• ...and so much more!
  • DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    Cousin Morgie didn't have much to say about the Illinois exodus when I commented that the biggest complaints I hear from region rats is TONS of illinais moving over, and then wanting everything to be just like the place they were trying to get away from.
    She works for Rauner.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    I don't see the problem with this. As responsible firearm owners we should know where our bullet will stop. Not just the first 25 yards of travel.

I read it and unless I missed something in the article, he wasn't calling anyone specific out. He is just asking for people to stop shooting in such a way that stray rounds could injure someone.
    Did you miss this part?
    As his area becomes more congested with homes and residents, Ward is asking county government officials to review ordinances — and for county sheriff's police for better enforcement of laws meant to protect citizens from endangerment.

We couldn't agree more with Ward's sentiment.

Followed by this gem. Of course he fails to mention that it is already illegal to discharge a firearm in Hammond.
    And such incidents aren’t exclusive to rural areas. Earlier this month, 13-year-old Noah Inman died after being hit in Hammond with a bullet that someone apparently fired into the air as part of Independence Day revelry, police said.

How many tragically preventable outrages must occur before something is done?
    Just what do you think he means by "something is done"? Could he mean pass more laws against guns?

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    My issue with that statement is "close proximity". I am reminded of "common sense gun laws".

Given proper engineering, I don't have any problem at all with people shooting on the other side of a wall from a playground or daycare.
    In the author's opinion, I am sure in close proximity means in Lake County for starters. Then he would move on to Porter, Jasper, and Newton.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    The goal is obvious- no shooting unless it's at a designated, regulated range....and then they'll come for the ranges.

We can be the most safe shooters in the world, and that will be our goal, but don't think that 100% capture in a berm would satisfy these people.

...and "the full letter of the law"? Someone flunked Idiom 101. No surprise; the writing in the local papers is abysmal.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Ssshhh you cant make sense this is INGO!!

Cali said lead is getting into the water which is bad. Plus the aninals are eating the lead and dieing. You are a bambi killer. Evil. :faint:

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    At first glance, it may look as if he's stating for people to be responsible gun owners.

As his area becomes more congested with homes and residents, Ward is asking county government officials to review ordinances — and for county sheriff's police for better enforcement of laws meant to protect citizens from endangerment'

To me, this looks like he's asking for laws similar to the proposed law that failed twice in Porter County.

And such incidents aren’t exclusive to rural areas. Earlier this month, 13-year-old Noah Inman died after being hit in Hammond with a bullet that someone apparently fired into the air as part of Independence Day revelry, police said.

And this. It's already illegal to fire a gun into the air in Hammond. And illegal to shoot someone.

Lives are at risk. No gun ownership or land rights trump the safety and security of citizens

And this sounds just like people that say, my safety trumps the 2nd amendment.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    My brother got drawn for a pheasant hunt near Monticello and I was shocked at how flat it is up there.....(I guess a mile high glacier will do that to land)...With that being said this is obviously just a way to rein in gun rights and freedom....

Oh and Hough's comment about lead was spot on and funny as usual...I wish he would run for Senate or Congress....We need some Midwest common sense in D.C...Hough's humor reminds me of Thaddeus McCotter...

[video=youtube;a_VlUGt28Hw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_VlUGt28Hw[/video]

[video=youtube;ZyAnkbcElAA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZyAnkbcElAA[/video]

[video=youtube;oUtiOhGffEc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUtiOhGffEc[/video]

[video=youtube;5TPrBDHYoUw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5TPrBDHYoUw&t=349s[/video]

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Heh. I knew that was your post even without seeing the usernames :)

Yeah, I know about the dangers of lead, but this whole "keep it out of the ground" thing has always perplexed me.

Heck, I grew up in a house with lead paint, handling bullets, solder that still had lead....the weight for my Pinewood derby car was pure lead.

So far it hasn't affected me in any discernible way...wait...where are my pants?

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    My brother got drawn for a pheasant hunt near Monticello and I was shocked at how flat it is up there.....(I guess a mile high glacier will do that to land)...With that being said this is obviously just a way to rein in gun rights and freedom....

Oh and Hough's comment about lead was spot on and funny as usual...I wish he would run for Senate or Congress....We need some Midwest common sense in D.C...Hough's humor reminds me of Thaddeus McCotter...

[...]

I've heard quite a bit from Thaddeus over the years, first on "Red Eye," but now he's a regular guest on the John Batchelor Show, dispensing his wisdom in the form of dry wit.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Years ago I heard a story that is similar to this one, in a slightly different way.

A group of folks who all had their private pilots license thought it would be cool to land their planes in their back yard and just walk home when they were done flying. So they got together and built their own neighborhood around a small runway. Everything they did was legal at the time every persons home was built, along with all the specs they would need for the runway. Time passed, and property as it tends to do was bought and sold as owners moved on.

Years later a new homeowner didn't like the sound of planes coming and going at all times so he sued to force the closing of the runway as it was disturbing his sleep. As I understand it the idiot won. He won even after buying a home from where he could see and walk to the runway from his own back yard.

I understand if folks don't like planes flying overhead at all hours. My opinion is don't buy a home near an airport. Duh!

Same thing goes for everything else. Don't like shooting? Don't buy in the country. Don't like the smell of animal feces? Don't buy in the country. Don't like lots of traffic? Don't buy in the city.

What is it that makes people think they can go somewhere and impose their sensitivities upon all of their neighbors? That rates very high on the sphincter factor scale.

Regards,

Doug

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso

So, in general:), what percentage of these cases are won by the idiots? And I am presuming state law, and many other factors will determine the answer?

Doug

In my world, nuisance claims in general are few and far between. I couldn't give a good percentage overall, but from what I have seen, this arises often from farm operations and some non-farm pantywaist moving to the country. In those circumstances, the pantywaist seldom wins, but in Indiana, we normally protect the farms pretty well.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    In my world, nuisance claims in general are few and far between. I couldn't give a good percentage overall, but from what I have seen, this arises often from farm operations and some non-farm pantywaist moving to the country. In those circumstances, the pantywaist seldom wins, but in Indiana, we normally protect the farms pretty well.

I could see that with farming. I recall that someone up here near Allen County tried to sue a pig farm after moving nearby because they decided they didn't like the "fresh farm aroma" that came from it. This after the pig farm had preceded their purchase of the home that was downwind.

I am glad to hear the pre-existing folks often win.

Doug

Top Bottom