• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 92ThoStro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    I want to buy a bunch for the outdoor rock garden. Walmart and home depot only have indoor cacti, jade, and aloe.

Where can I buy some eastern prickly pear plants? Not wanting to Start from seeds. Amazon only had seeds it looked like.

I live in Hamilton County.

Also open to other suggestions. I prefer succulents, and they have to be able to grow in our hardiness zone because I don't want to mess with boxing them in the winter.

Thanks!

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Not sure where you can pick them up. Might try calling the Purdue Extension office. They might have a suggestion for you. You're likely gonna want to grow them in pots, tho. They can spread like weeds and are really hard to control. We had them in Israel and they were a bear to deal with. Nice to eat, but a pain to keep in check.

92ThoStro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    Thanks, I know they are native here but can't seem to find them in stores. I will check with Purdue. I will be keeping them in a rock garden that is lined. They can grow everywhere they want in the garden. Anything growing in the yard will be mowed down.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    I don't know the answer to the question, but I have eaten those. They have to be plucked then skinned. The inside is sort of like cucumbers...... If cucumbers were dangerous to harvest, had very little flavor and were kind of fibrous when trying to eat the large ones.

92ThoStro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    Lol glad to know if SHTF I will have another source of food. I plan on having a whole bunch of them. Hopefully I remember to call Purdue tomorrow. I hate cukes, I bet the cacti taste okay fried though.

Top Bottom