• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dieselrealtor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    178   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    Morgan County
    I worked with someone years ago that stated he had ejected, twice. Vietnam or Korea, not sure which as it was 30 or so years ago I heard the story.

He said it was extremely painful & if I remember correctly he was in the hospital afterward.

He was in another situation where he was told to eject & tried to put it off knowing how bad it would hurt.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Possibly thought it might catch fire? Have a friend that was an F-14 pilot, he ejected twice. Said it was very painful and if I remember correctly somewhere around a 50% serious injury/fatality rate. Had the seat from the second ejection in his basement. Quite an interesting looking piece of kit.

trimman83

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 22, 2010
    Warren Park
    The ol boy who crashed into the Ramada/Indy 35 years ago ejected also. This is video of my cousin about a year before the Ramada incident. They say both planes had the aerodynamics of a brick after losing power. My cousin did an "S' maneuver and landed. I think someone was looking out for Chicago that day.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    The ol boy who crashed into the Ramada/Indy 35 years ago ejected also. This is video of my cousin about a year before the Ramada incident. They say both planes had the aerodynamics of a brick after losing power. My cousin did an "S' maneuver and landed. I think someone was looking out for Chicago that day.

Dudes a hero for that!

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I worked with someone years ago that stated he had ejected, twice. Vietnam or Korea, not sure which as it was 30 or so years ago I heard the story.

He said it was extremely painful & if I remember correctly he was in the hospital afterward.

He was in another situation where he was told to eject & tried to put it off knowing how bad it would hurt.
    I served alongside pilots that had to eject.
    They described it like being hit in the ass with a freight train.
    Ejecting actually does irreparable damage to the human body.
    Three ejections for any pilot is automatic lifetime grounding from ejection seat equipped planes.
    That's what I've been told anyway.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Per a report on FoxNews, the pilot is Ok. I have a friend that is an F-35 test pilot and so far the F-35 has a 100% safe ejection rate. It's too bad when a pilot if forced to bail out, but nice to know that the F-35 ejection system pilot friendly. Not many ejection systems allow a 0/0 ejection and walk away.

xwing

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2012
    Greene County
    Per a report on FoxNews, the pilot is Ok. I have a friend that is an F-35 test pilot and so far the F-35 has a 100% safe ejection rate. It's too bad when a pilot if forced to bail out, but nice to know that the F-35 ejection system pilot friendly. Not many ejection systems allow a 0/0 ejection and walk away.

Yes. I was surprised the chute was large enough to arrest his momentum in time, since he bailed from 0 feet.

Top Bottom