• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ruffnek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    I've carried a Mini Maglite for a long time now.Here lately though,I've caught myself turning to the LED on my phone when I find myself in the dark because the Maglite just doesn't seem to be bright enough.I've been thinking of getting a new light for EDC but I don't know where to turn.I'd like one that is brighter than my current light and maybe one with a pocket clip since I'm tired of having it on my belt.I can't go out and drop $150 on a high dollar light because of tight finances.It would have to be no more than $30-$40 because I couldn't justify much more to my accountant(read:wife) for a flashlight.Any suggestions?

copperhead-1911

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 19, 2013
    New Castle
    I think a gun, flashlight, and knife are essential to everyday carry when able to according to the law ( no guns in post office for example)

I carry a ultrafire light. It takes one of those crv? rechargeable batteries. It has a self defense bezel around the light part. It is bright enough to temporarily blind someone and has a mode that will flash if you need to signal someone. I think i paid like $15 or so for it with the holster I have.

Small's

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    south of Indy
    I carry a klarus xt1a. Its a 1aa 150lumen on high, 30? On med and 4 on low. Plus a strobe. I like it because its very easy to use and always comes on in high first. One handed operation. I really like it and for 99% of what i do the 150lumen is plenty bright. Any brighter an it would be to bright for a in house defense light. The klarus p1a and jetbeam ba10 are both in the $30-40 range. The zebralight sc52 is a animal of a light and its tiny but around $65. I really like using aa lights. I normally use a rechargable but if needed i have alkalines all over the house. If your looking for 2aa the p2a, ba20 xt2a are good lights at decent prices. If i was going to get a 2 cr123 light for edc i would probably look at the klarus xt2c and the fenix pd32ue, both are really good lights. Oh and you can use a single 18650 rechargable battery in those as well. I know all the craze is to have an infinite number of lumens but very rarely do i need more than the 150. And when i do i use a klarus xt11 upgrade.

canav844

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 22, 2011
    Surefire. Make you're budget at least $60 and a solid one can be had. Warning, once to do this you may not go back to anything else, and your wallet may get a light-er. In all fairness my weapon mounted light is a Streamlight, and I've got one on order right now for my AR (along with another surefire because I lost my last one in the woods).

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Good news is we are in the golden age of flashlight technology so you'll have lots of options, even in the $30-40 range.

Given your parameters I would talk to INGO Advertiser theledwarehouse.

The LED Warehouse

Stubz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    May 2, 2011
    Alexandria, IN
    I have this one and love it: Streamlight 88031 ProTac 260 lumens Flashlight
    It takes 2 CR123 though and some people dont like that.
    Here is a 1 CR123 model: Streamlight 88030 ProTac 1L LED 180 lumens Flashlight
    A 1 AA model: Streamlight 88032 ProTac 1AA LED 50 lumens Flashlight
    And a 2 AA model: Streamlight 88033 ProTac AA LED 120 lumens Penlight

Use coupon code "10off" for 10% off and free shipping.

Was about to recommend the Protac 1AA as well. I carried one about 7 months (before I lost it at work >_<) . My only operational issue with it was the tailcap needed fiddled with occasionally because it wouldn't maintain contact with the battery (loosen 1/2 turn then retighten to make it happy). Also occasionally would wish it was brighter but for the price, I was happy with it. I've since ordered the 2AA penlight to replace it, waiting on it to arrive.

BuddieReigns

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2012
    Muncie
    I don't know if yours does, but you can get a mini maglite with the led if you like the maglite other than the brightness: MAGLITE SP2201H 2-AA Cell Mini LED Flashlight with Holster, Black - Amazon.com . I got a few double packs of them at walmart around christmas for $30 and have had no problems with them. They're plenty bright for me. While they don't have the push button on/off, I like how you can use them like a candle as well.

BuddieReigns

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2012
    Muncie
    I just saw the part about wanting a pocket clip, so it still wouldn't have that, but I actually don't want mine in my pocket because I always have too much it seems in there anyway.

