• ...and so much more!
  • joekoug

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Howdy folks

My dad passed away last week and I split his guns up between my grandfather and I. One of the handguns I kept was a Colt Combat Commander in 45. I have never owned a 1911 so this is my first. From my snoopings on the internet I found that this gun was made in 1977 or 1978 from the serial number 70BS68XXX. IT seems to be in good but used condition.

I guess my big question is, does anyone EDC one of these things? How reliable are they? What should I do to go over it? I carry (and always have) a Glock 27, but think I want to start carrying this gun because it has meaning to me. IS this a bad idea? Should this gun just sit in the safe? I don't know enough about these to even ascertain it's value. I will never sell this gun, so I don't want to keep it locked up just because it is (or maybe isn't) worth money. This gun will be passed down for many generations to come.

As always, I appreciate all input and opinions.

Thanks,

Joe :patriot: :ingo:

Flickr: joekoug's Photostream

dmax

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 25, 2011
    When my agency transitioned from revolvers to auto-loaders, I carried a Commander for several years - on duty and off. It is very reliable. I carried the Remington 'flying ashtrays', and it fed & functioned perfectly.

It was mildly reworked, and I managed to qualify master with it. When the department went to the Glock, it took me some time before I could give up the 1911. I still shoot Glocks more than the Commander, but the Colt is at by bedside every night.

Keep it. Shoot it. When all the plastic guns melt - your grandchildren will still be well armed.

Sorry about your father's passing

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Howdy folks

I guess my big question is, does anyone EDC one of these things? How reliable are they? What should I do to go over it? I carry (and always have) a Glock 27, but think I want to start carrying this gun because it has meaning to me. IS this a bad idea? Should this gun just sit in the safe? I don't know enough about these to even ascertain it's value. I will never sell this gun, so I don't want to keep it locked up just because it is (or maybe isn't) worth money. This gun will be passed down for many generations to come.

First, sorry for your loss.

Lots of people carry Commanders and similar guns. 99.99% of the value your particular gun is the sentimental value it has for you. I would not worry about any collector value unless it's unfired in the original box with paperwork, receipts, etc.

There's no way to know what works needs done until you shoot a few hundred rounds through it. If it functions well, then the only things to worry about are any ergonomic features you might want to change. If it does not, then it will depend on why it doesn't work.

Once you determine it is 100% reliable with your carry ammo with you shooting it, I wouldn't hesitate to carry it, but not before that.

One thing to consider: if you have to use it, you may lose it, either temporarily or permanently. Not likely to happen, but something to consider. That's why I would prefer not to carry (or keep at home for defense) something with emotional value attached.

chipdog4

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Looks like a nice gun with the usual wear and tear.
    Replace the springs, especially the recoil spring.

I usually see the older Commanders for $700-800.

Shoot it a bunch, and the gun will tell you what you need to do to it.
    Beavertail grip safety if the hammer bites you. Upgraded sights if you can't see those.

dlbrown75

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 90.9%
    9   1   1
    May 2, 2011
    Newcastle, IN
    Definitely carry it. These hold there worth. I love mine. It will not fail you. Sorry so short, my daughter is sleeping on my chest so typing one handed. Sorry bout your dad.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    The Commander is my favorite Colt! I own and shoot several different versions and frequently carry a Light Weight Commander in 38 Super. Get a good leather holster and carry it around the house to see how you like the way it carries and feels. Shoot it a lot and see what ammo feeds the best and hits at POA. Like mentioned above you may want to change the springs but the Wolf kits are relatively cheap. Enjoy it and don't let it get away. :twocents:

Davis0023

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Aug 30, 2011
    NorthCentral Indiana
    Sorry for your loss. But as others have said and I too agree it is a great gun and it holds its value too. But more so it has value to you even if it was a High Point. With that said I feel Rhino makes the best point , careful on using or carrying.

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    Sorry for your loss also, in 1982 I purchased a new Colt Combat Commander in Texas and carried it until some dirt bag stole it in a burglary. I have replaced it and before Glock came out carried one for years. A fine firearm. I used the Speer 200 gr version of the "Flying Ashtray" in mine.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    First off, I am sorry to hear about your loss.
    I have to agree with the majority here. I would shoot it to be certain the loads you choose to carry are reliable, and get a good leather holster and carry it. I like to replace the recoil spring on a used gun that I have no idea about round count, just for GP, but other than that, any other issues will not arise until you shoot it.

Kev

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 21, 2012
    South Bend
    I too own a Colt Commander and it is my favorite handgun. I've sent hundreds of shots through it without a single issue. Always a smooth shot and not a bad carry if you OC. Might be a lil big to CC.
    Keep it, use it... be proud of it and the memories it contains!

vork08

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    NWI
    Sorry to hear of your loss.

The first thing to be done, IMHO, is to break it down and familiarize yourself with it. Then, break it down again. Clean it, and break it down again. Function test and range time. If you are already a "Glock Guy" odds are it will be short lived as your EDC, but being able to carry with confidence and comfort on occasion to preserve those memories of him would be a priceless tribute. Again, IMHO

Top Bottom