• ...and so much more!
  • dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    This is the problem. They have women treating these patients. We all know women will not cancel vacations for anything. If we had male nurses treating the Ebola patients the first sign of sniffles and they would go under self quarantine and watch sports for 3 weeks.

That's one strategy. Issue beer, diapers, and a remote to all exposed males.

In all seriousness, maybe the vomiting was just vomiting. Plenty of people are nauseous after a flight and don't expect it to be a big ordeal. My 13 yr old daughter has vomited after car or plane travel more times than I can count. She also gets nosebleeds if just bumped. I better be careful where I take her or they'll be throwing her in isolation....

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    How can Nigeria be ebola-free per WHO 42 day guidelines?

Air France 1300 that flew from Lagos Nigeria would disagree about Nigeria being ebola free I think(yesterday).

I think the assumption is that that person did not have ebola.
    WHO set to declare Nigeria and Senegal Ebola-free zones  | Daily Mail Online
    Nigeria will also be declared Ebola-free so long as no new cases are detected before next Monday October 20.

I dismiss "suspected" cases based on the boy-who-cried-wolf theory. Of course, I had that same attitude before Dallas, too.

Anyway, until confirmed, I ignore them.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    I think the assumption is that that person did not have ebola.
    WHO set to declare Nigeria and Senegal Ebola-free zones* | Daily Mail Online

I dismiss "suspected" cases based on the boy-who-cried-wolf theory. Of course, I had that same attitude before Dallas, too.

Anyway, until confirmed, I ignore them.

Our military(and the Dallas hospital for that matter)have the ability to test and confirm for cases of Ebola in just minutes not hours or days.
    Dallas hospital that treated Ebola patients had machine that detects disease in minutes | Daily Mail Online
    Dallas Hospital Had the Ebola Screening Machine That the Military Is Using in Africa - Defense One

harrna02

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 1, 2014
    columbia city
    If Ebola proves to be Zoonotic will all importation of animals be banned? Suppose fleas or bed bugs or even mosquitoes can spread it.
    I was told, but am not sure I beleive it, that dogs can spread this virus. Does anyone know if there is any truth to that. You are right Renauldo, How serious can the spread of ebola get if it turns out that it can be spread by animals! This is a terrible thought. CAn anyone confim that this is a possibility?

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I was told, but am not sure I beleive it, that dogs can spread this virus. Does anyone know if there is any truth to that. You are right Renauldo, How serious can the spread of ebola get if it turns out that it can be spread by animals! This is a terrible thought. CAn anyone confim that this is a possibility?
    Yes, dogs apparently can. There was an article linked about it in one of these Ebola threads.

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    Dogs in infected areas in Africa have been found to have ANTIBODIES to the virus, not symptoms. There is no evidence that they can get symptoms or spread the virus.

The dogs with antibodies very likely ate bodies of infected animals such as bats and porcupines.

The dog that belongs to the Ebola-infected nurse (in Texas) is under quarantine at Texas A&M, doing well, and will have multiple blood tests to see if he was exposed.

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States

That article is a bit alarmist.

I posted an article from a veterinary source a few days ago but I don't have time to find it at the moment.

The fact is there have been no reports of dogs or cats becoming sick with Ebola or of being able to spread Ebola to people or other animals. Even in areas in Africa where Ebola is present, there have been no reports of dogs and cats becoming sick with Ebola. There is limited evidence that dogs become infected with Ebola virus, but there is no evidence that they develop disease.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    That article is a bit alarmist.

I posted an article from a veterinary source a few days ago but I don't have time to find it at the moment.

The fact is there have been no reports of dogs or cats becoming sick with Ebola or of being able to spread Ebola to people or other animals. Even in areas in Africa where Ebola is present, there have been no reports of dogs and cats becoming sick with Ebola. There is limited evidence that dogs become infected with Ebola virus, but there is no evidence that they develop disease.
    I don't think anyone has said that dogs would develop the disease. The question is, could they carry it.

Here is an article from NPR.
    We Don't Know A Lot About Dogs And Ebola ? But We Should : Goats and Soda : NPR

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    I don't think anyone has said that dogs would develop the disease. The question is, could they carry it.

Here is an article from NPR.
    We Don't Know A Lot About Dogs And Ebola ? But We Should : Goats and Soda : NPR

Oh good, another reporter interpreting and selecting quotes from a medical professional. This is, BTW, why it was a big mistake to appoint a non-medical person as Ebola czar, but I digress.
    It's true that there isn't an Ebola test specifically "for dogs" but the viral PCR test should detect the virus in any species. A few control samples would determine if there is any reason that the test wouldn't work in dogs.

If the virus doesn't replicate and reproduce in a host, they can't produce more virus to shed and infect others.

The fact the dogs produce antibodies but have never shown illness makes it most likely that they aren't replicating the virus. In the study that found antibodies in dogs, they found no virus in the samples they took. It will be prudent to repeat that at some point in time, but the evidence is that they are not capable of spreading disease.

Here is an article from a veterinarian and microbiologist:

Ebola Virus & Dogs: Where Do We Stand?

Yes, we still have to say that "we don't know for sure". But all practical evidence is that the dogs won't be a concern for us.

In the back of my mind of "worst-case scenario" files, I think pigs would be a much bigger problem. They've contracted similar viruses before. A virus would spread quickly through any pig herd, and that would affect us and our food supply at the same time. Ya know, if we want to go into "what can we worry about" things, which is awfully easy to do when I start thinking about Ebola too often. :)

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    You know GP - I very much appreciate your attention to these threads. I make sure to check whenever I see you've posted.

But, I also have to admit, when you post, I click with a sense of dread. Every time, I expect you to be linking to another infection.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    You know GP - I very much appreciate your attention to these threads. I make sure to check whenever I see you've posted.

But, I also have to admit, when you post, I click with a sense of dread. Every time, I expect you to be linking to another infection.

I'll be sure to lead new infections with a "Breaking:" tag :P

Oh, and don't worry everyone, you're in the best of hands... JFK looking to hire new Ebola screeners, $19/hr

Wanted: Ebola screeners at JFK for $19 an hour | New York Post

Top Bottom