just prior and neither bagged any.

rosejm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 28, 2013
    NWI
    Silence

Those tree rats are listening to you AND to the rest of the wildlife around you.
    The birds you saw? They were warning the squirrels...

roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    Public or private land? Public land squirrels are extra jumpy.

X2 on going later in the day, even evenings.

and x2 on being really quiet. Especially on public land.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    You have to time what they are feeding on... probably too early for walnuts. This time of year I would look for hickory trees.
    Also you need to know what kind of squirrels. If you are in a woods with grays, they get up early. Fox squirrels are lazier (bigger with more meat) and get up later.

bobjones223

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    55   1   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Noblesville, IN
    You have to time what they are feeding on... probably too early for walnuts. This time of year I would look for hickory trees.
    Also you need to know what kind of squirrels. If you are in a woods with grays, they get up early. Fox squirrels are lazier (bigger with more meat) and get up later.

They have been cutting walnuts at my house for weeks.

COOPADUP

Accipiter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 8, 2017
    Hamilton County
    I've got a beechnut, walnut,shag bark,and swamp oak in my yard.
    The squirrels have been like machines over the past few days.

Right after sunrise they seem to be the most active.

Good luck and enjoy the fried squirrel and recommend making some gravy with some of the meat.

Top Bottom