• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Martin Draco

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 24, 2010
    Has anybody purchased or built one of these kits? I have a couple and am NOT impressed. They're advertised as one of the best AK's using original Russian tooling. From my experience, they seem to ill fitting, out of spec junk, that look like they've been de-milled with a chainsaw and sledgehammer.

Anybody else have any experience with these?:dunno:

Tomfoolery

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Auburn IN
    Egyptian AKs are funny. It is true they are manufactured with Russian equipment but not by Russian workers. Tools, dies, presses, all of that wears out. Also having seen Egyptian manufacturing standards first hand I cannot even try to compare it with Russias. A Egyptian Maadi or Steyr or whatever they're called is in effect a Russian equipment gun.. it's just a **** poor one.

I've sorted over dosens of Egyptian kits and I have never seen one that had any better finish then a typical WASR, most of the time they are below that standard too. My opinion is this.

If you want a quality kit look for Russian, Bulgarian, Polish, East German, Hungarian and Yugos that didn't see the Balkans. Those are top kits and will be worth the money. Stuff like Egyptians, Romy Gs, and even the obscure N. Korean kits lack the quality of the others. Romy Gs being the best of that lower end bunch.

KoopaKGB

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 99%
    99   1   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    South Bend
    Egyptian AKs are funny. It is true they are manufactured with Russian equipment but not by Russian workers. Tools, dies, presses, all of that wears out. Also having seen Egyptian manufacturing standards first hand I cannot even try to compare it with Russias. A Egyptian Maadi or Steyr or whatever they're called is in effect a Russian equipment gun.. it's just a **** poor one.

I've sorted over dosens of Egyptian kits and I have never seen one that had any better finish then a typical WASR, most of the time they are below that standard too. My opinion is this.

If you want a quality kit look for Russian, Bulgarian, Polish, East German, Hungarian and Yugos that didn't see the Balkans. Those are top kits and will be worth the money. Stuff like Egyptians, Romy Gs, and even the obscure N. Korean kits lack the quality of the others. Romy Gs being the best of that lower end bunch.

Thats a perspective I had not considered. I have no experience with Egyptian kits but your description is sobering.

Martin Draco

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 24, 2010

I've built all of the above, except for the Korean. The Romy's are actually my favorites. Egyptians seem to be, rifles that were built, rejected, de-milled, and put on the US market. They are by far the worst parts kits I've ever seen. I have built AK's., that from outward appearance, look worn out, but have probably been carried more than shot. Egyptian kits are so out of spec, I'd be better of buying a bunch of non-matching parts from different countries, and building a rifle (which I have actually done before, with great results).

Tomfoolery

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Auburn IN
    Well the beauty of the AK is that you can stack unbelievably bad tolerances and it'll function just fine. Other then getting your headspace and rails straight there is little about this rifle that has to be "in spec".

I agree though, Egyptians are crap. For the most part people pick them up to complete collections or because the Arabic text is in fact cool looking. I'll take a mint state Bulgy kit any day over an Egyptian though. That crutch folder is also the WORST stock to try to shoot off of. You simply cannot get a solid cheek rest against it.

Tomfoolery

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Auburn IN
    Like anything else you need to DYODD before plunking down the cash. If you're disappointed with the kits when they arrive there are a number of sites (including this one) where you will be able to resell them.

Top Bottom