• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Another one with me in it that my brother had. If you can get past that sweet, sweet mullet there is a cougar in the picture.

UxdNOD7h.jpg

Nice mullet...Nice to see we not only share similar taste in bourbons but hair styles as well......Ah the 80's....:)

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Hey, women make great wives until they divorce you and take all your ****. Airplanes makes great modes of transportation until they crash and kill everyone aboard. Milk tastes great until it spoils and you puke all over the kitchen floor. Guns make for a great hobby until a bad reload blows one up and takes off a few fingers.

Can't disagree.

Cpt Caveman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   1
    Feb 5, 2009
    Brown County
    The southern half of Indiana already has a breeding population of Cougars. Five years ago I saw tracks of one and two smaller sets near a buck that had been killed. The bucks neck was broken and had two puncture wounds on each side of his neck up under his chin. Wasn't fifty yards from my buddy's house. His place backed up to HNF.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    The southern half of Indiana already has a breeding population of Cougars. Five years ago I saw tracks of one and two smaller sets near a buck that had been killed. The bucks neck was broken and had two puncture wounds on each side of his neck up under his chin. Wasn't fifty yards from my buddy's house. His place backed up to HNF.

From Perry county....Wife spotted it the field across from our little farm house...I posted a thread about it.....

rimg.php

rimg.php

rimg.php

She was on the porch at the white house when she saw it.....

rimg.php

Came out of the woods here.....

rimg.php

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...morning-perry-county.html?436212=#post7076502

vwarren

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 2, 2011
    greenfield
    They also had this little gem buried at the the bottom:

[FONT=&amp]Although historically classified as a distinct sub-species, recent evidence suggests the Eastern puma may have been the genetic equal of other U.S. puma or cougar populations, said Michael Robinson of the Center for Biological Diversity, an advocacy group. The Fish and Wildlife Service said further analysis is needed to determine whether that's true.

[/FONT]
    Apparently they are both sure enough to determine that all recent cougar encounters in the east are from pets or western cougars and not sure enough to say for sure there is a difference between eastern and western cougars. :rolleyes: That sure sounds like Feds for you.

guess we will just wait for the memo
    LOL!!!

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Isn't a Puma just a cougar and a mountain lion?
    Do they get different names depending on where in the country they live? What, do the eastern ones have a Jersey accent? I lived in a few mountain areas in CA and there are plenty of mountain lions to spare. They were not shy at all. Never left the house unarmed, even just for a moment. Plenty of bobcats too but they were more skittish.

AtTheMurph

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    Do they get different names depending on where in the country they live? What, do the eastern ones have a Jersey accent? I lived in a few mountain areas in CA and there are plenty of mountain lions to spare. They were not shy at all. Never left the house unarmed, even just for a moment. Plenty of bobcats too but they were more skittish.

Different names for the same animal.

My wife saw one in Brownsburg about 10 years ago or so. I went out and found the tracks coming into my neighborhood. There had been a horse attacked in Fayette a few days before so I figured one was about. Really sad I didn't see it too them's the breaks.

There have been no confirmed breeding pumas east of the mississippi except for the Florida Panther. all the known animals have been males from the Black Hills area of SD. The young males leave the territory (or get forced out) and travel looking for a sweet little honey.

One that was spotted in Wisconsin ( a male from SD) ended up being killed by a car in Connecticut. That is a long walk!

yetti462

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 18, 2016
    Unglaciated heaven
    My crazy a$$ cousin claims a mountain lion crosses her horse pasture on a regular basis, no pictures of course. She also sees black Panthers at Shirley creek horse camp and red wolves up at hickory grove.

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    I'm still waiting for pictures from my brother's friend. He has several acres in Owen county, and my brother saw apparently very clear pictures from his trail cam of 2 separate cougars. One my brother swears is a pregnant female. Also several pictures of bobcats, so they can tell the difference.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    I saw a cougar in a freshly planted field near a tree line 50 yards off Hwy 30 in Porter county this morning. Full view of it hunting something. There were a lot of turkeys out in adjacent fields..... No doubt what it was. About 100 lbs.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Technically, they're all the same species, but different subspecies. Well, it seems many would even say the same subspecies - Puma concolor couguar.

Think of them more as different breeds as you would with livestock.

IANAB.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    I read that was no way to genetically distinguish the "Eastern puma" from it's Western cougar cousins. Even with dogs you can distinguish breeds through genetics. The Western cousins are thriving and still mauling hikers, golfers, and bikers when they feel the need. Media sensationalism and wildlife charities are capitalizing on being able to say something went extinct. Pulling heartstrings and loosening purse strings.

nwihiker

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2018
    Lake County
    I saw a cougar in a freshly planted field near a tree line 50 yards off Hwy 30 in Porter county this morning. Full view of it hunting something. There were a lot of turkeys out in adjacent fields..... No doubt what it was. About 100 lbs.
    Surprised it kept going further east than Chicago. Plenty of fresh meat out that way.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    My crazy a$$ cousin claims a mountain lion crosses her horse pasture on a regular basis, no pictures of course. She also sees black Panthers at Shirley creek horse camp and red wolves up at hickory grove.

I live close to Shirley creek, here's the panther.

Hkindiana

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 19, 2010
    Southern Hills
    The latest Cougar attack in Washington involved a couple of COWARD snowflakes, both willing to leave their companions to die while saving themselves. It appears that they initially used their bikes to fend off the emaciated animal, so far so good. Then they got on their bikes and sped away - bad idea to run. The animal attacked one biker and his "friend" went running off into the woods to save himself, so the animal dropped the first biker and took off after the moving target. The biker thst was released, instead of coming to the aid of the other biker, jumped on his bike and sped away. He returned quite a while later with authorities to find his dead companion. If the two had WORKED TOGETHER as they initially did, and used their bikes as shields, they should have easily been able to discourage the one hundred pound animal.

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    The latest Cougar attack in Washington involved a couple of COWARD snowflakes, both willing to leave their companions to die while saving themselves. It appears that they initially used their bikes to fend off the emaciated animal, so far so good. Then they got on their bikes and sped away - bad idea to run. The animal attacked one biker and his "friend" went running off into the woods to save himself, so the animal dropped the first biker and took off after the moving target. The biker thst was released, instead of coming to the aid of the other biker, jumped on his bike and sped away. He returned quite a while later with authorities to find his dead companion. If the two had WORKED TOGETHER as they initially did, and used their bikes as shields, they should have easily been able to discourage the one hundred pound animal.

Once friend A ran away, leaving friend B to fend for himself, I can’t blame friend B for returning the favor when the cougar pursued friend A. Had friend A stayed to help in the first place I would have a different opinion. Brings back my dads advice... choose your friends wisely

Top Bottom