• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    I have been looking at a couple different Edenpure heaters lately with winter coming and was curious what others might think about them. They surely don't heat as cheaply as they say but if they help me cut back on the overall bills then I am interested. Any input whether positive or negative would be appreciated.

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    In my house when it gets cold we use a blanket(if inside of house drops below 70*) If inside of house drop below 60* then I turn on the CENTRAL HEAT

chocktaw2

Home on the Range
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 5, 2011
    Mayberry
    I've got one and like it very much. Great for "spot" heating, meaning one room, or a small area. It will dry things out, contrary to advertised claims though. Other than that, I like it.

cburnworth

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2010
    I have one & love it. We replaced the furnace last year so we didn't use any of our heaters, but my daughters room is cold still so I might have to use it this winter. I used it along with 4 other heaters before the furnace was replaced & I would say my bill was about the same as using the furnace. I noticed a big difference between it & the oil heaters. I did not notice it drying the air out at all. I would buy a couple more if I needed them. now one thing to be careful of, although it will not start a fire. It will warp the plastic if the exhaust area is blocked.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I have been looking at a couple different Edenpure heaters lately with winter coming and was curious what others might think about them. They surely don't heat as cheaply as they say but if they help me cut back on the overall bills then I am interested. Any input whether positive or negative would be appreciated.

This seems to be a matter of physics to me. I'm not taking a shot at you or anything, but there are only so many ways to produce heat and I doubt that these are some magical, low-cost, heat producing boxes. Instead, the idea is, you turn your thermostat down for your entire house, put this heater in the room(s) you are using most often. You keep those rooms at a comfortable level while the rest of your house is chillier...thus your money savings. Not a bad idea, but I'd have to see if these units can produce a BTU's worth of heat cheaper than some other sources before deciding on its worth.

ralphb72

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 11, 2008
    Greens Fork, IN
    It is a very expensive 1500 watt electric heater.

1500W is 1500W whether it is from a ceramic heater, a wire / resistance heater, or a crystal heater, 1500w of energy gets converted from electricity into heat.

It depends on what you heat with now, and how much of your house you are NOT going to heat, whether it will save you money or cost you money. My neighbor has one, she lives alone, and turns her thermostat way down then heats the room she is in with her little heater. She loves it.

Someone else called me and said her electric bill tripled! She was furious. She heats with Gas normally, but got two of these "efficient" quarts heaters and her electric bill was through the roof. I asked her how much her gas bill went down and she couldn't tell me. I told her that if her gas bill went down more then her electric bill went up, then she was saving money.

SOOOooo, it depends, on what you use now and how you use the heater, but it is indead, just an expensive 1500w space heater. I have a "milkhouse" space heater in my garage that cost me $20, it has a fan on it, a thermostat, and two settings 750W and 1500W.

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Mini-Milkhouse-Heater-750-1501/dp/B0043GAZE8[/ame]

Last edited:

LeeStreet

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    South of Steuben Co.
    Ralphb72 pretty much summed it up. You can only get so much heat out of 1500w. Those amish heaters are a joke, same 1500w. The small heaters are good for zone heating, when the rest of the house is cooler. In my ammo room, I use a paroblic electric heaters just to keep me warm.

Magneto

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 6, 2009
    New Albany
    I like mine. If it gets really cold (below 40) I have a oil register heater I turn on low and keeps the upstairs nicely warm. I have thought about another, but might wait until next year.

zip

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    I have one and love it. Our house is older (built 1924) and our furnace is about 30 years old. Our Edenpure is good enough to heat the front part of our house to 65 during the day and keep the furnace from running. Saving us about $100 a month over running the gas furnace

EvilBlackGun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   1
    Apr 11, 2011
    Mid-eastern
    YOUR GOOGLE-SEARCH FEATURE IS BROKEN ???

12 pages of comments there. Basic Best-Hint: buy the clone (same country of origin) at your local hardware, and don't worry shipping it back to BeiChing when it breaks.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Save yourself some money and buy the $20 1500W heater at Walmart, it will heat exactly the same as any other 1500W heater.

And the comment about not drying the air out... that is completely bogus unless it has some sort of onboard humidification system.

bman1962

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 15, 2010
    Huntington, Indiana
    You get 3.414 btu's of heat per watt used of electricity regardless if it's Eden Pure or a wall-mart cheapy. Save the extra cash and get a cheap heater if you have to have an electric heater and use the extra money to buy some ammo or part of a reloading set up and shoot alot more!!!

pirate

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jul 2, 2011
    Love ours. It knocked our gas bill down about 50 bucks on average over the last 6 years compared to years past.

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    Everyone else pretty well sums it up. Electric heat is electric heat is electric heat. We have one. It was purchase by my fiance' prior to us Becoming us. It doesn't do any better of a job than a cheapy chinamart heater of the same size. After a $650 power bill last winter, I installed a wood-stove, which does 10 times the job of keeping the whole 1200 sqft of my house cozy all winter. The cost in firewood for the whole winter will be less than on months electric bill :D

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Everyone else pretty well sums it up. Electric heat is electric heat is electric heat. We have one. It was purchase by my fiance' prior to us Becoming us. It doesn't do any better of a job than a cheapy chinamart heater of the same size. After a $650 power bill last winter, I installed a wood-stove, which does 10 times the job of keeping the whole 1200 sqft of my house cozy all winter. The cost in firewood for the whole winter will be less than on months electric bill :D
    This pretty much sums it all up...

I went to wood not long ago and I love it. Haven't even touched the central heat. I'm heating 4000 SF with a single wood burning unit centrally located in the home... My cost on firewood so far probably comes out to about $50-70/year.

Electric savings is estimated at about $2500-3500/year

Top Bottom