• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    I am soon to be ordering a Vortex spotter from AAoptics, (thanks in advance!) but I need some help selecting a bipod. Frankly, I know pretty much nothing about them.

I was thinking of ordering a Vortex Summit XLT, just out of brand-whoring. It will see use as a range spotter, but also as a field spotter for elk hunting out west.

Additionally, can anyone educate me on mounting a rifle to a tripod? I often hunt coyotes in high grass, and the ability to get the rifle up further than a bipod would be pretty awesome!

As always, thanks INGO! :ingo:

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    I use Gitzo tripods. High quality. Might give them a look.

Price goes up with reduction in weight.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    Price goes up with reduction in weight.

Price also goes up in load bearing ability.

There's some $600+ carbon fiber tripods out there and they're heavy, but the load capacity is pretty high.

Some of Vortex's tripods are pretty light, which is very nice, but the load capacity is 4-6 pounds, I forget

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Light isn't always good.
    Heavier tripods will stabilize during higher winds. Lighter tripods will allow the scope slight movement.

mondomojo

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2015
    India-no-place
    I shot photos professionally for over 7 years - not the exact same application as yours but really pretty much the same for all practical purposes. I've owned many, many tripods in those years and know what works from a ton of experience "running and gunning" week after week. My advice is to buy quality and buy just once. A cheaper tripod will disappoint and not likely be used much. As stated above, carbon fiber is going to be the most lightweight but also most affected be the elements. I swear by carbon fiber because it is light and easily transported so that I always have it with me. In my book weight and portability are critical factors to consider. A big heavy tripod will get trekked out into the field less often bc of the inconvenient weight and will be used less. If you get a big heavy one and next thing you know you're buying another lighter one that you can and will take with you with ease. A walmart tripod will fall apart before long, you'll be disappointed when it does and you'll spend more $$$ to replace it with something incrementally better. Start cycle over, rinse and repeat. Don't do it, cheap stuff that gets replaced often is really expensive in the end.

My solution is a quality lightweight "travel" tripod by Benro. Small, light and very, very portable at around 3 pounds. When I need extra stability I hang a tripod weight bag from the center tube accessory hook and add rocks or sand or whatever is heavy and handy. The added weight makes it rock solid when needed without making it less portable. Just dump the rocks when done and go. All of this stuff is available online. I recommend Adorama photo for the tripod and bag. While not cheap, it'll be the last tripod you'll ever need, it will serve you well for years and will get lots of use. Read lots of reviews before you buy and don't go too cheap as you'll get what you pay for in terms of utility and durability. Above all make sure the central shaft has a hook to hang a bag from. Just my 2 cents.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Light isn't always good.
    Heavier tripods will stabilize during higher winds. Lighter tripods will allow the scope slight movement.

True enough. Mine has a hook on the bottom and came with a bag you could fill with rocks, dirt, saved etc and hang for stability. That way you didn't have to carry the weight

dennymac

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 21, 2009
    La Grange, KY
    Spotting Scope Stands

Good afternoon. If I may toot my own horn, I believe that I have one of the finest Spotting Scope Stands on the market. Lifetime warranty. Locally made and assembled. In use all over the world by professional and sanctioned shooters. Take a look and see for yourself. Super Spotter Scope Stands Email or message me for more information. My cell number is on the web site. Thanks, and have a great day. DennyMac

Top Bottom