• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I know my company is feeling it. There is a ton of manufacturing down here in Dubois county, and all the factories are scrambling to steal workers from all the other factories. People are job hopping to get a few more pennies on the hour.

I expect to see press gangs looking to shanghai upholsterers around there soon.:)

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Not making predictions, not never-Trumping, not trying to be Debbie downer, things have been great, but...

I work for a company that builds tooling for the automotive industry. Stuff to make the cars that are a year or two away from actually being built.

Our workload and quoting activity is dropping like Wile E. Coyote off a cliff, holding an anvil.

That happens sometimes. Just a minor blip and we pick right back up. This one has gone on too long for a blip.

When downturns happen, we usually feel it months before everybody else does.

I hope this isn't one of those. Or that it can at least hold off until the end of November.:rolleyes:

Again, this is not professional prognostication, just IMHO, YMMV.

I work for an automotive plant and for us anyway, car related parts have slowed down considerably. The truck stuff has slackened some -- we're only having to work 6 days per week instead of 7 to make schedules. But then again, we're ramping up parts for the new GM trucks so that is starting to take up some of that slack, kind of. They've been pointing to a down turn this year since last year. However as each month goes by, they show the schedules creeping up each month, so maybe, hopefully, they were just being pessimistic.

IndyTom

Expert
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Oct 3, 2013
    Fishers
    Post mega-merger and divestiture of some units, we just had a RIF within IT to rebalance things, but that was mostly because the other side of the merger was running heavy and our side was already lean. Together, it was okay. Then the divestiture activities started and overall revenue was decreased causing the change in manpower within IT to reflect the change in revenue.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Last edited:

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Has been happening here for the last several months. Compensation is up, but we are trying to control costs. So, we are running "lean" and trying to maintain quality. There isn't an idle hand (well, other than mine, posting on INGO. Shhhhh.....). My team continues to take on more work, and find efficiencies wherever possible. My "cost per unit" is 1/3 of only a few years ago, and my productivity (number of units) is up by a factor of 6.

But, business overall is good. Revenue is up. Margins are actually improving. Costs have been flat (thanks to reduced headcount).

Where I am, compensation is stagnant and they keep reducing the number of full time employees. I'm not privy to revenues or bottom line realities, but that has me concerned.

AmmoManAaron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Feb 20, 2015
    I-get-around
    Anyone work where the opposite is happening (e.g. more people getting laid off and their former duties being shifted to the few who remain)?

I'm hearing that is happening at the EPA and has been for about two years now...but I view that as a good thing for the taxpayers and the regulated community.

Dr.Midnight

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Monroe County
    At my work we're having trouble getting halfway decent employees at over $17 an hour

I was driving South on 37 yesterday and saw Fiber Tech had a billboard offering up to $16.25 per hour for new employees. I can't remember the exact details, but I saw another billboard somewhere with a company offering $17 per hour.

I do a lot of traveling through South Central and Southern Indiana. I've never in my life seen so many signs outside businesses saying open interviews, accepting applications, now hiring, positions available, etc.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I'm hearing that is happening at the EPA and has been for about two years now...but I view that as a good thing for the taxpayers and the regulated community.

Yeah, US EPA is a tumor, not a business, so it's not an organization that would directly benefit from lower corporate tax rates and lower income taxes.

Don't get me started on US EPA. I know US EPA. Ugh.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I was driving South on 37 yesterday and saw Fiber Tech had a billboard offering up to $16.25 per hour for new employees. I can't remember the exact details, but I saw another billboard somewhere with a company offering $17 per hour.

I do a lot of traveling through South Central and Southern Indiana. I've never in my life seen so many signs outside businesses saying open interviews, accepting applications, now hiring, positions available, etc.

When I was job hunting a few years ago and took the $11.10 temp job scoring tests, I would have been ecstatic to have an opportunity to make $16.25 or $17 per hour. I'm still amazed, though, and the people who sneered at $11.10 per hour with a bachelor's degree required as if it were not worthy anyone's time, especially since it was so tough to find jobs then. To me, $11.10 was $11.10 per hour more than I was making.

Top Bottom