• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Thanks for your input. It helps the average Joe to hear of a possibility or rationale not being discussed with regard to policing events. Now, this next statement isn't directed at you personally, but from your above post, my first thought was, No ****, Sherlock. Putting out facts in situations of good shoots, facts that can be easily obtained and demonstrated and favor law enforcement, probably shouldn't be held up for months. I'm not sure how much these consultants are paid, but this was easy money for him/her. Again, my sarcasm isn't directed at you personally. And before anyone jumps in with 'sometimes facts aren't known', 'sometimes facts cannot be released because there is an ongoing investigation.' etc. I get it. There will be exceptions.

It is in a way, but you're looking at it without thinking about the back end. There's a reason it's such a culture shift from "it's an ongoing investigation and we can't say anything until all facts are known" to "let's go with what we know/think we know *right now* and get ahead of the misinformation." It's not quite as cut and dry as you may think. Example:

Remember what happens when something you put out turns out to be incorrect. Then the allegation is cover up, conspiracy, or worse. Remember Sandy Hook and all the ******** that circled around that because some initial information was incorrect due to the initial confusion? Avoiding that sort of thing took priority over reducing public outcry.

Then there's the question of what info can you release and when. If you still have witnesses to talk to who you may want to identify a suspect you can't put pictures out. You can't put a picture of the gun out in public domain if you want to be sure the person who says they saw the gun really saw it vs saw an article about it. Putting out information to soon can taint an investigation, depending on what that information is.

There's more to it than that as well. You know how cops and soldiers have their own language. Having a cop do a press release may result in jargon that isn't really understood by readers, plus sometimes any expert in any given field assumes an audience has some base knowledge they don't actually have. Imagine your techiest friend writing an article on some new computer gizmo and then your grammy reading it. Does your friend have a good grasp on what she knows/doesn't know already and what can be assumed?

I'm entwined in this pretty regularly and have found the non-cop input useful.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Speaking in broad generalities, and not this specific case because there is 100% info that's wrong or missing here.
    I totally understand that... And I totally understand that I'm ignorant of a LOT.

And in my ignorance, and looking in hindsight at what *did* happen, I really can't help but wonder if it was "worth it" to chase a guy for mere trespassing. Also understanding that *I* don't know if it was just mere trespassing because I ain't an East district copper that has had multiple run-ins with the dearly departed.

In this, though, I think we can all have good discussion. Even if in general terms.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    I totally understand that... And I totally understand that I'm ignorant of a LOT.

And in my ignorance, and looking in hindsight at what *did* happen, I really can't help but wonder if it was "worth it" to chase a guy for mere trespassing. Also understanding that *I* don't know if it was just mere trespassing because I ain't an East district copper that has had multiple run-ins with the dearly departed.

In this, though, I think we can all have good discussion. Even if in general terms.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan

It wasn't a chase in the conventional sense. He was stopped for trespassing. Officers knew who he was, he has a history, and he ran from them. They DID NOT engage in a foot chase since they knew who he was. There was some down time between when he ran and when they found him. They just drove around and kept an eye out for him. They found him in the BK, employees directed the officers to him. He was trying to get into the locked bathrooms. They officers did not get into a foot chase or even get all excited on the radio. I'm not sure how much more "low key" these officers could have been in dealing with the guy short of ignoring any crime he was committing in the first place.

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    It wasn't a chase in the conventional sense. He was stopped for trespassing. Officers knew who he was, he has a history, and he ran from them. They DID NOT engage in a foot chase since they knew who he was. There was some down time between when he ran and when they found him. They just drove around and kept an eye out for him. They found him in the BK, employees directed the officers to him. He was trying to get into the locked bathrooms. They officers did not get into a foot chase or even get all excited on the radio. I'm not sure how much more "low key" these officers could have been in dealing with the guy short of ignoring any crime he was committing in the first place.
    Mopes are going to mope.. and if your not going to buy anything at BK, you can't HAVE IT YOUR WAY...

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2021
    central indiana
    At the end of the day, this guy stole a gun and attempted to murder another human. This sort of behavior has repercussions. Had this fool attempted to steal a gun from PimpDaddyMaximus anywhere along 38th street, he likely ends up just as dead. Deadly agression begets deadly response. With the known details, I'm not sure why this story became a 'thing'.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    At the end of the day, this guy stole a gun and attempted to murder another human. This sort of behavior has repercussions. Had this fool attempted to steal a gun from PimpDaddyMaximus anywhere along 38th street, he likely ends up just as dead. Deadly agression begets deadly response. With the known details, I'm not sure why this story became a 'thing'.
    Yep. The minute he laid hands on that service weapon, he got what he deserved.

He played stupid games.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    No idea either, but my armchair Archie Bunker assumption is it had to do with the skin color of the suspect.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2021
    central indiana
    My biggest curiosity is what was the copper's BUG? And where/how was it carried? If my understanding is correct (big IF), the agency determines what size/type/caliber of BUG is allowed, if the officer must pass qualifications with it, etc.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    My biggest curiosity is what was the copper's BUG? And where/how was it carried? If my understanding is correct (big IF), the agency determines what size/type/caliber of BUG is allowed, if the officer must pass qualifications with it, etc.
    I won't go into detail regarding where he keeps his back-up other than to say that it is accessible by his support hand. Meaning, he can draw and fire it from him non-gun hand. I carry mine the same way. I will say he carries a .38 S&W 642 as do I as well. The agency only tells us it has to be a DAO/DA-SA (No SAO allowed) and between .380-.45. That's it. We do have to qualify with them.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2021
    central indiana
    I won't go into detail regarding where he keeps his back-up other than to say that it is accessible by his support hand. Meaning, he can draw and fire it from him non-gun hand. I carry mine the same way. I will say he carries a .38 S&W 642 as do I as well. The agency only tells us it has to be a DAO/DA-SA (No SAO allowed) and between .380-.45. That's it. We do have to qualify with them.
    Thanks for your reply, truly. It seems nice the department allows such leeway in the choice of BUG. Damn good thing he had his.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Broseph - thank you for the insight. This helps answer some of my questions. I appreciate it - and the work y'all do.

Top Bottom