• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dprimm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Just West of Indianapolis
    My Ryobi string trimmer has had it. Last year I replaced the hose lines and the recoil assembly parts. Now it is leaking gas again … this time out of the screw that holds the choke lever. At least to the best of my ability to locate where it leaks. Wife has approved me getting a new one, as this is getting ridiculous. While a great learning experience has been had working on this one, too much time is starting to go into it.

I start looking and holy cow there are options available! I know what is NEEDED and what would be nice to have. What I don’t know is what I don’t know.

I need the ability to put a blade on the machine … so a straight shaft is required. But also need to be able to change back to a bump head easily for around the house.

Needs to be well balanced.

I do not need a professional level machine, as I will probably max at 10-15 hours a year on the machine, total use. (most of this will come from trimming mtb trails, hence the blade requirement) At the farm, we use professional levels, but 8 hour days of fence clearing was hard on them.

An easy start would be nice. Toro has the assist option (drill or their device). Have heard of this spring assist start, but have never used it. Experiences?

Always used 2 cycle engines, but now see the 4 stroke. Don’t know how fast the 4 strokes eat oil. Anyone got experience with these?

Budget … under $200. Less would be better. But willing to spend a little more now for a much better machine.

Any thoughts/suggestions/ experiences would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    It's still early in its life cycle, but I went ahead and got the Troy-bilt 4 cycle one (these philistines here were messing around with an electric one, cordless at that) but I can't remember how much it was. I can blame that on my brain. It wasn't firing on all eight at the time. I think the Ryobi attachments will even work with it, though I've been too lazy to try. I do have a few of those. I just found the electric starter for 10 bux at Goodwill, as well, so we'll know about that as soon as I figure out where I put it. Sorry, having one of my spells.

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    Do research before you buy, Chinese engines are flooding the small engine powered tool market.

Chinese engines are not necessarily always bad but parts can be hard to locate and the materials used are cheaper. That's a big problem for me as I repair my own tools so I will not buy chinese powered gas tools.

dprimm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Just West of Indianapolis
    I love my echo 2 stroke. Easy to put string in, starts right up. I would avoid the 4 strokes. Echo, stihl, maybe husqvarna.

why avoid the 4 stroke?

Do research before you buy, Chinese engines are flooding the small engine powered tool market.

Chinese engines are not necessarily always bad but parts can be hard to locate and the materials used are cheaper. That's a big problem for me as I repair my own tools so I will not buy chinese powered gas tools.

my google-fu is not strong this week. Any ideas which ones are NOT made in China?

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I had a Stihl for years. I gave it away in 2006 and it was still running. I only had to replace the string head. I do not remember where it was made. I bought a Troy Built brand unit when I bought this house in 2012. It is definately not USA built. It has been dependable. It restarted with old stale gas this spring after setting the winter in an unheated shed.

lizerdking

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 7, 2012
    Almost on lake Mich
    I've had a craftsman for 10 years now, it fires right up with old gas in it every spring. It takes the short lengths of the thicker string that loop through, I find these quick and easy to change and better than messing with winding string, it'll take a blade too. I had a craftsman chainsaw that sucked from the day i bought it, upgraded to an echo and love it. I can't recommend craftsman as a whole (honestly i think i just got lucky) but this model seems to be running well, i'd say go echo but you're going to pay for it.
    I have a 4 cycle walk behind arens that does a great job, but the wheels on don't roll over my rocky/uneven country terrain well... I'll give you a deal on it :)

tocaman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    MT->MI->IN->SC
    When I had a much larger area to take care of, I purchased a Troy-Bilt 4-stroke TB575SS in 2009 and it's still going strong. Uses the same non-ethanol gas my mower uses, starts easily when you can follow manufacturers instructions and can use all the different attachments I've seen. I beat on that thing for a good three years before we moved. We have the blower, brush cutter, 2 trimmer shafts (one straight, one curved Craftsman), pole saw and a tiller. I haven't noticed any oil consumption. Clean the air filter/spark arrestor, change the oil and check/adjust the rockers every spring and it's GTG. When you get into Stihl/Husq, you're looking at $200 for the engine only with another $100 for the trimmer shaft and another $100 for the brush cutter attachment.

rw02kr43

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    Paragon
    I just got a echo 2 stroke and I love it. Amazing power, not too heavy. I had a craftsman 2 stroke that never did work right. Sears wanted to charge me to fix it. Even though it never actually ran. I got it for christmas and didn't try to use it until about april. they said that was too long and they wouldn't replace it.