LANShark42

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Evansville
    60003900.jpg

ErickW

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 27, 2012
    I'd say Streamlight Protac, I've got both the 1L and 2L versions, they come with belt clip and also a nice little case. Very bright and are within your price range.

Cool Breeze

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 15, 2013
    Fort Fun
    123's are called that because they are One 2/3rds of a AA. they are Lithium, and carry a premium price. They can also be hard to find if you're in a remote place. Relative to alkaline batteries, they are superior, but not worth the price IMO compared to Energizer Ultimate Lithium AA (which are expensive, but well worth the price)

I did a lot of research on flashlight forums before I bought mine (yes, there are guys out there that have a primary hobby of buying flashlights) and a great light, excellent brightness, good throw is:

Amazon.com: Eagletac P100a2: Home Improvement

Sure you can get better, but overall, most guys agreed that is the best for under $125 or so. It runs on two AA's- so readily available, and with Energizer Ultimate Lithiums, it lasts me over a year with moderate use.

Also, in case anyone cares, similar research lead to my purchase of a headlight:

Amazon.com: Princeton Tec EOS LED Headlamp (Orange): Sports & Outdoors

Again, overall, most agreed its the best unless you want one with a separate battery pack (that rides on the back of the headband).

Small's

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    south of Indy
    Some lights that use 2 cr123 batteries will also take the single 18650 rechargeable battery. For instance most fenix like the pd32ue, klarus xt2c and many more. I prefer the sanyo eneloop AA's they can be recharged hundreds of times and a guy can always find AA batteries. I use a notecore i4 intel charger. It charges aaa, aa, 18650, c and a few other rechargable batteries. So it covers both of my lights. The cr123's are a better battery and will produce more light with a more compact light but they are expensive especially if not bought in bulk and they can be hard to find. Check out goinggear.com they have alot of lights, batteries and chargers. What i like about them the most is that they have youtube video's on almost every type of lights they have. Showing how the user interface works and an outside light comparison. I personally prefer simple to use lights that i can operate with one hand. Thats why i like the klarus xt line of lights along with the fenix pd32ue, jetbeam ba lineup an klarus pa series. In your price range i dont think you will find a better light than the jetbeam b and klarus p series. Jetbeam ba10, ba20 for aa lights and bc series for cr123. Same with klarus p1a, p2a. The prices go up from there.

theledwarehouse

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 6, 2011
    Vicksburg, MI
    I've carried a Mini Maglite for a long time now.Here lately though,I've caught myself turning to the LED on my phone when I find myself in the dark because the Maglite just doesn't seem to be bright enough.I've been thinking of getting a new light for EDC but I don't know where to turn.I'd like one that is brighter than my current light and maybe one with a pocket clip since I'm tired of having it on my belt.I can't go out and drop $150 on a high dollar light because of tight finances.It would have to be no more than $30-$40 because I couldn't justify much more to my accountant(read:wife) for a flashlight.Any suggestions?

If you are already used to carrying a minimag and want something that uses AA and is about the same size, I would highly recommend the Fenix E21:

Fenix E21

This is a simple two mode light with a high output of 170 lumens. Its also $35 before INGO discount.

Also, we have a bunch of stuff on clearance. The used and open box stuff is typically lights that folks just sent back, lights we've demo'ed, or lights we've dont simple repairs on, such as putting on a new switch or head.

Clearance

The Streamlight Protac's are alight lights. They tend to lag in LED technology, so if you are looking for highest output, Streamlight isn't it compared to other brands. Also, remember that the protacs are Chinese made, not USA made like other Streamlights. I just don't want you to think you are buying a USA made light. They are good quality lights, I just don't want you to buy it cause you think its USA made. Buy it if you think it best fits your need.

http://www.the-led-warehouse.com/Streamlight-v28/

Last edited:

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I've been using a Fenix E11 and its easily small enough for pocket carry and is surprisingly bright for its size. I plan to do a full review eventually.

Top Bottom