• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    My brother was looking into buying a fast food franchise. I'm sure he thought the only work required would be to drive a semi to it every Friday to haul off the till.

rnungester

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Plainfield, IN
    Get into buying/selling guns/knives/gold/silver. It's a way to flip for extra cash and put some away for a retirement plan. I have been doing it for about 2 years and I love it. You buy at bottom dollar and sell for a little more then what you bought it for. The extra money buy back in, and/or resell the item or put it away and sell it when you retire.

revsaxon

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plano, TX
    I suggest IT. Sure, I work 80 hours a week, have over 600 hours of comp time I can't use, and have massive health issues from all the stress but...

Wait, don't go into IT. I hear good things about being the person holding the sign on the side of the road for construction projects.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I suggest IT. Sure, I work 80 hours a week, have over 600 hours of comp time I can't use, and have massive health issues from all the stress but...

Wait, don't go into IT. I hear good things about being the person holding the sign on the side of the road for construction projects.

But haven't you seen the commercials? Anyone can take one or two IT classes and in six short months get a job making $60k, $70k, or MORE!

:rolleyes:

revsaxon

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plano, TX
    But haven't you seen the commercials? Anyone can take one or two IT classes and in six short months get a job making $60k, $70k, or MORE!

I love those commercials. They always make me feel retarded for getting a 4 year degree, and spending another 3 getting various certifications (Not your generic ones either, but stuff like CCNP, RHEL Certified Admin, Solaris Certified Admin etc). If only I had known I could get the same jobs with a 6 week training class!

longbow

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    south central IN
    IT?

Someone at a customer of mine did a very bad thing. They upgraded the security program at noon today. They did such a great job, NO ONE can access any systems.....................................

revsaxon

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plano, TX
    IT?

Someone at a customer of mine did a very bad thing. They upgraded the security program at noon today. They did such a great job, NO ONE can access any systems.....................................

That sounds perfect. The job is perfect without those damn users...

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I love those commercials. They always make me feel retarded for getting a 4 year degree, and spending another 3 getting various certifications (Not your generic ones either, but stuff like CCNP, RHEL Certified Admin, Solaris Certified Admin etc). If only I had known I could get the same jobs with a 6 week training class!

No kidding. Forget that you have to spend as much time staying current as any medical doctor. Oh, and unlike a doctor, you have to stay current in everything even remotely related to your field, not just one narrow specialty.

Favorite: Degreed engineer who spends all day working on AutoCAD calls IT because he needs to know how to do $FOO in his AutoCAD application. So...you want me to spend a week trying to learn how to do one tiny part of your job, then learn how to do it in that application, and then teach you how to do it, because you (the alleged expert in that app) can't figure out how to open the "Help" file or how to spell "google.com"? :scratch:

Best conversation with a design engineer ever:
    Designer (pointing to object on ground next to his PC that I was working on) "What's that?"
    Me: "That's called a 'screw'. Aren't you an engineer? Shouldn't you know that?"

Guess I should have told him it was a helical inclined plane.

revsaxon

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plano, TX
    No kidding. Forget that you have to spend as much time staying current as any medical doctor. Oh, and unlike a doctor, you have to stay current in everything even remotely related to your field, not just one narrow specialty.

Favorite: Degreed engineer who spends all day working on AutoCAD calls IT because he needs to know how to do $FOO in his AutoCAD application. So...you want me to spend a week trying to learn how to do one tiny part of your job, then learn how to do it in that application, and then teach you how to do it, because you (the alleged expert in that app) can't figure out how to open the "Help" file or how to spell "google.com"? :scratch:

Best conversation with a design engineer ever:
    Designer (pointing to object on ground next to his PC that I was working on) "What's that?"
    Me: "That's called a 'screw'. Aren't you an engineer? Shouldn't you know that?"

Guess I should have told him it was a helical inclined plane.

Ive had calls like that... and for some reason they find that request completely reasonable. They can't spend 5 mins in google, because they are, and I quote "too busy slamming out some killer code to do my job for me." :xmad:

The design engineer one is good though, Ill have to remember that :rockwoot:

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Ive had calls like that... and for some reason they find that request completely reasonable. They can't spend 5 mins in google, because they are, and I quote "too busy slamming out some killer code to do my job for me." :xmad:

I always find their network port mysteriously policed down to 24kb right after that and all their web traffic redirected to mylittlepony.com. It's odd.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008

If it makes you feel any better, I took some free to me crappy Ivy Tech classes 3 days a week for 3 months. 6 years later, I've made over $54k in about 2100 hours year to date. Should break $70k for the year.

Top Bottom