• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    ...Turns out they still sell the puller.
    View attachment 183007
    There were two of these hanging above my grandpa's workbench. I never knew what they were until I bought the house after he died. My other grandpa was helping me remodel the bathroom and I was cussing up a storm trying to pull giant nails from petrified oak 2X4s with a claw hammer. My grandpa said, WTF are you doing? Just go get one of those nail pullers. I was like, what's a nail puller?

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    How big is your tractor?

Try not to lose any of those staples in the pasture. The last thing you want is a horse stepping on one.

Do you have one of these yet?

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    How big is your tractor?

Try not to lose any of those staples in the pasture. The last thing you want is a horse stepping on one.

Do you have one of these yet?
    I've got a 26hp Mahindra so it's on the smaller side.
    RlyV9p4h.jpg

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Super nice. About the same as the JD 790 I mentioned. How hard is it to remove the backhoe? The backhoe does helps lot with pulling with the loader.
    It's not bad, took a few tries to figure it out but I've got it down now and can put it on in about 3-4 minutes. Since I don't have a quick hitch the backhoe requires almost no physical exertion, the hydraulics take care of everything for you. I'd much rather put the backhoe on than any of my other implements.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    It's not bad, took a few tries to figure it out but I've got it down now and can put it on in about 3-4 minutes. Since I don't have a quick hitch the backhoe requires almost no physical exertion, the hydraulics take care of everything for you. I'd much rather put the backhoe on than any of my other implements.
    Once you get a quick hitch you will wonder why you waited. Once you get past the learning curve you can back up to that bush hog and hook it up without leaving the seat other than to connect the pto shaft. Other implements, like grader blade you don’t even leave the seat. The magic is getting blocks to drop it off on so you can easily pick it back up later.

I tore my shoulder up trying to put the bush hog on, went straight to HF and never looked back, so to speak. LOL

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Once you get a quick hitch you will wonder why you waited. Once you get past the learning curve you can back up to that bush hog and hook it up without leaving the seat other than to connect the pto shaft. Other implements, like grader blade you don’t even leave the seat. The magic is getting blocks to drop it off on so you can easily pick it back up later.

I tore my shoulder up trying to put the bush hog on, went straight to HF and never looked back, so to speak. LOL
    A quick hitch is definitely a great thing to have.

Mas86

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2018
    Noblesville
    Very similarly to that video, chains and the 3 pt on my tractor to get them moving, I may end up pulling them out with the loader so I can get them all of the way out of the hole.

I was thinking of getting some gravel and filling the holes a few inches shy of the surface and topping with top soil unless there is a better way? Can't leave them open for the horses to step in.
    If the old posts were set in concrete you can break the old concrete off and fill the holes with that or like you said use gravel, you can get #53's for a decent price its usually $17 per ton + a $350 trip charge and that will most likely get you around 30 holes worth

BIGE7.62

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 98.5%
    65   1   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    The Hills of Brown
    Use an old tire/rim or just rim to pull the post . Rim works better , chain tends to fall off the tire/rim combo , So it can take 2 people .
    Place it next to the post ,put a chain around the post at ground level run it over the tire/rim hook it to the tractor and pull forward. Might need to rehook once or twice. Use dirt to fill the holes ,just tamp it in with 2"/3" lifts . A wooden wheelbarrow handle work great for a tamp .
    jm2c

Last edited:

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    Just my 2 cents;
    Get a pair of the pliers as well, the puller thing is not 100% in my experience, and if they pull easily the pliers are less cumbersome to use.

The limiting factor on your tractor loader will be the hydraulics, not weight on the back end. The easiest way is to have a chain with a grab hook on one end and a slip hook on the other, the slip hook acts as a lasso and tightens. Two people can make this go very fast.
    If the hydraulics are the limiting factor or you have a tough post, you can run the chain behind to bucket instead of over the front, increasing mechanical leverage.
    I predict doing it this spring you will have no problems, wait until august it will be tougher.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Just my 2 cents;
    Get a pair of the pliers as well, the puller thing is not 100% in my experience, and if they pull easily the pliers are less cumbersome to use.

The limiting factor on your tractor loader will be the hydraulics, not weight on the back end. The easiest way is to have a chain with a grab hook on one end and a slip hook on the other, the slip hook acts as a lasso and tightens. Two people can make this go very fast.
    If the hydraulics are the limiting factor or you have a tough post, you can run the chain behind to bucket instead of over the front, increasing mechanical leverage.
    I predict doing it this spring you will have no problems, wait until august it will be tougher.
    I'm actually planning to use the 3 point lift arms on the back of the tractor to either pull them completely or get them started before flipping around and pulling them all the way out with the loader. It's pretty soft ground most of the time so I don't think I'll have much trouble, most of the posts are 4"-5" in diameter so it should be too difficulty (famous last words).

I've got a pair of the pliers, somewhere....

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    you can run the chain behind to bucket instead of over the front, increasing mechanical leverage.
    I always run the chain on the cross support between the arms, the buckets on this level of equipment are not strong enough, and by chaining closer to the tractor you get more leverage to pull before you run out of hydraulic power. Only caution is be careful to keep the chain off the tractor hood…

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    I'm actually planning to use the 3 point lift arms on the back of the tractor to either pull them completely or get them started before flipping around and pulling them all the way out with the loader. It's pretty soft ground most of the time so I don't think I'll have much trouble, most of the posts are 4"-5" in diameter so it should be too difficulty (famous last words).

I've got a pair of the pliers, somewhere....
    Yep, I read that, it’s just that the loader is so much faster to hook up and pull with, if it works.
    Did you ever get the drain tile and holes figured out from a few years ago?

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    I always run the chain on the cross support between the arms, the buckets on this level of equipment are not strong enough, and by chaining closer to the tractor you get more leverage to pull before you run out of hydraulic power. Only caution is be careful to keep the chain off the tractor hood…
    I generally take the bucket off and wrap the chain around this area. Puts all the pressure on one side, but always seemed sturdier than the support bar.
    1645547388464.png

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I generally take the bucket off and wrap the chain around this area. Puts all the pressure on one side, but always seemed sturdier than the support bar.
    View attachment 183317
    In your picture you can see the pipe that actually goes through the side arm and is welded on both sides, that is what I put my chain on centered so as not to bend or break the arms. While the hydraulic system should be sized to not bend the arms if off center I fear it could. I never bent my support bar, on the JD, and I used it a lot and maxed out the system frequently trying to lift logs off the ground to cut them for firewood.

olhorseman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    Middle of nowhere NC
    I took out fencing around 15 acres back in Indiana. Use your loader to nudge a post to break suction. Then wrap a chain around the base so it tightens under pressure and attach the other end to the loader and lift straight up. The job goes real fast with two people. My wife and did the 15 acres in less than a day.
    If you aren't using your manure, use it to fill in the holes but definitely fill them if there is any chance of you or your horses stepping in them. If a horse can get into trouble it will.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Yep, I read that, it’s just that the loader is so much faster to hook up and pull with, if it works.
    Did you ever get the drain tile and holes figured out from a few years ago?
    No, they're still there but don't seem to be getting worse. They're covered for now so the horses won't step into them.

Top Bottom