• Do you Switch your carry weapon?

• Total voters

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Right now I go back and forth between a Glock 19 and a 42.

The 19 is technically the primary edc, but honestly the 42 has been seeing much more action lately. It's just too easy to slip into a front pocket, so it's always on me.

Before I got the 42 I was carrying a j-frame in that role, but I didn't shoot it very well. I switched to the Glock platform because I was familiar with it.

I carry the 19 and 42 differently, but shoot them about the same.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    I may be wrong, not being a glock guy, but aren't they all about the same barrel to grip angle.

Would they not be considered the same platform only sometimes different calibers and slightly different size.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Depends on the situation. I can't exactly carry a full size 1911 around in deep concealment.

Full Size 1911 for days when I want to swing my $&@:
    Lightweight Bobtail Commander for days when I don't.
    J frame for days I can't carry a gun
    Glock for fishing or air travel. Because if TSA steals my stuff or I fall off the boat I don't want lose a good gun. :D

Edit: Back to the OPs original question. Moving between Glock and 1911 is not seemless for me. On the range no problem but cold out of the holster the Glock will point high and I will throw the first shot left. But Glocks have lots of boolits so it is ok to miss the first shot right? :rolleyes: Strangely enough the revolver does not pose a problem for me. For most social purposes I have opted for the 1911 because I shoot it better. But Ol Glock 23 still hangs around. Let's face it there just isn't a $500 1911 that fills the fighting handgun role like a Glock.

Last edited:

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Self defense of me and mine does not change with the weather or my clothing. If I have a need to defend me and mine, it needs to be the best tool for the job. Whether CQB, taking down an active shooter at 50 yards or putting a round 3" from my baby's head at 15 yards, it needs to work the same every time.

I train, practice and compete with the same gun. How can anyone afford to wonder what they might be drawing???

GNRPowdeR

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Bartholomew Co.
    Around two years ago I decided to change from my trusted 1911 Springfield Champion to the M&P Family. I have my primary and BUG setup the same, so transition isn't an issue. Carry location depends on environment and clothing requirements.

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    Self defense of me and mine does not change with the weather or my clothing. If I have a need to defend me and mine, it needs to be the best tool for the job. Whether CQB, taking down an active shooter at 50 yards or putting a round 3" from my baby's head at 15 yards, it needs to work the same every time.

I train, practice and compete with the same gun. How can anyone afford to wonder what they might be drawing???

I'm competent with many rifles and shotguns as well. I should only rely on one handgun? As to putting a round within 3" of your child's head....I'd say there was a failure at situational awareness in the first place and you are watching too much TV.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    I currently have nine different handguns that are all the same. Some full size, some mid size some sub compact. Some are all steel, some are alloy frame and one is even polymer. I can choose between .45, .40 or 9mm. But, they all have been modified to have the same trigger feel and the pull weight on each is within a very few ounces. 90% of the time I carry the same gun. But, even when I don't, it is, essentially, the same gun.

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Lawrence County
    I can't carry every day because my work doesn't allow firearms. However, when I do carry - which is almost any time I'm not going to work - I carry the same firearm. On rare occasion I carry a different sidearm around the house, just to be different, but it's always a firearm with which I am familiar.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    I'm competent with many rifles and shotguns as well. I should only rely on one handgun? As to putting a round within 3" of your child's head....I'd say there was a failure at situational awareness in the first place and you are watching too much TV.

This thread is not intended to be argumentative. Please refrain from criticizing others. The op stated no wrong answers. Please Pay attention to what you like and disregard what you disagree with. Full stop.

Sometimes I wish the negative rep button was still around.

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    No, and it probably isn't all that serious when you start the poll out with bacon. Don't worry about future posts on your threads.

Tyler-The-Piker

Boondock Saint
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    Jun 24, 2013
    ><(((((*>
    I tried carrying various platforms (revolvers, pistols with external safeties, etc etc) then I carried a Glock 27 for 1 1/2yrs. Now I've carried the 42 for the past 1 1/2yrs (same belt, holster style, position-IWB @ 4 oclock). My next EDC will undoubtedly be something Glock...in the same spot.

ETA: I voted "bacon, bacon, bacon"

daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.9%
    90   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    I have a few firearms that serve different roles, but when it come to my daily carry gun, it's the same one every day. I love having more than one gun, but when it comes to defensive firearms, I rely on only 1 handgun, and one rifle. (SBR)

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    My apologies for my previous rant about being argumentative. I did not want to shut down discussion. I have read every post with an open mind trying to learn if I can do anything differently/better. There are many posters that I respect greatly and haven't noticed their comments.

Medic2464

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2015
    Greenwood
    Same EDC every day. I put a lot of time and $$ into finding the gun that fits me, and I can control. In a stressful situation you should have a weapon use can delpoy and use without having to think. The extra second you have to use to remember which gun you have, if the safety is on, is there a round in the chamber, which sites are on it, etc..... could be your last second without an extra hole in you. Thats my $.02 worth.

Top Bottom