• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Khazik

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Hello, not sure if too many people here do running to keep up in physical shape, but I thought I'd share something that everyone can benefit from: proper running form.

Most people (myself a few years ago, even in the Marines) never liked running and probably still dont, because it's painful, or cumbersome, or just plain tiresome. All those qualities exist if you're doing it wrong... How can you be running wrong? By running against the biomechanical nature of the human body: impacting on your heel rather your forefoot. I call it "heel-stomping your way to freedom".

My own personal experience includes adopting the forefoot form after my stint in the corps, when I was living in Chicago. It included lots of time and thought, and some TMTS injuries (Too Much Too Soon) which led to achilles tendon issues and partial calcaneous ruptures. It also included a lot of perks, like a night-day difference in terms of balance and coordination.

After running with proper form for the past few years, I couldn't imagine running as I used to, and believe I'd have been a far better running in the Marines than I was (proper form isn't addressed nor considered in the Military, rather "just do it"). After some thought as well, I realized I was the best runner out of all my friends as a kid on the playground, and didn't really think anything of running, it's just "what you do".

From personal experience, I can strongly advise you ease into it, or 'transition' into it. Stretch out your calves (you should feel the stretch in your muscle not your tendon) as this muscle has become shorter than needed for proper form. Plantar fasciitis usually disappears after strengthening the control muscles in the feet. Also, there are no shin splints or knee/hip/back pains associated with proper form as there is FAR less impact on your body than impacting on the heel.

Christopher McDougal is right, "just take off your shoes", but with the advisement above: transition into it because your muscles and tendons are shorter and weaker than they should be.

Here's some videos I'd like to share with people to maybe get them thinking about running-maybe get back into it-but doing so properly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2JWUhW5yRdI

The proper impact in slow motion -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzjDIAKUZ9Q

Just sharing something I think might be helpful. *Edit* The book (Born to Run) is also a great real-life adventure read.
    watch

Last edited:

tfouty

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 14, 2011
    West Central Indiana
    Very informative, my new years resolution is again to lose weight and get in shape. I have been running on a trail mill in the basement. Never gave much thought to good form, thought running was running. Thanks for the post.

Hosted

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 26, 2011
    Albion
    Good info! I never gave running a thought when I was younger. A few years ago when I was in my middle twenties I decided to try to get in better shape and started running. Luckily for me I was kind of a natural at it. I'm not very fast or dedicated, but it is one of my favorite ways to get away from life. I hate running on roads, but I love getting out into nature running trails and seeing how hard I can push myself.

Khazik

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Very informative, my new years resolution is again to lose weight and get in shape. I have been running on a trail mill in the basement. Never gave much thought to good form, thought running was running. Thanks for the post.
    Glad to hear the resolution, proper form does make running easier (it's all about efficiency), however (I personally think) tread mills with 'flex' in them offer only more stress on the muscles doing their job but dont know what the running experts have to say on this. I have one in the basement, but because it's sooo boring for me to run on one, I find a 2 mile run vastly more difficult and tiring than getting outside for a 4 mile.

Good info! I never gave running a thought when I was younger. A few years ago when I was in my middle twenties I decided to try to get in better shape and started running. Luckily for me I was kind of a natural at it. I'm not very fast or dedicated, but it is one of my favorite ways to get away from life. I hate running on roads, but I love getting out into nature running trails and seeing how hard I can push myself.
    Ya I'm not too fond of roads or paved trails, I greatly prefer the trails of fox island or some other park over anything else. IMO theres nothing better than a long trail run.

Glad to see yall liked the post.

captpaul

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 9, 2008
    Indy
    When the book "Born to Run" came out barefoot running exploded, leading to may injured runners. The new (old) concept did not take into consideration that soft surfaces =/= modern paved routes. Bounce a golf ball on asphalt and grass to compare. Nonetheless, every event I do I see people barefoot or in VFF's. Even though running moderate distances on soft ground (grass or trails) may be suitable for barefoot, I can't see putting in 50+ mile weeks barefoot on pavement.

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    When the book "Born to Run" came out barefoot running exploded, leading to may injured runners. The new (old) concept did not take into consideration that soft surfaces =/= modern paved routes. Bounce a golf ball on asphalt and grass to compare. Nonetheless, every event I do I see people barefoot or in VFF's. Even though running moderate distances on soft ground (grass or trails) may be suitable for barefoot, I can't see putting in 50+ mile weeks barefoot on pavement.

Good form is essential but I would never run barefoot. As it is the best shoes I have found so far that work for me are Brooks and I run next to the trail (Monon) on the shoulder to ease the impact even more. I can tell the difference even though running on the asphalt makes me a bit quicker. I refuse to run on concrete (getting old) and know of some people that have damaged hips and knees running on concrete.

I might have run barefoot when I was twenty, but the damage adds up over the years.

Clay319

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 5, 2012
    Boone County
    Any running you can do is great. I'll give the new technique a try next time I'm out. It may be hard to do this time of year as the cold weather doesn't do much for flexibility.

Top Bottom