Jason

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Don’t know how fast the 4 strokes eat oil. Anyone got experience with these?
    Most 4-stroke small OPE engines like those on a string trimmer are "4-mix" engines. This means they operate like a 4-stroke engine but they get their oil from a gas-oil mix like a 2-stroke. The mix ratio for Stihl is 50:1 and IIRC that is the same as their 2-strokes. However, the difference is in the fact that they burn much cleaner and more efficient. Theoretically you will burn less gas & oil in a 4-mix, but realistically you won't really notice the difference. I have a Stihl FS130R, it's a 4-mix. At first I didn't think I was going to like it because 4-mix just sounds so wrong. But I've come to love it. It's starts a LOT easier than most 2-strokes I've dealt with and it purrs along nicely (not nearly as loud as a 2-stroke). Of course the down-side is that the power:weight ratio is less for a 4-mix. You have more parts in the engine, making it bigger and heavier for the same power production. To be honest, unless you're going directly from an older 2-stroke trimmer to a new one of equivalent power or equivalent weight, you probably won't notice much of a difference. Just my rambling thoughts...

I would avoid the 4 strokes. Echo, stihl, maybe husqvarna.

For what reason? I can list a laundry list of reasons you should use them, do you have an valid reasons to stay away from them?

pjcalla

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Hamilton County
    I was on a landscaping/mowing crew while in high school and during the summers through college. We used Echo 2-strokes. They always ran good, started right up. We had a Stihl 2-stroke as well, but I preferred the Echo due to the balance and angle of the handle/head. When I stopped mowing for money, I bought an Echo for use around my house. I've had it for close to 9 years, and haven't had to do anything to it besides normal maintenance (fuel filter, air filter, fuel lines, etc.). It always starts in the spring after sitting in the garage during the winter.

I don't think you can go wrong with the Echo or Stihl.

Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else
    I've had an Echo straight shaft for about 15 years now. Had zero problems with it. I had an Echo before it that was probably 20 + years old and still running when I retired it for this one. The saw blade works well even though I've cut stuff that is much bigger than it's rated for. Never an issue. I know that at lot of people on here like their Stihls, too, but I have no experience with those.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I'll speak up for my experience with a Husqvarna 323L. I've had it for 10 seasons now and it's always started right up (except for the occasions where I forget to reset the stop switch). I used it a lot more the first few years I had it--as time has passed, I've just not trimmed as much as I used to. Based on my experience with this one, I'd buy another.

Dudley

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2014
    Lafayette

+1 I lived on the Wildcat creek for about 4 years. In the first year I managed to completely destroy two cheap $100 trimmers. I decided to purchase a Stihl FS-90 that was 8 or 9 years ago and it's still going strong! I also bought the chainsaw adapted to install on small tree trimming jobs around the house. Great trimmer/ tools IMHO.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I have a 4-stroke Craftsman trimmer. SO much nicer than the 2-stroke that is also hanging in the shed. Starts on the first pull, doesn't need oil in the gas, quieter, less vibration, and of course.... no smoke.

I am SURE there are some 2-strokes that can run circles around this one - but not for what I spent. I am sure there are also much nice 4-strokes, but once again, not for what I spent. I also have the edger attachment, and it works pretty well.

SMiller

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Hamilton Co.
    Dedicated line trimmer Stihl FS100RX or if you plan on using a blade or any attachments go with the Stihl FS90R, use only Stihl HP Ultra oil, any other trimmer is a complete joke and will be crap, you can spend $200 on two crappy trimmers on spend $400 once and have a trimmer that you cannot kill...

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    I love my echo 2 stroke. Easy to put string in, starts right up. I would avoid the 4 strokes. Echo, stihl, maybe husqvarna.

^^^^^
    THIS. I have an Echo 2-stroke. I have had that thing for about 10 years now. I replaced the head on it last year, nothing prior to that. Very reliable. Just won't die! Stihl and Husqvarna also top notch brands, probably even a cut above Echo if you want the best.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    STIHL or ECHO ~ commercial grade, not homeowner grade.

I have an ECHO string trimmer and its an excellent tool. Starts EASY every year. Plenty of power to cut through weeds and grass. But I have Rheumatoid Arthritis and the vibrations rattle my hands for hours after using it around our 8+ acre property.

My other outdoor power tools are all STIHL brand and I just got rid of my 20+ year old STIHL chainsaw and bought a new one with their anti-vibration system. Can't figure out how they did it, but darned if it doesn't work great! I can use that saw for hours and it won't bother my hands. I also have a STIHL anti-vibration hedge trimmer that is great and a STIHL gas powered blower.

I'm looking at buying an anti-vibration STIHL string trimmer. But only because of the vibration problems.

My ECHO is great and I'd recommend EITHER or BOTH brands, but if vibration is an issue for you, go with a STIHL anti-vibration tool. Both have professional/commercial grade tools, I never buy the 'homeowner' grade power tools because they typically don't last more than a half dozen years. I can get easily get 10 or 15 years out of commercial grade outdoor power tools, sometimes over 20. Its well worth the extra money to buy quality.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom